Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New! Bose QuietComfort 15 (replaces QuietComfort 2)

New! Bose QuietComfort 15 (replaces QuietComfort 2)

Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
apparently BOSE has a new product coming out every monday for the next 2 six weeks. So, I am going to stay tuned for what else hits the streets.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: Peasant at large
Any chance somebody's compare the QC15 to Sony's MDR-NC500D? Sony makes some pretty grandiose claims about its noise canceling capabilities but I've never tried one so I'm curious if it's more Bose-like marketing.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:17 pm

The reviews I read say that the NC500D are on par with the QC2, but cost $100 more. The Sony also have rechargeable batteries that last only 16 hrs. I would never remember to charge them.

http://www.headphoneinfo.com/content...omparisons.htm
Old Aug 26, 2009, 6:15 am

Has anyone used the QC 15 in an airplane already? The reviews I've read from PC Magazine (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2351856,00.asp) and CNET (http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/bos...CarouselArea.0) seem great and very promising. PC World goes as far to say that the QC15 is the most effective noise-cancellation headphone pair you can buy. Can't wait to trade up from my QC2.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:01 am

Personally, I'm not dropping any coin at the moment till the nokia BH-905 are officially out. They MIGHT be my next headset, might not. But, with "the best headset ever" tag line out there, AD2P, bluetooth, NC, audiophile audio, etc., they at least merit a test.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Has anyone used the QC 15 in an airplane already?
Yes, I've used on a flight on Monday. It's a lot better at the noise reduction than my QC2.

I don't like the new case design. It opens like a clamshell instead of like a book. I stuff a lot of other things in there and it's slightly thinner than the old one.

They did include a small loop at the top so you can hang it on the back of the seats in Y, though I can't remember the last time I flew in the back, so will probably never use that. The shoulder / neck strap and side loops were deleted.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Personally, I'm not dropping any coin at the moment till the nokia BH-905 are officially out. They MIGHT be my next headset, might not. But, with "the best headset ever" tag line out there, AD2P, bluetooth, NC, audiophile audio, etc., they at least merit a test.
I was going to say, I don't think you're "allowed" to use BT headphones on planes, but I read a review and you can use the wired connection. Personally I will never get headphones that require a proprietary rechargeable battery. I'll never remember to charge it and don't want to carry the charger everywhere I go. It's much easier to carry a spare AAA. The review also said the price will come in around €300, or around $400.

Last edited by Tummy; Aug 26, 2009 at 1:06 pm Reason: edited spelling, but I was too late and already quoted!
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by Tummy
I was going to say, I don't think you're "allowed" to use BT headphones on planes, but I read a review and you can use the wired connection. Personally I will never get headphones that require a preparatory rechargeable battery. I'll never remember to charge it and don't want to carry the charger everywhere I go. It's much easier to carry a spare AAA. The review also said the price will come in around 300, or around $400.
+1

Unless the battery can be charged by a USB port.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:35 am

retail pricing

I was going to say, I don't think you're "allowed" to use BT headphones on planes, but I read a review and you can use the wired connection. Personally I will never get headphones that require a proprietary rechargeable battery. I'll never remember to charge it and don't want to carry the charger everywhere I go. It's much easier to carry a spare AAA. The review also said the price will come in around 300, or around $400.
I think the retail pricing will still be around 300$ US. they would have a hard time putting it at too much of a premium, of course the 300EU is really about 260$, which at an adjusted EU/USD (not current spot) would be around 330$ which could easily be adjusted down to 300$.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Yes, I've used on a flight on Monday. It's a lot better at the noise reduction than my QC2.

I don't like the new case design. It opens like a clamshell instead of like a book. I stuff a lot of other things in there and it's slightly thinner than the old one.

They did include a small loop at the top so you can hang it on the back of the seats in Y, though I can't remember the last time I flew in the back, so will probably never use that. The shoulder / neck strap and side loops were deleted.
100% agree, the new case is a huge step down. The more I think about it, I think that the lucky eBay buyer of my old QC2 is going to get a brand new QC3 case.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by skofarrell
100% agree, the new case is a huge step down. The more I think about it, I think that the lucky eBay buyer of my old QC2 is going to get a brand new QC3 case.
I actually have several QC2 cases. My old pair were replaced 3 times, over about 5 years (free even when out of warranty) and Bose told me to mail only the headphone portion, so I kept several sets of accessories. I think their customer service is overall really great. I'm sure these things have very fat profit margins.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Do these work in a pass-through mode when the N/C is turned off or out of batteries? I know the old ones did not.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by adambadam
Do these work in a pass-through mode when the N/C is turned off or out of batteries? I know the old ones did not.
According to Bose's web site they do not.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:11 am

Programs: Peasant at large
Originally Posted by adambadam
I had the Sharper Image unit with the pass through mode when the battery is dead. It works but sound is quite different. Probably not worthwhile considering the Bose only uses 1 AAA to begin with.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 5:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
About time they created a newer version...

Haven't read the articles yet... but could be an interesting b-day present to myself... after all, mine are starting to have the leather(fake?) peel... and I sadly lost the case...

Are the components of the QC2 backward compatible (cables, etc)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.