Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How do I stop ads from appearing on websites ?

Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)

Hi

a few months ago I saw a posting that showed how to block all the ads that show up on websites like doubleclick etc

it was a long list that you put in some registry on your computer ,

Anyone know how to do it , or even a website that has the list

Thanks

Rally
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:36 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
HostsXpert will "automate" the process for you.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I know a lot of people who swear by ....... Plus extension in Firefox. http://adblockplus.org/en/

Personally I just put up with the ads as I realize that the companies are try to just make a dime and occasionally I see something that interests me.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by adambadam
I know a lot of people who swear by ....... Plus extension in Firefox. http://adblockplus.org/en/

Personally I just put up with the ads as I realize that the companies are try to just make a dime and occasionally I see something that interests me.
I just installed this add-on and it works like a charm.

FT loads in a jiffy now, vs. slowing down the darn page when it loads.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A very nice suggestion. I also add the latest versions of the Flashblock and Flash Killer add-ons.

MisterNice
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by ScottC
Agreed. That is a very simple and free method which works quite well.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
Thanks for the info,

this is for my Dell mini with VERY low memory , so the less it uses on Ads the better,

Rally
Old Feb 2, 2009, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MisterNice
A very nice suggestion. I also add the latest versions of the Flashblock and Flash Killer add-ons.

MisterNice
Yes. The web is so much faster with AdBlockPlus. The advertisers have shot themselves in the foot by making their ads such a burden.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 1:23 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yes. The web is so much faster with AdBlockPlus. The advertisers have shot themselves in the foot by making their ads such a burden.
Good point. If they were relatively innocuous there wouldn't be so much (successful) effort at suppressing them. Some would want them gone, on principle, but many wouldn't care if they were not annoying and performance-penalizing.

Cheers.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The most recent versions of Flash-based ads seem to be the biggest culprits in terms of slowing systems down. Those ads really seem to trash a system when they load up.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Yes I noticed a major slowdown in FT pages (amongst other sites) loading within the last month or so. It got to a point where I didn't want to wait that long for the page to load and just gave up trying.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
So, you're one of THOSE people...

When telemarketers call, you patiently listen to their entire pitch, even if it interrupts your dinner with family?

You open and thoroughly read all your "junk" mail, and occasionally reply, asking for more info?

When the Jehovah's Witnesses ring your bell, you open the door and discuss the fate of your eternal soul with them?

I have always heard that telemarketers get about a 2% response rate. I gues you're one of the 2%. Congrats!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Good point. If they were relatively innocuous there wouldn't be so much (successful) effort at suppressing them. Some would want them gone, on principle, but many wouldn't care if they were not annoying and performance-penalizing.

Cheers.
Exactly. I never used to care about ads until they started the pop-up garbage. That's what prompted me to get rid of the ones I can.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by yyznomad
.....FT loads in a jiffy now, vs. slowing down the darn page when it loads.
I enjoy FT and get some VERY valuable tips from the many varied sources (human and stickys). The one thing I do not have is lots of ads appearing. I decided some time ago that paying $12 per year was a reasonable fee for the service - particularly as this got me advert free pages as a bonus. Can I commend it as a reasonable option to consider. If we dont support it, we might lose it!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/claim_subscription.php
[here endeth the sermon]
Regards
antichef

.... usual commercial disclaimer etc, I'm just a happy subscriber

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.