Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2013, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkb76
so i was looking on this forum for something else (trying to use my M&M miles) and remembered i posted this thread 4 years ago. i am thinking some of you might be using WhatsApp now
Have you guys got your security house in order yet?

Do you still upload every user's entire address book regardless of whether or not each contact uses WhatsApp?

This is what keeps me from using WhatsApp. The last thing I need is for everyone I know or do business with to start getting spam and junk mail or worse by virtue of being in my address book.

Last edited by anrkitec; Sep 14, 2013 at 8:07 am
Old Sep 14, 2013, 7:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by anrkitec
Have you guys got your security house in order yet?

Do you still upload every user's entire address book [names, numbers, and addresses, etc.] regardless of whether or not each contact uses WhatsApp?

This is what keeps me from using WhatsApp. The last thing I need is for everyone I know or do business with to start getting spam and junk mail or worse by virtue of being in my address book.
When I read the first line above, I thought you were asking about how the NSA monitors WhatsApp communications. But the rest of the post made it clear that it was something different.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
When I read the first line above, I thought you were asking about how the NSA monitors WhatsApp communications. But the rest of the post made it clear that it was something different.
No, in addition to the address book privacy issues some say WhatsApp has been plagued by security issues and exploits which could allow hackers to take over users accounts.

I guess some major changes have been made, given how twitchy Apple is about such things. I believe Apple did pull it once though - at least for a while.

Regardless, "free" isn't always a bargain.

Last edited by anrkitec; Sep 16, 2013 at 2:45 am
Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
One annoying "feature" of WhatsApp being on my phone is I can't delete contacts that have been associated with WhatsApp because they're read-only contacts. Other than that, great app
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Haha, JKB's company is worth several billion dollars right now. Nice work!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:50 am

anrkitec

+1
(and the alleged "billions" JKB's company is purportedly worth)
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
anrkitec

+1
(and the alleged "billions" JKB's company is purportedly worth)
I am sure the company has significant value but didn't Google just recently pass on WhatsApp at ~$1B?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
so i was looking on this forum for something else (trying to use my M&M miles) and remembered i posted this thread 4 years ago. i am thinking some of you might be using WhatsApp now
My missus uses it on a daily basis. She said to say she likes the smiley poo.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by anrkitec
I am sure the company has significant value but didn't Google just recently pass on WhatsApp at ~$1B?
Rumor was they walked away at that valuation.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:38 pm

I didn't know it was by a FTer! I use it on a daily basis and really enjoyed the group chats with my friends, and that I can keep my home number as a contact even with a SIM card with another number in another country.

TBH, I also use Line because the stickers are awesome and some friends use it predominantly. But Whatsapp is still my first choice for messenging because more friends are on it comparatively. I had it before it became popular (and was free).

On the negatives...
I don't like that Whatsapp automatically adds friends into Favourites when... nope they are not. Line does it better that way, as well as listing those with Line. Also like that I can add them as friends instead of being a default setting.

Recent update also made it rather cluttered. Prior to this update the timestamp was slightly to the side and not as obvious. Now it is rather cluttered with it at the bottom of the text sent.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
http://crackberry.com/whatsapp-vs-bb...ging-head-head

Wonder what impact this will have on WhatsApp and what plans WhatsApp has to counter this.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:48 pm

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Wow. did not know whatsapp was made by a FT'er!!! great job man and congratulations on your success!! excellent job, Isn't this the most popular app of all time or something on iOS?

And in agreement with others, you don't need to collect any miles or points now do you?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:14 am

Congrats, great app. Gotta say though I've always hated that other people know when I have read their messages but at the same time I like know when they have read mine...
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
My missus uses it on a daily basis. She said to say she likes the smiley poo.
My favorite emoticon as well
Old Sep 19, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Some of us maybe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.