Wiki Posts
Search

Sprint International Data Roaming.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2009, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Sprint International Data Roaming.

Anyone have experience with a US based Sprint mobile broadband (data) account roaming overseas? (Yes, I know I will need a SIM and a compatible aircard).

They do have a web page addressing this here

There is some mention of an unlimited International Data Plan but I could not verify this on the Sprint website. I have an inquiry to their international desk. Kind of cutesy; they make you set up a 'my international' account just to ask a question.

Countries for roaming would be El Salvador and Uganda.

Jim
Old Jul 26, 2009, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
The response: $16 per meg in El Salvador and no data in Uganda. The unlimited international data roaming was just a rumor - no more.

Ah well, Tmobile international Blackberry email (unlimited) is a pretty good fallback.

Jim
Old Jul 26, 2009, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimquan
The response: $16 per meg in El Salvador and no data in Uganda. The unlimited international data roaming was just a rumor - no more.

Ah well, Tmobile international Blackberry email (unlimited) is a pretty good fallback.

Jim
They do still offer an international unlimited plan - but it only works in the US, Canada and Mexico, and is limited to 5GB. Costs $99/month. That said - Sprint really needs to clean up their online information, everything published is one big mess.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: AA, PC
I'm going to bump this because its relevant...

I see Sprint offers Worldwide Data for $40/mo as an attachable onto an Everything plan (with a Windows or Palm device) - or $69.99 without the Everything plan. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. From my understanding of it, since its an attachable you can add it and activate it while in the US, travel, then come home and deactivate it and you will only get charged for the days/weeks you use it. I was wondering how well it worked for you, if it did, and if its worthwhile.

I also understand that texting with Sprint internationally isn't (officially) supported, but I've also heard its kind of YMMV. Was also wondering if anyone had any experience, positive or negative, with texting outside the US.

I'm going to be doing some international traveling in the next couple years and am hoping I can use at least some of the functionality of my existing phone without getting another one for travel purposes. I rarely make calls so the data and texting is all I really would want anyway.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
I use sprint international data. Prices as you stated, unlimited use. Yes, add right before you leave and remove after you come back and get charged prorated amount. Just make sure your sim is activated and plan is activated before you leave so you don't have any problems. Data works fine overseas. Also, check to make sure data access is possible in the countries you plan to visit. I haven't had much luck with texting when in GSM mode. It works on and off in the cdma mode. But unreliable in my experience.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by haricharan
I use sprint international data. Prices as you stated, unlimited use. Yes, add right before you leave and remove after you come back and get charged prorated amount. Just make sure your sim is activated and plan is activated before you leave so you don't have any problems. Data works fine overseas. Also, check to make sure data access is possible in the countries you plan to visit. I haven't had much luck with texting when in GSM mode. It works on and off in the cdma mode. But unreliable in my experience.
Do you have a GSM Data Card or phone? Do you have to set up your device for data in every country you visit?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by haricharan
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 2P
I just heard that the Sprint International Unlimited data roaming (40/month) has gone bye-bye never to return.

Is this true? This could get incredibly expensive.

How would you know how much data you are using? For instance, I get a buttload of emails to my yahoo/gmail accounts and no control over how much comes in. That could really rack up.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I just used sprint unlimited data last month....with my BB Tour. (btw it wasn't limited to US/Canada/Mexico)

What phone are you using? I got 1000's of mails over 3 weeks and it really isn't all that much with most email systems as it doesn't grab 100% of the data unless you are using pop3 to download it, which would be a very bad move on a phone at any time.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 5:25 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 2P
Originally Posted by Steph3n
I just used sprint unlimited data last month....with my BB Tour. (btw it wasn't limited to US/Canada/Mexico)

What phone are you using? I got 1000's of mails over 3 weeks and it really isn't all that much with most email systems as it doesn't grab 100% of the data unless you are using pop3 to download it, which would be a very bad move on a phone at any time.
I have the 8830, bought in May 2008. If the emails won't make much of a difference that is good to know (I heard that Sprint is going to a usage plan of $0.016/kbyte).

PS. I have used their 40 dollar plan since May 2008 in Europe, always successfully. Great deal. I'd hate to see it go away.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth
I just heard that the Sprint International Unlimited data roaming (40/month) has gone bye-bye never to return.

How would you know how much data you are using? For instance, I get a buttload of emails to my yahoo/gmail accounts and no control over how much comes in. That could really rack up.
After a lot of time on the phone with Sprint today it seems like this may sadly be correct. I've been using this plan for my international trips over the last year or so. Tried adding it today and was told by the international department that it was gone as of July 17th. Sprint's account services rep, after checking with her supervisor, insisted that the plan still exists. I was also told by Sprint international last time (3 weeks ago) I tried to add this plan onto my sisters phone that the plan is returning on or around October 31st. At the time that was too late for my sister's trip so we chose not to add it but it was being offered to us as an option. In any case everyone that I spoke with today in the international department insisted that the plan no longer exists.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:47 pm

I figured that as PDA data consumption continued to increase, these plans would have to go. Even though it involves a fair amount of money, I decided to leave my plan 24/7 on the theory that I was more likely to be able to keep what I had then get back what I lost.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Nov 19, 2010 at 8:17 pm
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I figured that as PDA data consumption continued to increase, these plans would have to go. Even though it involves a fair amount of money, I decided to leave my plan 24/7 on the theory that I was more likely to be able to keep what I ad then get back what I lost.
That was a smart move on your side if you data roam internationally often.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:36 pm
aly

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I figured that as PDA data consumption continued to increase, these plans would have to go. Even though it involves a fair amount of money, I decided to leave my plan 24/7 on the theory that I was more likely to be able to keep what I had then get back what I lost.
which version d u have; and is it still available
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:33 pm

[QUOTE=skywalkerbeth;14359063]I just heard that the Sprint International Unlimited data roaming (40/month) has gone bye-bye never to return.

I was told today that this plan is still available but only for business accounts. Can somebody verify if true?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.