Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New! Bose QuietComfort 15 (replaces QuietComfort 2)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New! Bose QuietComfort 15 (replaces QuietComfort 2)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.643 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by Degan
When flying DFW - FRA on AA, I was listening to my QC-2 in business (777) when the attendant offered the AA headphones. Normally, I decline as I find the QC-3 uncomfortable. I asked the attendant if the headphones were the new QC-15 I had heard were being rolled-out. She did not know.

Opening the case I saw that they were the same QC-2 over-ear form-factor, so I was excited to give them a try. Hearing my enthusiasm, my neighbor in the window seat decided to give them a try instead of his ear buds, though he mentioned he never used the AA headphones previously.

I switched back and forth both listening to music and with no audio input. The QC-15 is dramatically better at noise reduction. This was immediately noticeable. Not being an audiophile, I cannot attest to any qualitative differences in the reproduction of sound as captured in the studio. For me, they were great. Not only was the ambient aircraft noise reduced far more than the QC-2, but the cries of a toddler (from several rows back) were completely blocked when listening to music.

I used the QC-15 for the remainder for the flight. Interestingly, the battery warning light was flashing by arrival time. While as a consumer, I appreciate the non-proprietary power system, I wonder if this will make the provisioning by AA more difficult.

Now, I need to figure out how to get my QC-2 upgraded at a retail outlet. As I fly long-haul every two weeks, I do not look forward to shipping my headphones to wait for delivery of other headphones.
Fwiw AA's just use a regular AAA batteries so surely its easier to change those than pop them in some sort of bulk charger.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
Originally Posted by divingdancer
Chapie you are what we in the UK would call a 'jammy git' - meant in the nicest possible way.

I got an email from Bose today with a request to fill in a questionnaire re the QC15's that I purchased. Of course in the section asking where else I had seen them recommended i mentioned Flyer Talk Forums!!!

Has anyone else had a questionnaire?

just knew you had to come from Yorkshire calling someone a 'jammy git' hee hee. God's own county

yes i got a questionnaire too. Think i mentioned FT.

When I registered my in ear buds I got half price when I got myQC15's I should have been sent a spare set of ear buds and have not got them yet. Must chase that up!
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
Speaking of Ear Buds..

I use QC3's playing white noise and earplugs in order to sleep on planes.

Has anyone compared noise cancelling Ear Buds to this sort of setup?

I'm wondering if I can drop this setup and just to go a set of noise cancelling ear buds playing white noise (would be a lot less bulky)
Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I've been doing some research on the QC-15 and wanted to know if there was any price difference in Asia? I have a trip to HKG & ICN in late Sept. and instead of buying a pair here I could wait and pick up a pair in either city if there was a significant savings but does anyone know hether there is or not. Guy Betsy's post didn't seem to say that there was in SIN but does that hold elsewhere?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I tried the QC-15's on in the local Bose store and felt they were comfortable enough for this poster who wears eyeglasses. I liked the size of the carrying case and it should be easy enough to find room in my carry on for this item.

I know the showroom may not be the optimal place to test the sound cancelling quality but it fully blocked out the ambient noise from the mall a 6-10 feet away and the in-store sounds. The quality of the sound too also impressed me.

Somehow all these years I'd discounted the hype and praise from Bose users but think I finally may have been converted.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by tcook052
I tried the QC-15's on in the local Bose store and felt they were comfortable enough for this poster who wears eyeglasses. I liked the size of the carrying case and it should be easy enough to find room in my carry on for this item.

I know the showroom may not be the optimal place to test the sound cancelling quality but it fully blocked out the ambient noise from the mall a 6-10 feet away and the in-store sounds. The quality of the sound too also impressed me.

Somehow all these years I'd discounted the hype and praise from Bose users but think I finally may have been converted.
Congrats... yes they are not cheap but amazing...!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
MyY beloved QC-2s broke (headband) during a flight yesterday. I asked the flight attendant if she had any tape and she brought me a couple of bandages, which did the trick to patch them up for the rest of the flight.

Called Bose CS today and was offered the tradeup for $89; just need to send in the headphones, accesories and the case "if I still have it"...
^

So....have I misplaced the case ?

ETA: I decided to ship the case back with the headphones. Bose is being very generous with this offer; if I decide I prefer the current style case, I can always buy one for $25.

Last edited by pbjag; Aug 16, 2010 at 3:20 pm
Old Oct 29, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum, Amex Platinum
I went to the Bose San Francisco store tonight, and asked about this "upgrade program". He said there was no upgrade program, but if your QC-2's are defective you can trade them in. I told him, yes they're defective, because they're not QC-15's.

For older QC-2's, the upgrade is $99, but for mine it was only $89 because I have the newer version QC-2's.

I didn't feel that guilty about it, as I was also buying 4 pairs of full-price QC-15's as gifts for my team at work.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Hmmm... MY QC15 headphone broke last month. One of the ears is not doing any noise cancelling anymore. Besides that, the black isolation cable came lose near the stereo plug. However no relation between these two problems.

Called Bose service in my country (Netherlands), who asked for my proof of purchase, which I was not able to provide. I bought this headset 11 months ago in Oslo airport and just cannot find the ticket anymore. However they would accept a scan from my CC print, thumbs up for that ^

After some time, I received by post the instructions how to get this item shipped back to Bose, but due to a holiday I'm unable to send them back in time, as there is a time limit on these shipping instructions.

Have to give them a call again, as I'm really addicted to my QC15's, can't miss them!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you buy a Bose product always register it online at bose.com . I do and anytime I contact them they have all the necessary info at any Bose store or the telephone help line.

MisterNice
Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Originally Posted by MisterNice
When you buy a Bose product always register it online at bose.com . I do and anytime I contact them they have all the necessary info at any Bose store or the telephone help line.

MisterNice
Thanks! Will do when I have my new/repaired set returned.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
After trying on a QC15 on an International flight compliment of AA, I went and got one myself and have never looked back.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Platinum
NC with volume control?

I just read the entire thread (whew!)

The thing that brought me here is a new laptop with a relatively low max volume. I used it a few days ago on an EWR-AMS flight and couldn't hear a thing thru my normal headphones.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of and can recommend a headset that will also amplify the sound.

By the way, I generally listen to audiobooks or watch webinars rather than listen to music. Fidelity isn't the issue for me that it is for so many others.

Thanks,

Steve
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by techauthor
I just read the entire thread (whew!)

The thing that brought me here is a new laptop with a relatively low max volume. I used it a few days ago on an EWR-AMS flight and couldn't hear a thing thru my normal headphones.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of and can recommend a headset that will also amplify the sound.

By the way, I generally listen to audiobooks or watch webinars rather than listen to music. Fidelity isn't the issue for me that it is for so many others.

Thanks,

Steve
On the Mac, there's a piece of software called Audio Hijack Pro by Rogue Amoeba that allows you to "hijack" the internal audio stream from the computer and apply plug-ins. Increasing the output volume (especially of quiet source material) would be one of the many options available. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a similar option on the Windows platform, but I'm sure something has to exist.

Of course, that won't work if the problem is with the PC's audio circuitry. If that's the case, then forcing the volume to increase inside the PC won't actually make anything louder; it will just overload the digital-analog converter and result in a harsh clipping sound that could damage both your ears and the headphones.

Any headset that increases the gain of the audio signal would have to have active amplification (i.e. batteries). I've never come across any that do this.

There are some USB-based external DACs with higher output volume levels that might be small enough to carry around with you and use...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:21 pm

QC 15 is very good , the best !

so handy , 1 AAA easy to change , you can buy it evrywhere.

One charger less for my carry on.

Sound quality is very good and the noise cancelling will take care of that : engine noise/people talking/FA/snoring neighbours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.