Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

ATT Netbook and Security. What do you recommend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Good day,

I am thinking of getting an ATT Aspire One Netbook but am curious about the security of data transmitted (I have not gone wireless before -- I know, I am a dinosaur).

The netbook comes with XP Firewall, but what security aspects should I add (and, why)?

One half of my mind says that it is totally meaningless to add a bazillion security items to the netbook to protect my credit card data, when, at the same time, I hand that same credit card to a waiter who promptly walks off with it someplace.

The other half of my mind says, "OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO PROTECT YOUR CC DATA, YOU LUNKHEAD!"

So, FT'ers - how do I appease the bicameral mind?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by travis bickle; Aug 21, 2009 at 8:28 am
Old Aug 21, 2009, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travis bickle
One half of my mind says that it is totally meaningless to add a bazillion security items to the netbook to protect my credit card data, when, at the same time, I hand that same credit card to a waiter who promptly walks off with it someplace.
This is the smart half.

Are you getting the ATT one because you want their 3G card built-in? I'd take a hard look at the pricing of going that way versus buying the NetBook and the service separately.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 8:26 am
Original Poster

How do I get their 3G card,

Originally Posted by sbm12
This is the smart half.

Are you getting the ATT one because you want their 3G card built-in? I'd take a hard look at the pricing of going that way versus buying the NetBook and the service separately.
except I go to the ATT store and obtain it?

I really do not know what my connectivity options are because I really am ignorant wireless-wise.

And, everytime I have looked on the net to purchase the Aspire, the prices cited are all exactly the same as what the ATT salescritters have posted.

I have to admit, I have had ATT cellular for 8 years now (cell phones, blackberry) and I have never had a single problem/issue. So, am I "worrying" about a 2-year contract for naught?

Your advice/recommendations highly desired.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:36 pm

The true cost of the item is the base cost (is it subsidized?) + the cost of the contract over the life of the contract.

If the netbook costs $200, but it requires a 2 year commitment at $50 per month (don't forget to add taxes, activation fees, etc), then the true cost is $1400 over a 2 year period.

If that's what you want, no problem.

As far as credit card data, etc, you just need to take the same precautions as with any computer. Make sure you only transmit passwords, etc in secure browser sessions. Don't transmit any secure data over clear connections. The firewall that comes with it should have a setting for roaming on public networks. Use that setting.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 21, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.