Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

On an AT&T cellphone "Family Plan" can you have lines in different area codes?

Old Aug 27, 09, 4:14 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond

If at all possible, I need to change one of the lines on our current AT&T cellphone "Family Plan" to a different area code than the other two lines.

I emailed AT&T Customer "Care" and got back a quick "No" answer (along with that canned "customer service" crapola about what a privilege it is for them to serve me. Why do companies think that stuff is helpful?).

I asked that my question be referred to a supervisor (of course, who knows what that term means). Response: the same. Only lines in the same metropolitan "market" can have different area codes.

On HowardForums there is someone who says that come September 1, AT&T is changing that rule, but there's no confirmation on-thread so far.

Since FlyerTalkers know everything, I thought I'd ask here.

(And, btw, please no recommendations to ditch AT&T and get _____ instead -- or let's discuss that on a different thread I've run the numbers with the ETFs and need to stay with AT&T for another year. Then I might be free)
Old Aug 27, 09, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Dig more on Hofo, but I think you'll find that the answer is "no" unless
1) You have an employer discount code, known as a FAN or
2) You open a small business account.

Technically they can do it, but for whatever strange business reason they aren't willing to do it for "regular" customers.
Old Aug 27, 09, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Dig more on Hofo, but I think you'll find that the answer is "no" unless
1) You have an employer discount code, known as a FAN ...
I do have a FAN on my account (which the Customer "Service" rep would have been able to see, I assume) from a university alumni/staff discount program.
Old Aug 27, 09, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I know that my parents are just recently changed their plan to both be on a family plan together and that they have two different area codes.

This may not be exactly the same case as the OP is wondering about -- they both already had these numbers and they are only different area codes because of an area code split that happened over a decade ago and they have both been with ATT/Cingular/ATT forever -- though it seems that it can be done.
Old Aug 27, 09, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adambadam View Post
... they both already had these numbers and they are only different area codes because of an area code split that happened over a decade ago....
Good to know. I assume that's what the AT&T rep meant by it being possible in the same "market."

But of course that would mean, I should think, that technically it's possible for any area code, no?
Old Aug 27, 09, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that doesn't work, try getting a Google Voice number in the area code you want.
Old Aug 27, 09, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Good idea. Although I've made 2 requests dating back more than a month and no reply (using different emails).
Old Aug 27, 09, 5:30 pm

Wirelessly posted (HTC-8500/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

here's my story. i had a 607 (ny) number with veriZon. wanted to get on the same plan as my bf with a 864 (sc) number. i had to ditch my 607 number, but got an 803 number.
Old Aug 27, 09, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
It is definitely possible. I am currently in a family plan with lines from 3 completely different states. It can take some work to setup, but I've found if you go into a store you can usually find at least one person who knows how to do it and can help you. Or if your company is large enough that you have a corporate rep, I would speak with them directly as they generally have a lot of power to get stuff done as well.
Old Aug 27, 09, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I also want to speculate a little here that the reason for this policy is to more enforce some measure to keep people in check to make sure they are really all in the same family and at the same address. Furthermore, I don't know what the actual rules/laws/regulations are about assigning numbers to people outside of their actual area codes, though obviously GV does it and anyone can get a virtual number for an office so I would imagine that this is probably not too much of a factor.
Old Aug 27, 09, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently, it's only allowed on business accounts (included personal responsibility accounts with a FAN discount).
There's some speculation on Howard Forums that this will be available to all accounts soon: http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1559313
Old Aug 27, 09, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL status lost across the board.
To preface this was several years ago now, but we added my brother-in-law to a family plan with a different area code. It was a lot of trouble but AT&T eventually relented. Of course YMMV especially since you just want to change a number.
Old Aug 27, 09, 10:24 pm

This may not be exactly the same case as the OP is wondering about -- they both already had these numbers and they are only different area codes because of an area code split that happened over a decade ago and they have both been with ATT/Cingular/ATT forever -- though it seems that it can be done.
The policy is area codes from different markets. If you live in NYC, for example, any of the many area codes (212, 646, 917, 718, etc.) could be used on the same family plan.
Old Aug 27, 09, 10:24 pm

I also want to speculate a little here that the reason for this policy is to more enforce some measure to keep people in check to make sure they are really all in the same family and at the same address.
Of course, there are probably plenty of families spread out within a given area code as well, so that isn't a terribly sensible rationale.
Old Aug 28, 09, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Of course, there are probably plenty of families spread out within a given area code as well, so that isn't a terribly sensible rationale.
Yes, though I believe the actual qualification on most of the contracts to be considered a "family" is that everyone is suppose to technically reside at the same address.

Search this Thread