Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Cheap Igo/Juice/whatever solution........

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have basically managed to find retractable USB charge cords for every device that I have. They generally cost me under $2 each in Asia. I've got a nice small 5 port USB hub that I bought for this purpose which cost me all of $7. I have a several 1000mah 110-240v Wall/USB chargers. The last one cost me $3. So for $20 I have the makings of a five device at once charger that fits nicely in a tiny pouch and with an added plug adaptor (of which I have literally dozens lying around) works everywhere on earth. Why would anyone go for the more pricey solutions/tips??
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
thats a good idea, thanks ^
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hfly
I have basically managed to find retractable USB charge cords for every device that I have. They generally cost me under $2 each in Asia. I've got a nice small 5 port USB hub that I bought for this purpose which cost me all of $7. I have a several 1000mah 110-240v Wall/USB chargers. The last one cost me $3. So for $20 I have the makings of a five device at once charger that fits nicely in a tiny pouch and with an added plug adaptor (of which I have literally dozens lying around) works everywhere on earth. Why would anyone go for the more pricey solutions/tips??
Chargepod can be found for as little as $35 and includes the pouch and a 3A charger. Your solution sounds great, but I'm just not sure it offers anything that much cheaper than a Chargepod.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:00 pm

great idea!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

But.........the chargepod only comes with 1 or 2 adaptors, so you are looking at $10 a pop for the different cables, while the retractable USB ones I refer to generally cost less than $2 a piece in Asia, so that is another$30-$40 or so difference. Its not just the cheapness I like, but the versatility and the portableness. My set up is tried and tested, and works better with the tiny 5 port hub I have, I must say that the cheaper 4 port hub I used with it first worked fine, except for some reason would not charge an Xperia X1 while three other items were charging, however I have no such problem with the 5 port hub I have. I also suppose a 7 port hub would work as well, I just havent tried it yet.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But.........the chargepod only comes with 1 or 2 adaptors, so you are looking at $10 a pop for the different cables, while the retractable USB ones I refer to generally cost less than $2 a piece in Asia, so that is another$30-$40 or so difference. Its not just the cheapness I like, but the versatility and the portableness. My set up is tried and tested, and works better with the tiny 5 port hub I have, I must say that the cheaper 4 port hub I used with it first worked fine, except for some reason would not charge an Xperia X1 while three other items were charging, however I have no such problem with the 5 port hub I have. I also suppose a 7 port hub would work as well, I just havent tried it yet.
I like it. I think I'm going to order one of these:

http://www.shop4tech.com/item8367.ht...FV6.2GqPwdG1mg

Add coupon GS15 to bring it down to $7.64
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OOh, I like the 7 port hub. Nice.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This subject has been referred to in 2-3 other threads. Just thought I would add that I recently picked up a "universal" laptop slim charger in Asia, which has tips for about any computer you can imagine and also sports a 2 AMP USB plug as well, so I can easily run 4-5 items off of my 5 port hub, so it really is a replacement for Igo Juice and whatever for a frcation of the price, the charger cost me all of $22 or so.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Originally Posted by ScottC
Chargepod can be found for as little as $35 and includes the pouch and a 3A charger. Your solution sounds great, but I'm just not sure it offers anything that much cheaper than a Chargepod.
I'm guessing the Chargepod is also UL & CE rated and less likely to set fire to your house / hotel room.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 3:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by winkydink
Originally Posted by ScottC

I'm guessing the Chargepod is also UL & CE rated and less likely to set fire to your house / hotel room.
So the price difference is $15. Let me know when I can get a rt from NY to Asia (upgradeable of course ,)) for $15. But seriously, there are some nice ideas there. For me the weight and size is more important than the cost if the latter is a couple dollars. Does anyone have a link to a good, compact, international USB charger?

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Dec 1, 2009 at 4:09 am
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

uhh, try again, each chargepod proprietary tip over and above the 2 they give you costs you. If you lose them they not only cost, but are problematic to replace, and it is not compact.

BTW, this is FT, I would surmise that 5-10% of people on here travel to Asia at least once in awhile, so maybe this isn;t geared toward you.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:56 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

uhh, try again, each chargepod proprietary tip over and above the 2 they give you costs you. If you lose them they not only cost, but are problematic to replace, and it is not compact.

BTW, this is FT, I would surmise that 5-10% of people on here travel to Asia at least once in awhile, so maybe this isn;t geared toward you.
Last time I went shopping in Asia it was in a spice market in Borneo earlier this year. I didn't see them.

Lighten up.

Actually you can buy them on Amazon for not much more. I have a bunch. I'm trying to determine whether something like the Lennert (?) USB charger takes the place of your hub and charger or whether the hub an charger is better. Any thoughts on that? Specific examples of good USB chargers would be most helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Dec 1, 2009 at 10:58 am
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dunno, where in Borneo, having been there a half dozen times in the last two years, including within the last month, I can guide you on your next trip if you wish. If you were in KK, there is one such arcade withing 50 meters of the main market where you may have been buying spices. If the Filipino market, you might have had to walk 200 meters. Kuching, Tawau, or any other place large enough to have such a market has stores that sell this stuff, but you are looking at costs 10-20% higher than West Malaysia, which in turn is the same again more expensive than China for example. Were you in Kalimantan instead of Sarawak and Borneo? Fewer and farther in between there.

In regards to USB chargers, they now cost nothing, which is pretty much the point of this whole exercise. In terms of "int'l" one, they are all 120-220/240, and I tend to find that having either US flats or Euro rounds solves almost every situation I could possibly have save Australia and a few Pacific islands.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:14 pm

Dunno, where in Borneo, having been there a half dozen times in the last two years, including within the last month, I can guide you on your next trip if you wish. If you were in KK, there is one such arcade withing 50 meters of the main market where you may have been buying spices. If the Filipino market, you might have had to walk 200 meters. Kuching, Tawau, or any other place large enough to have such a market has stores that sell this stuff, but you are looking at costs 10-20% higher than West Malaysia, which in turn is the same again more expensive than China for example. Were you in Kalimantan instead of Sarawak and Borneo? Fewer and farther in between there.

In regards to USB chargers, they now cost nothing, which is pretty much the point of this whole exercise. In terms of "int'l" one, they are all 120-220/240, and I tend to find that having either US flats or Euro rounds solves almost every situation I could possibly have save Australia and a few Pacific islands.
Kota Kimabalu. Sarawak I think but I forget. I was supposed to be in Manila a couple weeks ago but canceled. To be honest I can't stand the place.

Some of the USB chargers I see are only 110. Surprising but true. Where can you get what you are talking about is my point? Which specific ones? How big are they? I would spend more to save space and have fewer parts. I'm saying the devil is inthe details. Which charger and does that work better than the combo power supply -multiple USB port? I'm trying to get specifics that can be acted on, ie bought. I think it is am interesting but a bit vague suggestion.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Dec 1, 2009 at 12:16 pm
Old Dec 1, 2009, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

KK is in Sabah not Sarawak. Feel the same about Manila, but I do like Sabah. Anyway, out in Asia most are 110-220V and quite frankly few if any have any brand name, last ones I picked up were 2AMP and were under $1.50 each. These things are now widgets/commodities, except when manufactured in White and packaged as Ipod accesories and go for multiples of that price. Then again having it combined with thin laptop power brick is the best which is what I've just done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.