FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1297709-expertflyer-com-help-desk-thread.html)

sunguy Apr 26, 2020 5:15 pm

Hi All,

Maybe I have missed this somewhere - but I cannot see the answer....so, hopefully someone can help.

Is there any way to see where a fare basis code is valid to/from - for example - I know that the code INX1T1S6 has valid departure points of ARN and SOF with BA/AY/IB/AA to HNL (or other Hawaii major airports) - but that knowledge is what I have learned from reading here ...rather than finding out from somewhere like expert flyer.

So, is there any way to find at least valid departure airports for a fare basis code ?

Thanks,

S

ExpertFlyer Voice Apr 26, 2020 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by sunguy (Post 32326970)
Hi All,

Maybe I have missed this somewhere - but I cannot see the answer....so, hopefully someone can help.

Is there any way to see where a fare basis code is valid to/from - for example - I know that the code INX1T1S6 has valid departure points of ARN and SOF with BA/AY/IB/AA to HNL (or other Hawaii major airports) - but that knowledge is what I have learned from reading here ...rather than finding out from somewhere like expert flyer.

So, is there any way to find at least valid departure airports for a fare basis code ?

Thanks,

S

Fare tariffs are published for a specific city pair (or metro area in the case of NYC, PAR, LON, etc). If there are any exceptions to that they would be in the fare rules of the fare.

sunguy Apr 27, 2020 2:38 am

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice (Post 32327338)
Fare tariffs are published for a specific city pair (or metro area in the case of NYC, PAR, LON, etc). If there are any exceptions to that they would be in the fare rules of the fare.

Thanks - but is there any way of finding out rather than trial and error as to which specific city pairs the tariffs are currently valid for ?

So, in my example - INX1T1S6 has published fares for ARN-HNL and SOF-HNL - but how do I find out other city pairs that currently have published fares for that Fare basis code ?

ExpertFlyer Voice Apr 27, 2020 9:32 am

Originally Posted by sunguy (Post 32327705)
Thanks - but is there any way of finding out rather than trial and error as to which specific city pairs the tariffs are currently valid for ?

So, in my example - INX1T1S6 has published fares for ARN-HNL and SOF-HNL - but how do I find out other city pairs that currently have published fares for that Fare basis code ?

That's not possible, you can only search for fares by city pairs. Also don't assume it's the same exact fare for a different city pair just because it has the same fare basis code.

Keter May 18, 2020 1:18 pm

Is it planned to add point of origin avaialbility for airlines that mandate this (AF/ KL, QR etc)? I understand this kind of discrimination comes to replace point of sale discrimination. Unfortunately, currently it is not possible to get accurate information for airlines using POI availability discrimination.

For example, If I fly from MOW to BKK via PAR on AF I cannot currently get accurate availability for the return journey (BKK-PAR-MOW) because that journey's availability will be shown using BKK as POI and availability does vary significantly (well for lowest booking classes at least).

ITA Matrix does differentiate availability based on POI (a return/ multi city journey search is required of course).

ExpertFlyer Voice May 18, 2020 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Keter (Post 32385879)
Is it planned to add point of origin avaialbility for airlines that mandate this (AF/ KL, QR etc)? I understand this kind of discrimination comes to replace point of sale discrimination. Unfortunately, currently it is not possible to get accurate information for airlines using POI availability discrimination.

For example, If I fly from MOW to BKK via PAR on AF I cannot currently get accurate availability for the return journey (BKK-PAR-MOW) because that journey's availability will be shown using BKK as POI and availability does vary significantly (well for lowest booking classes at least).

ITA Matrix does differentiate availability based on POI (a return/ multi city journey search is required of course).

When you search availability is returned both based on the POI and the POS as the POI is sent to the airline with the availability search, that's what an availability search is. Our search is no different from an availability search that a travel agent would do as we use the same systems, we show what the airline returns.

Keter May 20, 2020 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice (Post 32385944)
When you search availability is returned both based on the POI and the POS as the POI is sent to the airline with the availability search, that's what an availability search is. Our search is no different from an availability search that a travel agent would do as we use the same systems, we show what the airline returns.

But if I search for a retrun journey in EF, say MOW-BKK via PAR on AF the search request is actually 2 separate requests meaning that for BKK-PAR-MOW the availability is returned based on POI = BKK. Am I wrong here? If I am not wrong, then how do i get BKK-PAR-MOW availability for POI = MOW?

ExpertFlyer Voice May 20, 2020 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Keter (Post 32390478)
But if I search for a retrun journey in EF, say MOW-BKK via PAR on AF the search request is actually 2 separate requests meaning that for BKK-PAR-MOW the availability is returned based on POI = BKK. Am I wrong here? If I am not wrong, then how do i get BKK-PAR-MOW availability for POI = MOW?

Right for a return search it is separate. Unlike ITA we are not pricing flights/itineraries so that, and because we offer variable +/- day searching on both the departure and return dates, is why we do it that way.

Keter May 27, 2020 11:41 am

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice (Post 32390488)
Right for a return search it is separate. Unlike ITA we are not pricing flights/itineraries so that, and because we offer variable +/- day searching on both the departure and return dates, is why we do it that way.

OK so back then to my original quesiton - can we modify a search (maybe in the new platform?) so that we can get an accurate return availabity for POI of the outbound segment, or better add a POI manual selection as an option if possible?

funflier May 27, 2020 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Keter (Post 32390478)
But if I search for a return journey in EF, say MOW-BKK via PAR on AF the search request is actually 2 separate requests meaning that for BKK-PAR-MOW the availability is returned based on POI = BKK. Am I wrong here? If I am not wrong, then how do i get BKK-PAR-MOW availability for POI = MOW?

Perhaps the OP is confusing fare bucket inventory visible on EF and fare rules, which would be taken into account using a booking engine or ITA/matrix? EF is going to show you real-time inventory, but that doesn't mean an "available" fare class is bookable. A published fare may require specific dates or direction of travel (outbound/inbound rules may be different), etc., so you may see availability in a "low" fare class, but be unable to book that fare class if you are not able to meet all the fare requirements--so when you try to price the trip you will fall into a higher class of service that allows the dates and directions you requested. You can see fare rules on EF, but finding and understanding them is easier said than done at times. EF is not designed to build a bookable itinerary for you, only to show real-time inventory. My guess is that the fare you are interested in requires outbound travel in one direction, so if you search simple inventory for your "return" segment, you may see availability, but you won't be able to book it as the fare rules are not being met. Hope this helps.

Keter May 30, 2020 9:48 am

Originally Posted by funflier (Post 32408465)
Perhaps the OP is confusing fare bucket inventory visible on EF and fare rules, which would be taken into account using a booking engine or ITA/matrix? EF is going to show you real-time inventory, but that doesn't mean an "available" fare class is bookable. A published fare may require specific dates or direction of travel (outbound/inbound rules may be different), etc., so you may see availability in a "low" fare class, but be unable to book that fare class if you are not able to meet all the fare requirements--so when you try to price the trip you will fall into a higher class of service that allows the dates and directions you requested. You can see fare rules on EF, but finding and understanding them is easier said than done at times. EF is not designed to build a bookable itinerary for you, only to show real-time inventory. My guess is that the fare you are interested in requires outbound travel in one direction, so if you search simple inventory for your "return" segment, you may see availability, but you won't be able to book it as the fare rules are not being met. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply but the fare application (or bookability) to specific booking classes based on numerous factors is not the issue in this case.

The point was that the real time inventory may now vary based on POI too (and not only based on POS, GDS used, availability of direct access to airline inventory and other factors) and there is no mechanism in Expertflyer to specify that factor. Airlines have complicated the rules of the game and EF is behind on this topic. I am not saying it is easy to implement this feature - was asking this question to EF team.

Jonesdds Jun 7, 2020 11:05 am

BA travel end of schedule May 2021

Since I'm not seeing any First tix available on avios I wanted to create alerts. I was careful on the return to only do exact date May 27th, the last day in the schedule, confirmed on the BA site. But, even changing the dates on the outbound nothing is showing up in expert flyer. Is something going on with BA, are they not showing on expert flyer any longer?

jerry a. laska Jun 7, 2020 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds (Post 32437289)
Since I'm not seeing any First tix available on avios I wanted to create alerts. I was careful on the return to only do exact date May 27th, the last day in the schedule, confirmed on the BA site. But, even changing the dates on the outbound nothing is showing up in expert flyer. Is something going on with BA, are they not showing on expert flyer any longer?

Are you sure there is F availability to show? BAEC guarantees to release at least 2 J and 4 Y; they do not guarantee to release F seats. Typically if they are released it is sometime later.

ExpertFlyer Voice Jun 8, 2020 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Jonesdds (Post 32437289)

There was an issue with the BA award inventory over the weekend which has now been fixed.

IluvSQ Jun 16, 2020 7:05 am

Any thoughts on extending membership year for x number of months that we have not been flying?