Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can I Use My Kindle During Take-Off & Landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I Use My Kindle During Take-Off & Landing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAFA
This kind of post is very amusing to me. Why is it that most passengers think flight attendants are technologically challenged? I am one of the flight attendants who checks that they are turned off when the person still has their device out and obviously on way after the electronic device announcement was made. I don't get it when people tell me they are off yet continue to text on their phones, type on their laptop, read their kindles, dial up the next song on their ipod....etc. Maybe you can help me understand what that's all about.
Sure I don't think anyone thinks the flight attendants are stupid. The reality is a cost/benefit sort of thing. The passenger wants to use his electronic device for the entire flight, and has convinced himself that doing that is probably not going to make the plane crash. Unfortunately, this desire conflicts with the law. So he has to decide; deprive himself of the electronic device, or violate the law.

This ends up being a pretty easy decision, though. If he uses the device and gets caught, he just gets a stern warning. If he doesn't get caught, then he gets what he wants. So there is really no downside to ignoring the rules, and there is a big upside for not following the rules. So people don't follow the rules.

If there was some actual punishment, then people would probably pay more attention to the rules.

(And FWIW, I have a Kindle, but I don't use it until the FA says it's allowed. I know it's an electronic device, and I know it's against the rules, and I don't want to get yelled at. So I just look out the window for 5 minutes. But I think I am nicer than many frequent flyers )
Old Oct 10, 2009, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by jrockway
Everyone can follow the rules if they want to. You just choose not to.
Tell that to the man with the pacemaker!
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by jrockway
Uh, what? My phone takes a while to startup, but I still completely power it down for takeoff / landing. (I have no interest in using it in the air, so it usually stays off for the entire flight to save battery power.)

It is faster to just turn the radio off, sure, but that is not what the FAA regulations are asking you to do. If you want to ignore the rules, that's fine, but all phones allow you to follow the rules if you want to. Worse case, remove the battery. The phone will be completely powered off.

Anyway, the tone of your post indicates that you don't like the rules. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but saying that it's technically impossible to follow the rules is just plain wrong. Everyone can follow the rules if they want to. You just choose not to.
What I'm saying is that there are so many other devices on the plane in states that violate the rules that there's not much point having the rules in the first place. Those are "conveniently" ignored by flight attendants.

Blackberries, Windows Mobile phones, iPhones, Symbian devices, PalmOS and WebOS phones don't completely power off when you press the "Off" switch. However, pressing the "Off" switch is normally all it takes to satisfy an FA, so please tell me how a Kindle is any more a danger than any of those devices, on or off, nevermind the aforementioned laptops and other personal electronic devices previously listed that are for some reason exempt from a FA's attention.

As far as removing the battery to guarantee that a device is "off" is concerned, that might prove difficult without very specialized tools for some phones, particularly the iPhone. And it's no treat with most Blackberries, either.

Join the sheeple if you like; it's your choice. I prefer to use common sense coupled with a basic working knowledge of electronics.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Techically the FARs say turned off. I personally don't have an issue with a passenger using a Kindle during Take Off and Landing... unless your seated in an Exit Row. Keep in mind that almost all emergencies happen during TO/Landing, the most critical times of a flight... If I need you to help me evacuate the AC and your sitting in the Exit Row I don't need you distracted by your Kindle. So I'm going to ask that you turn if off and properly stow it in the overhead bin or in your bag under seat in front of you. (Your holding it on your lap doesn't count as stowed)
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:35 pm

I understand that, but do you do the same with people reading a book?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Davidwnc
I understand that, but do you do the same with people reading a book?

If you're in the exit row and my jumpseat is in front of you, your book has to be stowed to save my teeth.

FWIW: MY phone is always on. It's stowed though. That's the major point. You need to take your stuff and put it away for takeoff and landing.

FARs say everything off for takeoff and landing. FARs also say everything stowed. Stowed takes precedence over off because not stowed creates projectiles.

If your stuff is on and you don't blatantly have it out and about, who cares? If you have it on and you're actively working with the device, than you need to stop and put it away. When you are actively working on it while telling us it is off, it's irritating to the flight crew. Irritating the flight crew is not good for you.

When you're blatantly violating the rules you're creating trouble for yourself. The short period of taxi-takeoff or landing is not worth being a crybaby over. Is it?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by PorkRind
For those of you that get annoyed when an FA requests you turn your Kindle off, here's an idea that will, I suspect, get them to leave you alone . . . Warning: nerdy stuff below. It takes a little dedication to the Kindle cause to work through it.

On your personal computer, grab a screen capture (print screen) from a page of the on-line religious reference book of your choice. Bible, Koran, Torah, Necronomicon, Dianetics, doesn't matter. It needs to be an image, not a text file. Size it to 600x800 pixels to fit the kindle screen, then follow the instructions here to turn it into a screensaver for your Kindle.

Now, when a FA gives you a hard time about reading your kindle during take-off, simply press Alt-AA, look at him/her with quiet panic, state that you are a very nervous flyer and that the word of your deity calms you . . . and that you hope that the FA would not mind if you continued reading. If he/she still insists, increase your breathing rate, twitch, and otherwise develop more extreme signs of discomfort. Reduce your level of distress only when you glance down at the image on your Kindle display. Chances are, you'll be left alone at that point. You might even get a comforting pat on the arm

When he/she leaves, press Alt-AA again and pick up where you left off
The correct flight attendant response would be, "I'll call the captain and we can return to the gate and let you off".
Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:01 am

The correct flight attendant response would be, "I'll call the captain and we can return to the gate and let you off".
My, my . . . that would create quite a public-relations issue if a passenger were to put that response to the test. While I haven't had any problems using my Kindle during take-off and landing, I just might take an FA up on the offer to return to the gate in such a situation . . . and you can bet I'd be calling every consumer advocate I can find.

CNN Breaking News:
"AA Passenger Ejected from Flight for Bible-Reading."

I'd also bet the captain would be more than just a little annoyed to find out that an FA took it upon him/herself to deny a passenger the benefit of the soothing word of his deity during the most dangerous portions of the flight.

Oh, and

Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:10 am

If you're in the exit row and my jumpseat is in front of you, your book has to be stowed to save my teeth.
And for passengers not in the exit row? Are they required to stow their dead-tree books because of their projectile potential?

My Kindle is a fraction of the weight of the average JK Rowling or Steven King hardcover novel, and is far less effective in causing personal injury, regardless of the method employed.

FWIW: MY phone is always on. It's stowed though. That's the major point. You need to take your stuff and put it away for takeoff and landing.
Ah, I see. The "rules" don't apply to you, so no problem, right?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by flightattendantsteve
Techically the FARs say turned off. I personally don't have an issue with a passenger using a Kindle during Take Off and Landing... unless your seated in an Exit Row. Keep in mind that almost all emergencies happen during TO/Landing, the most critical times of a flight... If I need you to help me evacuate the AC and your sitting in the Exit Row I don't need you distracted by your Kindle. So I'm going to ask that you turn if off and properly stow it in the overhead bin or in your bag under seat in front of you. (Your holding it on your lap doesn't count as stowed)
Do you request that passengers in exit rows stow books/magazines/newspapers too? I'm guessing that you'll answer "no."

What, specifically, makes the Kindle (or any dedicated eBook reader) more of a distraction than any other type of reading material?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by Davidwnc
Tell that to the man with the pacemaker!
Actually David, Medical Devices are exempt from the FAR concerning PEDs
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
This was my thought too, but the rules can't keep up.
So true. The hope and expectation of many is that early in 2010 Apple will be introducing their rumored "tablet" which will not only be a "Kindle on steroids" with hyperlinks to great multimedia content of interest to the subject matter but also a full fledged netbook, etc. At that time I guess the FA's would have to either refer to "the approved devices listing in the SkyMiles magazine" or where ever or specifically say NO to Kindles. However the new Tablets will arguably be smart phones on steroids with texting and e-mail capability. And reportedly some other vendors will have mini- tablets with 4" screens - not much larger than an iPhone. So when the FA's announce that cell
phones and other electronic devices may be used until the boarding door is closed but computers may not be used and must be stowed etc., how will they regard the new "tablets"?

Allan F
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:59 pm

My, my . . . that would create quite a public-relations issue if a passenger were to put that response to the test. While I haven't had any problems using my Kindle during take-off and landing, I just might take an FA up on the offer to return to the gate in such a situation . . . and you can bet I'd be calling every consumer advocate I can find.

CNN Breaking News:
"AA Passenger Ejected from Flight for Bible-Reading."

I'd also bet the captain would be more than just a little annoyed to find out that an FA took it upon him/herself to deny a passenger the benefit of the soothing word of his deity during the most dangerous portions of the flight.

Oh, and

It wouldn't be your bible reading that would make you go back to the gate, it would be your twitching and heavy breathing that would do it.

If you weren't displaying signs of a panic attack or some other ailment, I would explain to you that your electronic device needed to be turned off and if you really needed to read the bible I would get you the one we had on board.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:01 pm

Do you request that passengers in exit rows stow books/magazines/newspapers too? I'm guessing that you'll answer "no."

What, specifically, makes the Kindle (or any dedicated eBook reader) more of a distraction than any other type of reading material?
Get it in your head that it is an electronic device and needs to be turned off and stowed and you'll be ok. A real book doesn't turn on and off.

BTW, The exit rows I'm talking about are those that are at door exits where the only seat in front of you is the FA jumpseat. I'm not talking about the window exits.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:15 am

Get it in your head that it is an electronic device and needs to be turned off and stowed and you'll be ok. A real book doesn't turn on and off.
A Kindle is a "real book." It just isn't made out of dead trees. Perhaps you need to get it in your head that eBook readers are no more "on" than the many dozens of passengers' electronic devices on your aircraft that you conveniently ignore, not to mention your very own FAR-violating cell phone (which, by the way, generates levels of EMI orders of magnitude greater than any eBook*, and is therefore a far greater threat to the avionics of your aircraft**). Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk.

BTW, The exit rows I'm talking about are those that are at door exits where the only seat in front of you is the FA jumpseat. I'm not talking about the window exits.
That I understand, and your specific concern with regard to unsecured objects as potential projectiles is valid. But the post to which I was responding wasn't in reference to that issue, it was flightattendantsteve's claim that eBooks are a distraction . . . apparently moreso than "conventional" (but no more "real") books. I asked him to justify his claim, but he has so far declined to do so.

* Some eBooks, notably the Kindle, are equipped with cellular radios for the browsing, ordering and downloading of books. The radio in mine is turned on only when I run out of reading material and need to obtain something new, then turned off again.

** I am in no way suggesting that cell phones are dangerous to aircraft avionics, but that is one justification that the FAA is using for their demand that all electronics be turned off for takeoff and landing, and cell radios be kept off during flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.