ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
There is nothing to fix, the AA award search will only show award space on AA operated flights. To see award space on BA operated flights choose BA as the airline, etc. It's not meant to be the same as an airline website. The inventory we show is partner level award inventory.
I am confused here. I see that EF is not showing any data but comes up with these routings. While BA routings do not show up...

Last edited by TWA884; May 27, 2019 at 9:44 am Reason: Formatting
Old May 27, 2019, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by flyalways
I am confused here. I see that EF is not showing any data but comes up with these routings. While BA routings do not show up...
I think you must have got to that list by selecting AA as the airline in the awards search.

If you want to see routings on BA flights, you need to select BA as the airline in the awards search, as ExpertFlyer Voice says. If you see award availability that way, you can then use your AA miles to book the award seat if it's in the correct booking class for you to do that.

You probably already know this, but it's also worth remembering that as a general rule, you can only book awards on the flight's prime code (usually the operating airline's code). This is likely to be the reason why AA (IB) 8694 shows no data at all: you are very unlikely to be able to book AA8694 as an award. If there is award space on the IB code, then you may be able to book that if it's in the correct class for you to book it with AA miles.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think you must have got to that list by selecting AA as the airline in the awards search.

If you want to see routings on BA flights, you need to select BA as the airline in the awards search, as ExpertFlyer Voice says. If you see award availability that way, you can then use your AA miles to book the award seat if it's in the correct booking class for you to do that.

You probably already know this, but it's also worth remembering that as a general rule, you can only book awards on the flight's prime code (usually the operating airline's code). This is likely to be the reason why AA (IB) 8694 shows no data at all: you are very unlikely to be able to book AA8694 as an award. If there is award space on the IB code, then you may be able to book that if it's in the correct class for you to book it with AA miles.
All I am saying is that the result set is inconsistent. If it can show TP and IB routes, why can't it show BA routes albeit no data ? That was the confusing part...
Old May 27, 2019, 8:09 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
It can, but the information is not very helpful to you (rather like the IB examples you posted above):

It shows you some (AA Saver) availability on a flight that could form part of a valid routing, but cannot tell you whether there is anything available on the BA flight.

For travel between the US and Europe (or within Europe) using AA miles, EF wouldn't be my first choice of tool. AA's own website is a better place to start.

Last edited by IMH; May 27, 2019 at 8:31 am
Old May 27, 2019, 8:08 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by IMH
It can, but the information is not very helpful to you (rather like the IB examples you posted above):

It shows you some (AA Saver) availability on a flight that could form part of a valid routing, but cannot tell you whether there is anything available on the BA flight.

For travel between the US and Europe (or within Europe) using AA miles, EF wouldn't be my first choice of tool. AA's own website is a better place to start.
Correct, we do not choose the routing, the reservation systems do, and they don't understand what is an award class vs a paid class. The best way to search is to only search the city pair that AA operates when searching for AA award inventory, same for the BA flights for BA award inventory.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:54 am

Is it possible that passengers have not confirmed seats in BA F so still showing availability?
No reward availability & No cash tickets available in F on that flight when I searched?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Tilly71
Is it possible that passengers have not confirmed seats in BA F so still showing availability?
No reward availability & No cash tickets available in F on that flight when I searched?
I suspect that the flight is oversold in C and/or W.
Is that the case?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by ehud
I suspect that the flight is oversold in C and/or W.
Is that the case?
If this is the case, will 3 x passengers already booked in CW be upgraded?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:16 am

If this is the case, will 3 x passengers already booked in CW be upgraded?
Depends on many factors as well such as now shows..
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by ehud
Depends on many factors as well such as now shows..

I've been seeing the same seat map availability for over 2 x weeks now?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:24 am

I've been seeing the same seat map availability for over 2 x weeks now?
Can you send the actual classes availability? Flight#/date?
Flyiboy likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:58 am
kkl

EF showing 2 seats on PER-NRT on NH882. late march / april 2020

Checked on united/krisflyer only showing 1 seat.

phantom?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:21 pm

Hey guys, just booked a trip for July on Aeroplan and the first leg July 19th YVR-NRT was only available in Y. Looking to create a seat alert for when 2 seats in J come up. I think i did it right, I created the alert "At least 2 in Business - Award & Alliance Partner Upgrades (I)" however im not sure if this is the right option? There is 3 other business categories, all showing some available seats already tho.

There is 2 J seats available on the 12 of July via aeroplan, so i created the same alert for the 12th, and then did a quick check on experflyer, and it said no availability....

Any help is appreciated, cheers!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by aleks77
Hey guys, just booked a trip for July on Aeroplan and the first leg July 19th YVR-NRT was only available in Y. Looking to create a seat alert for when 2 seats in J come up. I think i did it right, I created the alert "At least 2 in Business - Award & Alliance Partner Upgrades (I)" however im not sure if this is the right option? There is 3 other business categories, all showing some available seats already tho.

There is 2 J seats available on the 12 of July via aeroplan, so i created the same alert for the 12th, and then did a quick check on experflyer, and it said no availability....

Any help is appreciated, cheers!
AC releases much more award availability - especially in business class - to Aeroplan members than to partner airlines.

Afaik EF checks for partner award availability, so it's only of limited use when trying to check for AC award availability using Aeroplan miles.

Originally Posted by kkl
EF showing 2 seats on PER-NRT on NH882. late march / april 2020

Checked on united/krisflyer only showing 1 seat.

phantom?
I'm not entirely sure what data source the EF website uses, but NH releases more award availability to is own members than partner airlines. So if EF uses the NH website as its data source, that would explain the discrepancy.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 5, 2019 at 8:44 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; Please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
AC releases much more award availability - especially in business class - to Aeroplan members than to partner airlines.

Afaik EF checks for partner award availability, so it's only of limited use when trying to check for AC award availability using Aeroplan miles.
Ah gotcha, so whats the best way for me to check if business came up? Manually on aeroplan website couple times a day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.