Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by sama
The main problem with this might be that itīs "lonely" there if all your friends and co-workers will stay with whatsapp.
To me, this is the biggest benefit of WhatsApp. I tried Telegram - it works in a very similar way (though they have a better desktop client, had it for longer, do better with backups, and are much more secure) - but I had so few friends there that it just wasn't worth it.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:14 am
HMO

Originally Posted by sama
The main problem with this might be that itīs "lonely" there if all your friends and co-workers will stay with whatsapp.
I had this problem in a place I worked, the owner just loves Viber, and despises Whatsapp. Everybody was kind of obligated to install Viber in order to communicate each other.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I've finally got around to installing and using Whatsapp but I'm having an issue with notifications. If the phone (Samsung XCover 4 on Nougat) screen is on and unlocked then I get notifications. If the phone is (not always but mostly locked) with the screen off I get nothing until I unlock it. I've tried everything I can think of and everything I can find on Google. Does anyone have any clever ideas? I've turned off the battery saving, turned on sync, allowed notifications whenever it wants and still nothing.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:30 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I've finally got around to installing and using Whatsapp but I'm having an issue with notifications. If the phone (Samsung XCover 4 on Nougat) screen is on and unlocked then I get notifications. If the phone is (not always but mostly locked) with the screen off I get nothing until I unlock it. I've tried everything I can think of and everything I can find on Google. Does anyone have any clever ideas? I've turned off the battery saving, turned on sync, allowed notifications whenever it wants and still nothing.
I was having a similar issue on my iPhone 7, although it didn't seem to be affecting any of my friends. However, over the weekend, there was an update to the app which finally seems to have fixed the issue! With any luck, there is a similar Android which fixes the issue for you too.

Best,
JK
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:37 am

check if there is aan option to allow notifications on lock screen. This is what fixed it for me on my Xiaomi
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by JK
I was having a similar issue on my iPhone 7, although it didn't seem to be affecting any of my friends. However, over the weekend, there was an update to the app which finally seems to have fixed the issue! With any luck, there is a similar Android which fixes the issue for you too.

Best,
JK
Thanks I'll look out for the update.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timesnaps
check if there is aan option to allow notifications on lock screen. This is what fixed it for me on my Xiaomi
Sadly that's already been allowed but thanks for the suggestion. It's frustrating because BBM didn't suffer from this and also gave you a time the message was read. However all of the people I used to message on there moved over to Whatsapp hence why I had to.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Oct 23, 2017 at 5:41 am
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Has the app service temporarily stopped working? There seems to be a widespread outage of the service — a day or so after the 7-minute window for message removal feature was added.

Update: seems like there was a widespread outage but service is being quickly restored and is almost entirely back online.

The reports of the outage are just another sign of how widely useful this app has been to so many.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 3, 2017 at 3:08 am
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've been chatting off and on this morning here in Europe. No problems noticed. Sometimes these global services are regionally affected.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:19 am

Never had this issue on multiple android devices. You probably did this already but just in case - Under "Sound and Notification" in settings, there is an uption for "When device is locked", verify that this is set to "on". Also under whatsapp settings itself there are settings for notification. You can verify those as well.
Sadly that's already been allowed but thanks for the suggestion. It's frustrating because BBM didn't suffer from this and also gave you a time the message was read. However all of the people I used to message on there moved over to Whatsapp hence why I had to.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Why doesn't whatsapp support auto-play animated gifs? It kinda ruins the whole point of animated gifs...
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Privacy issues - but one way calling can work

Some posters earlier discussed the privacy issue. It is a big issue for me and I am not willing to let them upload all my contacts - there are privacy issues and I have no consent from each of them to disclose the material.

However if you download the app and refuse to upload your contacts WA is useable on your phone to receive calls from others on WA. They can dial into your phone using WA and it will connect to you. So they can have the benefits of end-to-end encryption if they want to call you.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrcamp
Never had this issue on multiple android devices. You probably did this already but just in case - Under "Sound and Notification" in settings, there is an uption for "When device is locked", verify that this is set to "on". Also under whatsapp settings itself there are settings for notification. You can verify those as well.
Yep checked that and they're all set but thanks for the suggestions. It's now not happening everywhere & everytime but often does when I really don't want it to.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
I've been chatting off and on this morning here in Europe. No problems noticed. Sometimes these global services are regionally affected.
WhatsApp today released a brief statement, confirming the outage's global scale after the situation was resolved.

"Earlier today, WhatsApp users globally had trouble accessing the app for about an hour. This issue has been fixed and we apologize for the inconvenience," a spokesperson said.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/whatsapp-...155641953.html
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:39 pm

Whatsapps can now recall a message within 7 minutes after it's sent. Great feature!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.