Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
What's app is great when traveling internationally. Use it all the time. Also really works well for keeping in touch with family living outside the US. Let's hope FB doesn't ruin a great thing

Congrats on the sale. Awesome.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:10 pm

So I guess you don't need award tickets from now on, huh?

Jan, you'll find your management peers at your new employer (which I used to work at) flying on private jets to get around town. Your COO for example spends at least USD 600K of company money on private jet flights in a year alone.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:43 pm

Congratulations on your true success. I use whatsapp for keeping in touch in touch with friends who live overseas and with friends and family when I''m traveling overseas.

Glad it worked out so well for you!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by jkb76
when the risk of the delay became real, i said: "if we don't get it done on wednesday, it probably wont get done. i have tickets on thursday to fly out to Barcelona which i bought with miles and they are not easily refundable or even possible to change. this has to be done by wednesday or else!!!"

...and so one of the biggest deals in tech history had to be scheduled around my M&M award ticket
Amazing story. Congrats to you and Brian!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah he's buying a fleet of Gulfstreams now.

He's made Mark Cuban look like a chump, in the game of suckering some big dot com from pouring billions into a business from which they will never be able to recoup the investment.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Congrats!

Whatsapp is widely used here in Singapore.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:36 pm

Cue the 80s style slow clap.............

WAY TO GO jkb76!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by wco81
Yeah he's buying a fleet of Gulfstreams now.

He's made Mark Cuban look like a chump, in the game of suckering some big dot com from pouring billions into a business from which they will never be able to recoup the investment.

Given how much of the payout appears to have been in FB shares (and that these deals almost always involve a lock-up period), I'd certainly hope he sees some good synergies there.

At very least, taking equity rather than cash is a bet that FB won't be hurt by the dilution.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
what a great story - normally i feel like a creep going through a user's prior posts, but his are an enjoyable read knowing the context.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by nkedel

Given how much of the payout appears to have been in FB shares (and that these deals almost always involve a lock-up period), I'd certainly hope he sees some good synergies there.

At very least, taking equity rather than cash is a bet that FB won't be hurt by the dilution.
I don't mean to rain on his parade. Congratulations to him and his employees (seems like they took care of the WA employees).

Just pointing out that these mega deals don't seem to work out.

A more recent example, Google's purchase of Motorola for $12 billion.

And doubtful that MS will get $8 billion out of the Skype deal.

In fact, it's not clear FB saw a return on the $1 billion for Instagram, other than making sure some rival social networking service didn't eat into FB's dominance in social networking.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by SQ421
Not a loss per se but I'm not the only one in the circle of people I know who aren't keen on a "unified" experience that Facebook is seeking to provide (or necessarily giving Facebook visibility of all data!) and have started looking at alternative applications to do what WhatsApp was so wonderful at doing.
Viber is one alternative. There's WeChat, LINE, Kakao.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:04 pm

Great story and huge congratulations ^

I have one friend who still insists on using SMS, literally every other person I contact uses Whatsapp. Bet the OP never saw that coming when he started this thread @:-)
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by mrtibbs1999
Jan, thanks for destroying the argument about spending a bit of time on FT getting in the way of doing something productive. Enjoy
+1 ^

Haha, every first rate tech person I have met in the last 10 years seems to have developed a deep understanding of the transportation industry, and in particular how to make the airline system work for them. FT is an excellent source for gaining an intuition into things like assimilation of lots of data (weather, pax loads, capacity, aircraft utilization, CASM etc etc), integer programming (and optimization in general), forecasting, and good old fashion tech smarts. I tend to think the airline industry is also a good leading indicator of economic trends (like unbundling), and those who adapt to it have a significant advantage. What do they say, "time is short, waste it wisely." I'd say jkb76 and surely many other FT'ers have wasted their time wisely!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:04 am

WhatsApp to add voice messaging feature in Q2 2014, CEO Jan Koum says - @TechCrunch

Just curious what it feels like to see your name in quotes like that...or your company on the headlines of every major news source around the world....
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Wow Jan - congratulations on the tremendous deal! Nice to see a fellow FTer doing that well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.