AwardWallet

Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by thehowieee
As this is a monthly summary (and not a travel reservation), this wouldn't be something fixed in the "near future" (which is what the near future timing is referencing in case the format of the reservation email has/had changed -- it hasn't). The monthly summary should be working as expected for me (I have my awardwallet email address in my United profile so it processes it automatically (https://awardwallet.com/blog/track-u...s-awardwallet/).

Given the issue is with the monthly statement process, I'd recommend reaching out directly to support. They'll be able to see the issues being generated with processing your statements: https://awardwallet.com/contact
Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:48 am

I finally looked at "Credit Card Spend Analysis" due to a note on the top of my AwardWallet window. I'm a little dismayed to find that they've been downloading and analyzing my credit card purchases.

I guess this is the era of big data and I shouldn't be surprised.

But it does mean I'll disconnect some of these accounts.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:13 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
Where is that feature ? I had the orange pop up about it but can not find where it is.

Edit: I found it, you need to have a valid credit card (a simple Amex MR account is not enough it seems) and there is a tab. I wonder how compliant with GDPR it is. I guess I will ask the relevant European regulatory agency.

Last edited by fransknorge; Aug 9, 2018 at 8:23 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:37 am

Is there a way to have an MR login that doesn't allow viewing of charge info?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:29 pm
Company Representative - AwardWallet

Hi, this is Alexi from AwardWallet.
@josephstern: At the moment we don’t have a way to disable the gathering of historical transactions. BTW, I am not sure if you realize it, but we gather historical transactions for most of the programs that we support. In other words, if you look at the details of your Hilton account you will see a “HISTORY” tab that shows individual transactions on your account. This is basically an extension of that. I assume your request is to not gather historical transactions on your MR account only, but you still want us to gather your Hilton transactions, right? At the moment this is not a feature we have, but we are open to implementing it. Right now you can choose not to have AwardWallet track your MR account and therefore we obviously won’t track the history but I realize this is probably not the ideal solution for you. Also, when I say “analyze” I mean run it through our algorithm. No-one is actually looking at your transactions

Side note. At AwardWallet we are always looking for ways to improve and for ways to provide more value to our users. Also, this is a premium feature, only available to AwardWallet Plus members. The idea behind it was that we can show you areas where you could optimize your spend and earn more points without changing how and where you shop. I got your feedback and I understand this is not something you want AwardWallet to do and this is valuable information for us, we will discuss this on our next development call. Also, if you ever want to provide feedback to us, the best way to do that is to send it directly to our support:

https://awardwallet.com/contact

Thanks,
-Alexi
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:43 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

@veresch you seriously need to prove this is GDPR compliant for your EU based customer. Without this I will simply close my account and report to the relevant authority.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:59 pm

@fransknorge, I understand your point of view and respect it. We definitely don't want to hold anyone hostage, you are well within your right to close your account, you can do that here: https://awardwallet.com/user/delete when you do that all of your data gets fully deleted, so you can feel safe we are not storing your information.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by veresch
@fransknorge, I understand your point of view and respect it. We definitely don't want to hold anyone hostage, you are well within your right to close your account, you can do that here: https://awardwallet.com/user/delete when you do that all of your data gets fully deleted, so you can feel safe we are not storing your information.
it's not a point of view - he's asking you to prove that you haven't broken the law for your EU customers.

if you can't confirm - *you* may need to suspend all EU customer accounts until you amend your processes to be GDPR compliant.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:33 pm

@fartoomanyusers I am not a lawyer so I can't properly answer that question, I personally did read the GDPR documentation and did not see any violations, our lawyer did review our practices also in light of GDPR and we did update our Privacy Notice at the time. If you see a specific violation of GDPR that we missed please report it to us via https://awardwallet.com/contact and we will address it.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:10 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

I will reformulate the question: under which of the 6 legal basis defined by the GDPR you feel is adequate to justify the processing of the financial data of a user ? Your Privacy Notice does not give that information as it simply says: "If you are from the European Economic Area (“EEA”), our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it."
You must explicitly specify the legal basis for each of the processing you are doing.

I am putting this discussion public to give you a chance to show to your EU customer you are actually willing to follow regulations.
fartoomanyusers likes this.

Last edited by fransknorge; Aug 10, 2018 at 1:16 am
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:48 am

@fransknorge, unfortunately, I am not a lawyer so I can't answer this question for you. As I mentioned before if someone doesn't want to use our service they don't have to. If someone started using our service and decided they want to leave they have a way to completely purge all the data (delete their account and leave). Unfortunately, I can't answer your question beyond that.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by veresch
@fransknorge, unfortunately, I am not a lawyer so I can't answer this question for you. As I mentioned before if someone doesn't want to use our service they don't have to. If someone started using our service and decided they want to leave they have a way to completely purge all the data (delete their account and leave). Unfortunately, I can't answer your question beyond that.
I'm not a lawyer either - but my GDPR expert friend tells me that the regulation doesn't work that way !

It sounds like you really need to refer this question to *your* lawyer, and look at suspending collection of financial data of EU citizens before you get reported to an EU information commissioner.
Your lawyer might find this useful:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...or-processing/
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:03 am

Thanks for the link and for the tips, I will pass it over to legal, I suspect the basis in our case (out of the 6 presented) is: "Consent", meaning that the users choose to use our service, but again, since I am not a lawyer I will defer that to them.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Unless you have something new to add to the GDPR discussion, please move on.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:17 pm

So if you're sharing accounts with a connection, can the connection see all of your credit card charges also?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.