Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Netbook for travel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP since inception
Originally Posted by PTravel
These netbooks are a really interesting development ... more and more people are finding them to be more than enough for casual use, particularly when traveling
I now have one in my living room for things like spontaneous google searches during contentious rounds of game playing, allowing visitors a convenient way for them to check their e-mail, effective way to pull up recipe searches while making dinner, etc. Really comes in handy for things that require more than my iPhone, but less than a full desktop.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:43 am

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Bang on. I still prefer to bring my X61 on trips over the PC1000. Ultraportables are also light years ahead of standard 14-15" notebooks.
I pulled the trigger on a used X60s off craigslist today for $400. Basically the same spec as my new work issue T61 and 2.5lbs lighter. Came with a 4 and 8 cell battery and 1 year of warranty left. Now I need to find a reasonably priced lightweight bag that will carry more than just the X60.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
Any opinions on the Dell 9" mini-inspiron? Looks like those can be had refurb for a very decent price.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I bought a Samsung NC-10 in January -- which I really like. However, it lasted about a week before the hard drive started sprouting bad blocks. I had to send it in for warranty repair, it returns tomorrow.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I just got back from HKG with my Lenovo S10. It travels wonderfully.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by 7Continents
I jumped on the MSI Wind U-120. Its the newest model, has 802.11 n,b,g and bluetooth. Price just dropped to $399 with an additional $20 rebate.
For those contemplating the Wind, ZipZoomfly currently has it for $330 + shipping. I was sorely tempted, but have opted to put in a preorder with Amazon for the ASUS Eee PC 1000HE.

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Most if not all models come with only 1GB DRAM. Can you add 1 more GB (slot avail)?
The way I understand it, if you want to upgrade the memory on the ASUS you replace the 1GB with a 2 GB module.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP since inception
Originally Posted by opus17
I bought a Samsung NC-10 in January -- which I really like.
+1. Sitting next to my Samsung flat screen TV, which I also really nice. They make some nice stuff.

Originally Posted by opus17
However, it lasted about a week before the hard drive started sprouting bad blocks. I had to send it in for warranty repair, it returns tomorrow.
Yikes! That's disappointing. No sign of that from mine yet (bought in in Dec).
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by yogi4582
+1. Sitting next to my Samsung flat screen TV, which I also really nice. They make some nice stuff.

Yikes! That's disappointing. No sign of that from mine yet (bought in in Dec).
I think it is a general problem with infant mortality on SATA drives.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Instead of dumping money on portable DVD players, I've thought about sending Mrs. Swede and the kids off with a netbook for watching movies on the plane. I have about 30 movies on a portable USB hard drive.

Has anyone have a similar setup for watching movies? What kind of battery life do you get out of it?
I have an Acer Aspire One with 6-cell battery (love it), and use a portable hard drive (Toshiba 320GB) to watch movies on the plane.

The 6-cell normally gets 5-6 hours but since the external hard drive is powered off of the USB port, the useable time is just about cut in half to between 2 and 3 hours.

For that reason, I carry a Lenmar Universal Notebook battery pack.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I pulled the trigger on a used X60s off craigslist today for $400. Basically the same spec as my new work issue T61 and 2.5lbs lighter. Came with a 4 and 8 cell battery and 1 year of warranty left. Now I need to find a reasonably priced lightweight bag that will carry more than just the X60.
$400 is a pretty good deal. A new 8 cell battery would have been 50% of cost!

Originally Posted by Rampo
The way I understand it, if you want to upgrade the memory on the ASUS you replace the 1GB with a 2 GB module.
Yup. And the ASUS is one of the easiest to install a new HDD or memory module. Just pop off the bottom plastic shield and voila!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I'm typing this from a Lenovo S10. I've bumped it up to 2GB of RAM total (.5GB onboard, 2GB chip, but total is 2.0GB addressable). I've also bumped it up from 160GB to 500GB. So... who needs a DVD? I can load as many DVD's as I want on it, via the Ethernet port (or Wifi if I'm lazy).

I'm quite pleased with it. Only things I'd change would be to make it 1024x768 instead if 1024x600, and I'd up the run time which is at 3 hours right now.

It plays "DVD's" from the hard drive just fine.

HTSC
Old Feb 8, 2009, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swei0009
Any opinions on the Dell 9" mini-inspiron? Looks like those can be had refurb for a very decent price.
Fairly boring machine - and no HDD option. Some people prefer SSD drives, but the limited storage space makes them pretty useless for movies and music.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Scott, are you seeking/getting/interested in a Eee PC 1000HE for reviewing on your blog?

From that source, the linked articles showed the case is essentially the same, aside from the bottom now being flat, and the higher capacity battery.

It will be fun to see what becomes available from the respective vendors, especially if the new versions have a better battery life and potentially faster/bumped resolution graphics.

All for the purpose of better movie watching while traveling.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:26 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Originally Posted by Rampo
For those contemplating the Wind, ZipZoomfly currently has it for $330 + shipping. I was sorely tempted, but have opted to put in a preorder with Amazon for the ASUS Eee PC 1000HE.

Just a point of info, not slamming another post..... The $330 deal above is one model lower then my post, it does not come with 302.11n or bluetooth. My deal adds $49 and the hassle of a $20 rebate if the newer networking and bluetooth means something to you.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
I have an Acer Aspire One that I've been using the last 3 months or so. I love this thing. It has a 160 gb drive, instead of an SSD, and gets 5 hours to a charge. I also have a Sony Vaio SZ440, which is a terrific, powerful notebook and I use that as my daily computer -- it's a full desktop replacement and only weighs 4 pounds. However, now I take my Acer for travel instead of the Vaio. The Acer is a bit more rugged, weighs only 2 pounds or so, and is considerably smaller. I got a small USB BlueTooth adapter that I leave in one of the USB ports all the time, letting me use the Acer with a BlueTooth mouse. The smaller keyboard doesn't bother me, and the screen size is fine.

These netbooks are a really interesting development -- a step backward in power consumption, CPU power and hard-drive size, yet more and more people are finding them to be more than enough for casual use, particularly when traveling. Buy.com has that Acer Aspire One on sale this week for $329 with free shipping -- if I had some extra money, I'd pick up a second one just as backup.
I'm in a similar situation with the same basic set-up on my Aspire.

One aspect some might find worth considering, and key in my decision to get an Acer, is the issue of security. I take frequent relatively short trips to what are considered dicey areas with a lot of theft, robbery, etc. When I used to carry my laptop, I had a significant concern about losing not just the material I was working on, but everything in the HD- both personal and professional.

While I used good personal and tech security, the loss of the laptop would be devastating and I did not like taking into every pit stop restroom, restaurant, etc. With the Acer, I only load it with what I need on my short trips along with generally non-sensitive apps for e-mail, etc. A few things I put on a thumb drive which is easy to secure on my person.

I now feel a lot more relaxed knowing that anyone who takes the netbook will not get much of value (other than the computer itself).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.