Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I still never use WhatsApp. I had it on my phone for a while but never used it even once.

shrug
Is there another product you use instead? Or you just stick with SMS?

I find myself using plain old iMessages and Signal more often now. Still plenty of WhatsApp users around though.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah a lot of smaller businesses advertise their WA numbers.

So for me, a matter of using what they already had. Their success feeds greater adoption or use.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It depends who you communicate with. For me, my business and personal communications in Europe and Africa are totally dominated by Whatsapp. The USA less so, but still a lot there too. Much more iMessage in the US, but that's where the bulk of the iPhones are.
TWA884 and MareLuce like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:52 am

IMessage and FaceTime would be the standard if it was open to Android and Windows PCs,
but it's not , so What's app gets used.

​​​​​​And to believe that WhatsApp is secure when it's owned by Facebook is a joke ,

Best to believe that None of these message services are secure , backdoors are probably there and Russian hackers are very good !
Old May 11, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Best to believe that None of these message services are secure , backdoors are probably there and Russian hackers are very good !
Yes you should always assume that someone can see all your messages. But the Russians are nothing compared to the NSA, GCHQ, etc.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
IMessage and FaceTime would be the standard if it was open to Android and
​​​​​​!
Why would it? What does IMessage give you over WhatsApp?

Everyone I know here in the UK uses WhatsApp. Even iPhone users.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:17 pm
Suspended

WA is suppose to be encrypted.

Gotta be better than email at least?
Old May 11, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always find it odd when dealing with people in the US who are not that familiar with Whatsapp, as for at least the last 5 years, I would say that that other than China and the UAE, where using it is a pain, it is pretty much THE STANDARD for communications almost anywhere I go.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
We outsourced some of our grunt work to BLR; WA is huge there and all of my Indian co-workers use it as their primary comms app and we even run meetings on it.

Before then, I'd had an account but never used it as in the States SMS and data are plentiful.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Internaut
Darth Hoodie ...
!
Old May 12, 2019, 3:27 pm

Can you get a Name on WhatsApp so thats what shows to users ?
or do you have to use your private phone number ?
Old May 13, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by wco81
I have to say that in my last few trips, I'm finding more and more people I have to communicate with use WhatsApp.
Whats up is huge around the world. One thing to keep in mind is that unlimited call and data plans are common and inexpensive in the US, in the rest of the world they can be expensive or unaffordable for a population that earns a couple of $/day.

WhatsApp provides easy and free communication via wifi, not needing to use minutes or data. I don't think you need a cell plan, just a cell and wifi.

In the last year I have traveled to a handful of countries (Russia, Chile, Canada, Jordan, Colombia, Mexico) where I have communicated with uber drivers, guides, hotels, air bnb hosts, made dinner reservations, etc via whats up. It is now a business tool. After gps, I think whats up has been the second most useful tool when travelling.

I am fortunate to have T-Mobile international plan (the free one), but my travel friends and family did not have roaming or unlimited minutes, so we communicated via whatsup when they had wifi, huge convenience, this saved us in Disney and Russia World Cup. My friends met some girls and communicated via WA.

I have multiple groups, and we communicate weekly.

Another useful feature, I was in Mexico during a wedding, and the bride created a wedding group for all guests and used that to message us updates, photos, etc.

Recently, I have noticed that video calls, and voice calls are significantly better quality, less dropped calls.

I guess if you don't travel internationally too much, or most of your friends are in the US and have I-phones, you don't use whatsup.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
For intl traveller we no longer have to worry about keeping in touch with the need to send people our local numbers.

Your WhatsApp acct stays with your handset no matter what SIM is in there.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Whoops!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48262681

Hackers were able to remotely install surveillance software on phones and other devices using a major vulnerability in messaging app WhatsApp, it has been confirmed.

WhatsApp, which is owned by Facebook, said the attack targeted a "select number" of users, and was orchestrated by "an advanced cyber actor".

A fix was rolled out on Friday.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

Already updated.

I've not used WA for voice that much.

Viber is also a good choice if you need to call real numbers. Really dirt cheap calling rates. I bought $5 credit through the iOS App. Store over a year ago and I still have almost $4 left.

They also offer a Viber number, which could be based in any country. But it's not as good a deal, they want like $5 a month for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.