Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How Useful is Wifi in a Cell Phone?

How Useful is Wifi in a Cell Phone?

Old Jul 12, 09, 11:49 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Wifi in a phone is a great thing. I use my Windows Mobile phone my home network to check emails by using Wifi. Much faster and more convenient than using GMS/UMTS.
Old Jul 12, 09, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
WIFI on a cell phone is pretty big for me. 3G networks are getting much better, but download and ESPECIALLY upload spees are going to lag most WIFI connected to internet network speeds.

Also, some 3G networks don't allow for certain applications like slingplayer over 3G, but they do over WIFI.

Also, as others have pointed out here I think, with WIFI when one is abroad, they can simply use the WIFI and not the cellular data plan and save the money on roaming or international 3G plans.

Also, if one does the above, one can use skype on many phones and have free or very inexpensive calling from abroad, or even domestically if they like.
Old Jul 12, 09, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is a decidedly "meh" feature for me. I won't buy (or not buy) specifically because of it and I doubt that I'd use it too often if I did have it. I wouldn't bother with things like sling on my mobile either, though, so I doubt I'm the target market. I use my BB for email on the road and some very basic web browsing. If I want to really use a computer I have my NetBook that is in the hotel room on the WiFi.
Old Jul 12, 09, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
The wifi on my Blackberry is great I can browse the internet when I've got wifi signal and it doesn't cost me through network data charges being on PAYG. I also like the UMA feature where I can make a call through my wifi if I can't get a signal on the thing.
Old Jul 12, 09, 8:07 pm

Programs: * A
I find the wifi on my phone as superb. This helpms me avoid the horrendous roaming charges traveling internationally plus where I don't necessarily want to carry the laptop.
Old Jul 13, 09, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Data is transmitted much more quickly via wifi. If you plan to use your phone anywhere that wifi is available, this is a big plus. Also, overseas you can use a wifi connection to make calls via skype and to download data for free.
Old Jul 13, 09, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVP 75K, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
I have it on my bold, and the only time I ever use it is if I remember, I'll turn it on before updating podcasts prior to leaving work since the download is faster. Other than that, it is a real non-feature. Can't notice much discernible difference browsing WiFi vs 3G. If AT&T routed voice calls over WiFi when traveling abroad, however, that might be a very useful feature.
Old Jul 13, 09, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I pay an incremental $20/month for overseas data, pro rated for only the days that I actually use it. That seems much easier than bothering to find an open WiFi hotspot wherever I am or paying whatever the going rate is for WiFi at the hotel if it is a paid rate.
Old Jul 13, 09, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I pay an incremental $20/month for overseas data, pro rated for only the days that I actually use it. That seems much easier than bothering to find an open WiFi hotspot wherever I am or paying whatever the going rate is for WiFi at the hotel if it is a paid rate.
Could I ask what company?
Old Aug 1, 09, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, EK Silver, SPG Plat
T-Mobile charges standard prepaid rates for Wi-Fi UMA calls. With their $1/day plan (no monthly fee), international calls back to the US cost $0.10/min. Even though I'm an AT&T customer, I bought a T-Mo phone with Wi-Fi just for international use (turning off the GSM network). Unused prepaid funds expire in 90 days, or 1 year if you buy $100. Good for US conference calls.
Old Aug 1, 09, 11:34 am

I have a Fuze (ATT's name for the Touch Pro). I rarely turn the Wifi on because it drains the battery, but in foreign countries I use Wifi instead of data.

I think if you get a smart phone with WIFI and never use it you will be better off than if you get a smart phone without wifi and need it.
Old Aug 1, 09, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Not much use to me

-Battery life is usually worse on WiFi.
-With the exception of e-mail I don't do much uploading from a cellphone
-Cellphone displays are too small for leisure web browsing
Old Aug 3, 09, 1:01 am

These days I wouldn't consider a phone that does not have Wifi, the ability to check emails for free, update positioning software for mobile GPS, download widgets, check google maps, link to my work server for emergency files, news headlines, quick checks on google, etc. And if I could use Skype without interruptions, it would be most ideal.
Old Aug 3, 09, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by gj83 View Post
I have a Fuze (ATT's name for the Touch Pro). I rarely turn the Wifi on because it drains the battery, but in foreign countries I use Wifi instead of data.

I think if you get a smart phone with WIFI and never use it you will be better off than if you get a smart phone without wifi and need it.
Thanks for the comments... I am a Verizon customer, and would jump on the new BB Tour as a global capable phone except that it lacks wifi. So I am thinking the HTC Ozone will provide the features of a smartphone with built-in wifi. The rumors are that all future Verizon BB products (Storm 2 etc.) will include wifi.
Old Aug 3, 09, 11:07 pm

Programs: TK *Gold; WN A-list; NEXUS; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I have the iphone which is, of course, wifi enabled. I wouldn't get a cell phone without it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: