Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potentially big change to T-Mobile's Unlimited International Data Plan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Potentially big change to T-Mobile's Unlimited International Data Plan

I just received my new T-mobile bill and got charged over $100 for data roaming charges on my BlackBerry Curve 8900.

I am subscribed to T-Mobile's international unlimited data service. I have traveled extensively with my BlackBerry pearl for the last 2 years. I have never been charged data roaming charges (internet or e-mail) while traveling.

For the first time my bill shows 'Internet Access' sporadically where it usually it only shows 'RIM Blackberry'. One was charged at .15/kb the other was not.

Is this a new change for T-mobile for March 2009? Is it because I got a BlackBerry Curve 8900 over a Pearl?

Any thoughts? Has anyone had any similar experiences?

This was a big reason why I was with T-mobile...and I will probably move away from them because of this.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This isn't a change, it is T-Mobile fixing their glitch...

The plan was never called "unlimited international data", it was called "BlackBerry Unlimited International E-mail".

For years email and Internet data were billed the same - I guess they finally found a way to extract the right information to bill people.

Thanks for the warning though, I'm sure a lot of us relied on that plan for free international access to any data...

And why move away from them because of this? Good luck finding a similar plan elsewhere

AT&T is $24.95 for 20MB...
Old Apr 9, 2009, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Now I really have to get the UMA issues with my curve 8900 worked out as I'll be relying on it to avoid any charges when I travel.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
Which countries?

I wasn't charged for data use while roaming in Switzerland and Germany in early March.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:34 am

Programs: BA GfL
Got a hefty charge in Thailand but not Singapore, Hong Kong and China.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by entrada
I wasn't charged for data use while roaming in Switzerland and Germany in early March.
I was in Switzerland late last year. The charges take a few weeks to show up.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:04 am

Every few months when I go overseas, would call TMO to add the international data plan.... everytime I do this, CS specifically tells me email is unlimited but be careful about surfing internet, etc. as this is not covered and will be billed separately. They also advise to turn off voicemail as each one of these are billed at $1.49.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:20 am

Does it matter how your data is going through the system. Obviously connections to tcp data are going to be charged, but what about data using the BIS or BES connections?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
Every few months when I go overseas, would call TMO to add the international data plan.... everytime I do this, CS specifically tells me email is unlimited but be careful about surfing internet, etc. as this is not covered and will be billed separately. They also advise to turn off voicemail as each one of these are billed at $1.49.
Turn "off" voicemail? Receipt of a voicemail costs money?

I usually forward the calls to voice mail and then use the phone to notify me when there is a message (which I then access using a local sim or calling card) - will this not work with the BB?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:55 am

From the discussion below, they have fixed their system now and have started to charge correctly.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...6&page=1&pp=30
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Turn "off" voicemail? Receipt of a voicemail costs money?

I usually forward the calls to voice mail and then use the phone to notify me when there is a message (which I then access using a local sim or calling card) - will this not work with the BB?
If the phone rings before the call is forwarded, you're charged for the incoming call.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbreuer
If the phone rings before the call is forwarded, you're charged for the incoming call.
Right, which is why I forward all calls direct to voice mail but that warning looked like it was receipt of voice mail, NOT a phone call which incurred a fee.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by mrcamp
From the discussion below, they have fixed their system now and have started to charge correctly.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...6&page=1&pp=30
Good catch and here is the specific post on that thread which clearly explains how they fixed it:
http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...1&postcount=32

Originally Posted by mbreuer
Yes, I think that's what TMO CS was trying to explain to me
Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:27 am

Every few months when I go overseas, would call TMO to add the international data plan
Yep, me too.

.... everytime I do this, CS specifically tells me email is unlimited but be careful about surfing internet, etc. as this is not covered and will be billed separately.
Dozens of trips abroad and they never gave me such a warning and I never saw a charge on my bill (then again, very rarely surfed internet using BB). Most recent trip, they gave me this warning. For me, it was email only, thank you very much. Stuck to web surfing on a laptop via WiFi.

I guess I better reconsider that unlocked iPhone using a T-Mobile SIM to surf away while abroad.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Yep, me too.

I guess I better reconsider that unlocked iPhone using a T-Mobile SIM to surf away while abroad.
Personally I'd seldom surf internet or check google with my BB 8820 when abroad and just to make sure would hide these apps/icons.

I am curious about how you can surf with unlocked iPhone using TMO sim when overseas - don't you mean using wifi? And if so, you don't need sim card to do that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.