ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:33 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
I am searching for U inventory on AA for Oct 5. Yesterday I found a flight that showed 5 seats available. I looked on AA.com and called in, and the flight has not U availability. I looked again today, and now EF shows 6 seats, but still, not per AA. Is this a common issue? I have never run into it before. Is there some way to know if there truly is availability? This is the reason I bought the subscription, to be able to find this without having to call in.
Hi Jennifer. First, since you haven't mentioned any flights we can't actually help you. This is why we always say to email us so you can privately tell us what flights you are referring to, we can't guess. Second, the information is accurate as it is direct from AA. It's likely you are not taking married segment logic into account and are not doing the same search as the AA rep is if you have connecting flights which may change the inventory.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Suggestion for EF

When setting alert, be it seat, aircraft change, or flight alerts, the community often flies roundtrip. How about a button that can be pressed that will switch the city directions, making it easier to set an alert for the returning segment.

For example, originating flight is SFO-LAX. Data inputted for alert. Naturally, want to set an alert for returning flight. Hit that button and the arrival airport is now the departure airport. All that needs to be changed is the date of travel and the flight number.

Thanks for your consideration.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:37 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by 747FC
When setting alert, be it seat, aircraft change, or flight alerts, the community often flies roundtrip. How about a button that can be pressed that will switch the city directions, making it easier to set an alert for the returning segment.

For example, originating flight is SFO-LAX. Data inputted for alert. Naturally, want to set an alert for returning flight. Hit that button and the arrival airport is now the departure airport. All that needs to be changed is the date of travel and the flight number.

Thanks for your consideration.
Thank you for your suggestion. If you have any more please email them to us at [email protected]
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
When I look at fare routing rules, what does "map constructed left to right and right to left" mean/signify?
/VIA THE PACIFIC/
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. YTO-UA/AC-DEN-UA/AC-SFO/LAX-UA/AC-SJC/SFO/SEA/LAX-HNL-WP/
UA/HA-OGG/MKK/LNY/LIH/KOA/JHM/ITO-WP/UA/HA-HNL-GUM-TYO
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:53 am

can you search for awards on all airlines at once for a specific route / day combination or do you have to search each airline one at a time?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by akayyva
can you search for awards on all airlines at once for a specific route / day combination or do you have to search each airline one at a time?
Each airline individually. You can setup multiple alerts if you want to monitor select flights across different airlines.

DAK
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:24 pm

CAI-YYJ IATA Fare calc

Dear flying experts,

I have recently moved with my employer to Cairo, Egypt, and as part of my Benefits they give me (Verbatim from the policy):

It will be provided based on a Full-fare, Economy class, Round-trip air ticket as quoted by IATA from the employee's assignment location to the employee's City of Origin as specified in the letter of employment, with a routing by the most direct point-to-point route possible.

My City of Origin is Victoria, BC, Canada, or YYJ.

The employer has quoted me US$3061. Yet, when I search on EgyptAir’s website for the most direct route (CAI-YYZ-YYJ), CAI-YYZ with Egypt Air Direct, and then YYZ-YYJ Direct with Air Canada, the price is US$6,525. The Egypt Air + Air Canada routing via YYZ is undoubtedly the "most direct point-to-point route possible", yet using expert flyer I cant price this option.

I have complained to my employer, but they are not budging stating that US$3061 is the IATA quoted fare. Something is amiss though, as how is a more expensive offer being provided online, but IATA says I could fly for less?

I joined expert flyer and searched for YY/Y fares and found the below:

CAI-YYJ YIFRT2 $2976

YYJ-CAI YIFRT2 $6497

So a few questions:

1. Is there any way of forcing expertflyer to search for a specific route (CAI-YYZ-YYJ)

2. Why does the same fare basis (YIFRT2) have two different prices?

Most people search for the cheapest flight, but I am searching for the most expensive flight that meets these specific criteria so I can get the maximum benefit. Any help in proving to my employer that a flight as per my company policy costs more than ~US$3,000 would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Simm327
1. Is there any way of forcing expertflyer to search for a specific route (CAI-YYZ-YYJ)

2. Why does the same fare basis (YIFRT2) have two different prices?

1. No.

2. Note the directionality. This is extremely common.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent EgyptAir specific fare calculation question was moved to the following thread in the Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines forum:
TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:51 am

Now that aa.com has added QR award availability searches, does it mean EF could support QR searches if it wanted to, or are these unrelated things?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:54 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Now that aa.com has added QR award availability searches, does it mean EF could support QR searches if it wanted to, or are these unrelated things?
I'm sorry but these are unrelated things.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:18 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by thepointsguy
Yes, but you have to have a full membership (not the cheaper one). On the left hand side of the home screen you'll see a button for "Create New Flight Alert". You'll just have to know what award code you are looking for. Works like a charm.
I'm doing the 5 day "Pro" trial because I want to experiment with setting up alerts for "U" space on Alaska Airlines' flights (which is what is needed in order to apply an MVP Gold Guest Upgrade).

But I cannot figure out how to do this: I have put in "U" in both the fare code box and the fare class box and search a route on a date that I know from AS' website where there is indeed "U" space available on flights -- but I get no results.

Sorry if this has been asked upstream, but a search of the thread didn't find my query.

TIA!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I'm doing the 5 day "Pro" trial because I want to experiment with setting up alerts for "U" space on Alaska Airlines' flights (which is what is needed in order to apply an MVP Gold Guest Upgrade).

But I cannot figure out how to do this: I have put in "U" in both the fare code box and the fare class box and search a route on a date that I know from AS' website where there is indeed "U" space available on flights -- but I get no results.

Sorry if this has been asked upstream, but a search of the thread didn't find my query.

TIA!
The easiest way to set an alert is:

- go to "Flight Availability" (column on the left hand side)
- only enter your desired date, route and airline
- scroll to the flight you're interested in, then click on the "exclamation mark box" on the right hand side and select booking class "U" and "at least 1"
- you can also send a test e-mail to verify the search is set up properly
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thank you! I was searching on the "Fare Information" tab
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Thank you! I was searching on the "Fare Information" tab
That category only gives you the published base fares, fare rules, permitted routings etc. (*very* useful, especially for int'l travel, but more in an abstract way)

Btw, if you just want to check upgrade availability on AS (without setting an alert), the easiest option is to go to the "Awards & Upgrades" section and choose your route, AS, booking class U / upgrade to First, +/- 3 days
cblaisd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.