Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

TT Web Browsing Clinic: Legitimate links lead to cr@p?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Hello All,

If I google search on a topic and click on a site that appears legitimate from the google search, it leads me to junk with pop-ups. If I repeat the search and click the link (identical from above), I get to the right source on the second try. Never had this until recently. No new software or downloads I am aware of. Any leads? TIA.
Old May 13, 2009, 8:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You probably have spyware on, browser redirects, something like that. Do a full scan with one of the spyware products, clean and repeat until a scan is clear, then repeat with another of the spyware products in case the first one missed something.

Spybot is a good one to start with.

Microsoft has a page on browser hijacking here

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...serhijack.mspx

it's a bit old, but some of the info is still good.

Be prepared, most times it's a fairly simple process to remove it, some of them however can take your sanity to clean up.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another vote for your machine probably being infected.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:54 pm

Programs: ex-DL FO, what a pedigree
Sometimes it is as simple as looking to see if your browser is being redirected through a proxy server. Go into your browser settings and see if that is the case, as it is a pretty easy thing to fix. If you don't know how, post and we'll help!
Old May 14, 2009, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat
It could also be a poisoned DNS server that you're using or your DNS settings could be altered. What makes me think that is it could be your DNS settings is that you say you get the right page on another attempt. Your ISP will be able to provide you with their legitimate DNS server addresses so check these against the ones configured on your PC. If you're running through a home router/cable modem then you may find your PCs DNS points to this box so check the settings on that as well.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:48 pm

almost certainly you have some malware.

download and run Spybot Search & Destroy from http://www.spybot.com/. (Free).

If you do not have anti-malware (anti-virus, anti-spyware) installed on your PC then it is time to do it. There are loads of options, here is a review of different options from last October: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2333448,00.asp

Ron
Old May 14, 2009, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Spybot seems to have worked. Thanks all!
Old May 15, 2009, 5:38 am

Programs: Priority Club, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Choice Privileges, WorldPerks, SkyMiles, RapidRewards
One of the best new-comers in the Antispyware realm is

www.malwarebytes.org

Free to scan, pay to have it in "watching" or preventative mode.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.