Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Calchas
The way Facebook deduces your number is by examining those people who have stored you as a contact in their phone and who have given Facebook access to their contacts. If 50 Facebook members have a guy called "John Smith"/"Jon Smith"/"John S"/"Big J"/"JJ"/"John mob"/"John tinder" in their phone all with the same number, it doesn't take too much to figure out what the name of this person is.
50 people! A total 8 people have my WhatsApp number (they're the only contacts stored on my smartphone) and of those only 4 are on Facebook. So I suppose it is technically possible although it would be more difficult. I cannot fathom why anyone would give Facebook or any other company access to the contacts on their phone. That's very private information.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
OP, you made your mother proud.

Congratulations.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I see the OP is leaving WhatsApp: WhatsApp boss and co-founder Jan Koum to quit - BBC News

Is it so you can spend more time on FT again?
cubbie likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Is he even flying commercial any more?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Apparently @jkb76 likes to play ultimate- drop me a line next time you're in the Baltimore/DC area and we can toss!

FDW
Old May 1, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Is he even flying commercial any more?
I like to think that even with $19B in the bank, I'd still occasionally slum it in F, just to stay in touch with how the common man travels...

And also still enjoy the satisfaction of managing a successful M&M reward flight!
Old May 1, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Still the most ridiculous thread in the history of FT. I cannot begin to comprehend building something like this and selling it for $19B.

Truly incredible.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Seems like jan has quit fb last night mmmh
Old May 1, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Oh it's much. much more than $19b now. Facebook stock has increased a heck of a lot since that deal. Of course it depends on how much he cashed out, but I would guess that he kept most of in in FB stock. I wonder if he is thinking about what to do next with all that wealth. He could start some amazing new businesses, but of course you need that Golden idea to make the effort worthwhile.
kaka likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
Oh it's much. much more than $19b now. Facebook stock has increased a heck of a lot since that deal. Of course it depends on how much he cashed out, but I would guess that he kept most of in in FB stock. I wonder if he is thinking about what to do next with all that wealth. He could start some amazing new businesses, but of course you need that Golden idea to make the effort worthwhile.
The indications in the press are that the co-founders had concerns about the direction of WhatsApp under Facebook over privacy (or maybe other things too). Some articles are saying that at least the second co-founder to leave may be leaving as much as nearly a billion dollars behind due to leaving before the last tranches of stock were to be fully vested/unrestricted. The co-founders are very wealthy men by any stretch of the imagination, and I am hoping they use a lot more of the money to promote privacy and civil liberties in a world that has them under assault from the left, the right, the business sector, governments, and criminal/rogue elements.

I am pretty sure that most of their wealth is not in Facebook shares. The key guidance is to diversify, and I would hope that it was done big time as soon as they could.
kaka likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 1, 2018 at 11:19 am
Old May 1, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Sometimes it just happens. A man creates something great, gets a good reputation and then sells out. Well done on then selling at the right point. Good ideas and hard work deserve reward. We’d all like to achieve that. Selling to Darth Hoodie, on the other hand...
Old May 2, 2018, 6:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Internaut
Sometimes it just happens. A man creates something great, gets a good reputation and then sells out. Well done on then selling at the right point. Good ideas and hard work deserve reward. We’d all like to achieve that. Selling to Darth Hoodie, on the other hand...
Sometimes the act of “selling to the enemy” at what may turn out to be a high price (to the buyer) is simply good business to weaken “the enemy” and have more resources for use against “the enemy”. Even if unintended.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:37 am
Suspended

Would he have agreed to the merger/acquisition deal with FB if all these concerns about data protection and privacy came out before the proposed deal?

They made it sound like they left FB because they disagreed with some FB practices around data privacy.

But hasn't it always been clear that FB intended to monetize personal data and that meant they were going to do invasive mining?
Old May 2, 2018, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wco81
.But hasn't it always been clear that FB intended to monetize personal data and that meant they were going to do invasive mining?
No. Acquiring parties sell themselves to acquisition targets (and even clients and suppliers) in ways that don’t clearly turn out the way the acquiring parties represented themselves. That said, anyone who has been in this game long enough — but most haven’t been — know that the founders sellIng generally end up losing control of, and even influence over, their proverbial baby.

But I’ve never trusted Facebook and its founders. But for a few billion dollars, who wouldn’t be suspending a disbelief in Facebook’s trustworthiness.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:36 pm
Suspended

That's my point. If they're quitting FB now over principle, where was that principle when there was a $19 billion acquisition offer on the table?

I'm not saying I would have passed up that money. But citing principle now? Well with FU money, you can do whatever you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.