Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can I Use My Kindle During Take-Off & Landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I Use My Kindle During Take-Off & Landing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:22 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. The default answer for AA is the on/off switch. If it has on it's supposed to be off.

2. I don't think there are more rule breakers in F than Y, but I'm a rule breaker so I don't pay much attention.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by ldpeters
I for one have lied and said my Kindle doesn't have an on/off switch. This worked in the past, but works less well now.

Either way, the interference won't make a difference, and I almost always turn mine back on as soon as the flight attendants have taken their seats. I do religiously turn off all *other* electronic devices, and I make sure to turn off the Kindle radio -- but to deprive one of reading material, takes it one too far.

So do some wristwatches -- but we aren't asked to turn those off for takeoff/landing.

^ I pretty much agree with this. The whole electronic thing is a silly/stupid rule and I would break the rule whenever I could. I shut off my phone for Take Off/Approach/Landing, but if I had a Kindle.. you could darn well be sure that I'm keeping it on.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Once you turn the cell phone part of the Kindle off, it poses no risk.

I'm batting about 75% as far as whether the FA forces me to turn off the Kindle. Since I usually use it with the Amazon cover, a lot of FA's don't even notice it as electronic given it doesn't give off the characteristic glare of an active LCD.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Originally Posted by jlp187
yes, Kindle is an electronic device. It uses e-ink and it has an internal receiver (for wifi and mobile network connectivity).
Once set in a particular pattern, the e-ink used by the Kindle takes zero power to maintain, unlike a typical LCD screen. The Kindle literature says this quite clearly: "electronic paper does not need power to hold the ink in place". Therefore, as long as the wireless (radio) feature of the Kindle is turned off, which is achieved via a software setting and not via a physical switch, the Kindle poses absolutely no "electronic" hazard to the airplane or its communications systems. It literally makes no difference whether or not the physical on/off switch on the top of the device is "on" or "off" -- either way, the Kindle e-ink screen is on. The only thing that differs is whether an actual book page or one of the several generic Kindle standby screens is displayed.

AA doesn't make us literally pull the batteries out of our cell phones and other electronic devices; they just require that we turn the phones off (i.e., no wireless connection). Similarly, there is no reason for AA to insist that we display a Kindle standby page rather than an actual Kindle book page, even during takeoff and landing (by analogy, we're not required to close our paper books and display the covers at those times). All we should do is turn the Kindle wireless off. Just like for a cell phone, there's really no way for them to know whether or not we truly do so (short of grabbing the device out of our hand and examining it), but we should still turn off the wireless... and there's no good reason for them to force us to stop reading on the Kindle.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by MM983
^ I pretty much agree with this. The whole electronic thing is a silly/stupid rule and I would break the rule whenever I could. I shut off my phone for Take Off/Approach/Landing, but if I had a Kindle.. you could darn well be sure that I'm keeping it on.
Perhaps they would like you to turn off the electronic device to make sure you can quickly and easily pay attention to crew member instructions in case of an emergency event (I presume their are more such events during takeoff and landing than during cruise).
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by envgeo
Perhaps they would like you to turn off the electronic device to make sure you can quickly and easily pay attention to crew member instructions in case of an emergency event (I presume their are more such events during takeoff and landing than during cruise).
In that respect what's the difference between reading a Kindle and a book. If what you say above is the reason for turning it off, then they should ask people to put away their books/newspapers/magazines....but they don't.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
As two previous posters have mentioned, the Kindle does not require any power to keep an image on its screen. Therefore, it should not be included.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 7:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Perhaps with yours. My Kindle certainly has a switch (held 5 - 10 seconds) and turns on and off.

Originally Posted by JSFox
Kindle's CANNOT be turned off. There is no ON/OFF switch.

The wireless system CAN be turned off.

Sliding the switch and holding for 10 sec puts a screensaver on the screen. This has NO impact on the kindle being ON/OFF.

On 6 flights I've asked pilots in front of the FA's if it's OK to read a Kindle since it does not have an ON/OFF switch and all I can do is close the cover. 4 pilots have said reading them during takeoff/landing is find but just make sure the wireless is off.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Rampo
I have a Kindle 1 and never have the wireless on while on a plane, but I never bother to turn the unit off completely. I think it's hit or miss as to whether an FA will stop you from reading the Kindle while taking off or landing. If they realize that it's an electronic device, they probably will, but at a quick glance the Kindle looks like a book and will often go unnoticed. But no FA is going to check to see if the unit is actually turned off.

This kind of post is very amusing to me. Why is it that most passengers think flight attendants are technologically challenged? I am one of the flight attendants who checks that they are turned off when the person still has their device out and obviously on way after the electronic device announcement was made. I don't get it when people tell me they are off yet continue to text on their phones, type on their laptop, read their kindles, dial up the next song on their ipod....etc. Maybe you can help me understand what that's all about.

Do you think flight attendants are stupid or that we live in the airplane and have no knowledge of any new electronic breakthroughs? Kind of like you're visiting the past in your time machine and the flight attendants from the past just think you're all eccentric because you're talking into objects, typing on weird typewriters, and have items that light up.

It's really not so hard. All electronic devices off means, um, all electronic devices off. I kind of get a kick out of doing my final checks before takeoff and then quietly skulking back up the aisle a few minutes later to catch all the people who thought I was gone who have turned their electronics back on, put their trays back down, and once again reclined their seats. There's always a few. The other passengers enjoy it too.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by AAFA
It's really not so hard. All electronic devices off means, um, all electronic devices off.
Including things like digital watches...
Old Oct 10, 2009, 7:55 am

Do you think flight attendants are stupid or that we live in the airplane and have no knowledge of any new electronic breakthroughs? Kind of like you're visiting the past in your time machine and the flight attendants from the past just think you're all eccentric because you're talking into objects, typing on weird typewriters, and have items that light up.
Then, as a technologically adept FA, you surely realize that on the average flight there are likely 30-50 laptops in "suspend" mode in the overheads and under seats, each using a trickle of electricity to maintain memory state?

That there are probably 80 or more cell phones in essentially the same state? Most modern cell and smart phones don't truly "shut off" since their operating systems have gotten so large and complex that there would be a serious acceptance factor for said new technology if the only option was to completely power down at takeoff and sit through the 2-3 minute boot up time after landing.

That even iPods operate in this fashion?

Never mind wristwatches (some of which actually qualify as full-blown computers, running the Linux operating system!), pacemakers, hearing aids, electronic neural stimulators for epilepsy, etc. aren't even in standby mode after the door is closed?

Seriously, 99.99% of the time, a Kindle turned ON produces no more electronic interference than a Kindle turned OFF, and far less than the GPS-enabled digital watch the athletic gentleman sitting in 1D is wearing.

So if the reason you're giving to turn eBook readers off is the same one you're NOT using to force people to completely power down all of the hardware listed above, you may want to rethink your position.

If it's the whole "we need your immediate attention in case of an emergency" spiel, you better be making sure that every passenger with a dead-tree book, newspaper or magazine puts THAT away until they've reached 10,000 feet, too.

Of course, venting my little diatribe while sitting at the gate will most likely get me ejected from the plane, so I'll do just what most other Kindle-readers do and close the cover when I see or hear you coming down the aisle.

Then open it again, and continue to enjoy reading my f%$#ing BOOK.

Last edited by Dodge DeBoulet; Oct 10, 2009 at 8:04 am
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
This kind of post is very amusing to me. Why is it that most passengers think flight attendants are technologically challenged? I am one of the flight attendants who checks that they are turned off when the person still has their device out and obviously on way after the electronic device announcement was made.
Actually, judging from what I've read on the Kindle forums, many Kindle owners don't know how to completely shut off their Kindles either. Hell, the Zune has a goofy way of turning completely off and sometimes I forget how to do it and have to google it. These days many devices, including the Kindle, come with a sleep mode, which I suspect is what many passengers wind up using rather than completely shutting the power off.

Even the most technologically savvy FAs are looking to see if people are actively using a device, not checking every device to make sure that its powered off vs in sleep mode. And when it's in a cover, a Kindle - especially the Kindle 1 - looks very much like a book.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:49 am

For those of you that get annoyed when an FA requests you turn your Kindle off, here's an idea that will, I suspect, get them to leave you alone . . . Warning: nerdy stuff below. It takes a little dedication to the Kindle cause to work through it.

On your personal computer, grab a screen capture (print screen) from a page of the on-line religious reference book of your choice. Bible, Koran, Torah, Necronomicon, Dianetics, doesn't matter. It needs to be an image, not a text file. Size it to 600x800 pixels to fit the kindle screen, then follow the instructions here to turn it into a screensaver for your Kindle.

Now, when a FA gives you a hard time about reading your kindle during take-off, simply press Alt-AA, look at him/her with quiet panic, state that you are a very nervous flyer and that the word of your deity calms you . . . and that you hope that the FA would not mind if you continued reading. If he/she still insists, increase your breathing rate, twitch, and otherwise develop more extreme signs of discomfort. Reduce your level of distress only when you glance down at the image on your Kindle display. Chances are, you'll be left alone at that point. You might even get a comforting pat on the arm

When he/she leaves, press Alt-AA again and pick up where you left off
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
As two previous posters have mentioned, the Kindle does not require any power to keep an image on its screen. Therefore, it should not be included.
it does require power to move from page to page though, so, I guess reading that ONE page would be fine. Otherwise, it uses power and is "on"
Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PorkRind
Most modern cell and smart phones don't truly "shut off" since their operating systems have gotten so large and complex that there would be a serious acceptance factor for said new technology if the only option was to completely power down at takeoff and sit through the 2-3 minute boot up time after landing.
Uh, what? My phone takes a while to startup, but I still completely power it down for takeoff / landing. (I have no interest in using it in the air, so it usually stays off for the entire flight to save battery power.)

It is faster to just turn the radio off, sure, but that is not what the FAA regulations are asking you to do. If you want to ignore the rules, that's fine, but all phones allow you to follow the rules if you want to. Worse case, remove the battery. The phone will be completely powered off.

Anyway, the tone of your post indicates that you don't like the rules. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but saying that it's technically impossible to follow the rules is just plain wrong. Everyone can follow the rules if they want to. You just choose not to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.