Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 6:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JK
I accept that the desktop app is likely to be a little more stable than the web app - no disagreement there. That said, I've barely had any issues with the web app (in Chrome)...

Re notifications on the desktop app - I haven't seen any (Windows PC)!? Went through all the menus to see if there was a setting, but nadda. I get a sound, but that's it. The icon doesn't change colour, or flash, nor do I get a pop-up... With the web app, you get the sound and the little toast pop-up in the corner, so I can glance at the message and decide whether I need to check it or not. Critical for me!
I'm using the MacOS version right now. Under WhatsApp, I hit Preferences and then can turn on or off Notifications for Sounds, Desktop Alerts, and Show Previews (Display message text in desktop alerts).
Old May 16, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Desktop app does have notifications of sorts.

Isn't one of the benefits of the desktop app over the browser use is that you can read your whatsapp messages offline on your computer as long as you've left the application open after doing the phone app QR scan thing?

I find that sometimes internet browsers stall/crash in ways that don't happen with downloaded messaging applications. That may be an upside of using the desktop application, but I'm not sure about this part of it yet.
If that's the only benefit the desktop offers, seems not yet worth downloading desktop app when browser works just fine. I do browser whenever at work so I'm not constantly picking up my phone, but whenever my phone dies or goes caput, it'd be nice to have a replacement to use on my computer a la Telegram, Facebook messenger, Hangouts, etc.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I finally had time to try out the app and it is very useful when it comes to having a full keyboard to type out messages. It would be nice to have the phone feature too so I could use the speakers and mike on my Mac, but that's not a big deal.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well now WhatsApp is going to serve "relevant" ads and share you phone numbers with FB.

Existing owners can opt out but the default is to opt in.

Facebook has given them reasons to change policy, billions of them.

So why not go full in and integrate to Messenger, which is suppose to get end to end encryption too?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Zuckenberg/idiotbook in "untrustworthy" shocker. Didn't see that coming at all, no sirree. I don't do faceache so I am hoping that this will have minimal effect on me. If not the account can get deleted which would be rather tedious.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I don't have a FB account this doesn't matter to me, right?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
No but you get the "benefits" of a FB account.

They know your phone number, name and location.

So you get the FB ads you would get if you had a FB account.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
If I don't have a FB account this doesn't matter to me, right?
Perhaps, perhaps not. It is likely that Facebook already has a profile on you. When one person installs the Facebook App on their phone, and gives the app access to their contact list, Facebook downloads that information. The mobile phone number and name of each contact, together with any peripheral information like birthdays, can be linked together and compared with other people who have the same contact.

By collecting this information from billions of people, a largely complete social graph can be constructed identifying each person and his or her friends. With access to WhatsApp, the process can be extended further.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
Perhaps, perhaps not. It is likely that Facebook already has a profile on you. When one person installs the Facebook App on their phone, and gives the app access to their contact list, Facebook downloads that information. The mobile phone number and name of each contact, together with any peripheral information like birthdays, can be linked together and compared with other people who have the same contact.

By collecting this information from billions of people, a largely complete social graph can be constructed identifying each person and his or her friends. With access to WhatsApp, the process can be extended further.
Yes I get Big Data. But as long as I don't receive any more emails or un-called for What's app messages, I really don't care.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I get Big Data. But as long as I don't receive any more emails or un-called for What's app messages, I really don't care.
My worry is that they are far more subtle than that. If I was idiotbook the last thing I would do is emails or whatsapp messages because that part is obviouly based on the phone number harvest they are about to embark upon. I am thinking that they will be more subtle in the ways that they are going to use the info they have about you.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
My worry is that they are far more subtle than that. If I was idiotbook the last thing I would do is emails or whatsapp messages because that part is obviouly based on the phone number harvest they are about to embark upon. I am thinking that they will be more subtle in the ways that they are going to use the info they have about you.
Yes and they can do so much more than that. But again, I don't care. I don't participate in FB so they, and Google, can collect all the data about me they want. It doesn't bother me as long as I'm not bothered by unwanted messages.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
FWIW, I was able to go int Settings->Account and uncheck the "Share my data" box. I was warned that I would nt be able to undo the decision. That's fine with me! This took all of 10 seconds.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
FWIW, I was able to go int Settings->Account and uncheck the "Share my data" box. I was warned that I would nt be able to undo the decision. That's fine with me! This took all of 10 seconds.
I don't see the "share my data" checkbox in Whatsapp settings. Does that mean its too late for me, or I just haven't been "upgraded" to the new version yet?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
I don't see the "share my data" checkbox in Whatsapp settings. Does that mean its too late for me, or I just haven't been "upgraded" to the new version yet?
I Just got it this morning on my Android. Wife has not got it on her iphone 5s, daughter got it yesterday on her iphone 6 (if the model makes any difference). The app itself did not update but I got a splash screen saying the terms they were a changing.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:50 am

Yes and they can do so much more than that. But again, I don't care. I don't participate in FB so they, and Google, can collect all the data about me they want.
Not just google or FB, everyone does it in some form or fashion. Ever find you shop or browse for something or some place (eg Trip Advisor) and next thing you see is an advertisement for same or similar item on FT? Happens to me all the time.

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
They allowed you to opt out until August 25 or 26. Strange as I was able to turn off share with FB on my 5s but an hour later when I went to do same for Mrs., option no longer there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.