Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

connecting a wireless router to your hotel ethernet connection

connecting a wireless router to your hotel ethernet connection

Old Dec 12, 2008, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I carry the small Linksys router and it connects fine 98% of the time. I also tote a 20 ft ethernet cable for the remaining 2%. I prefer an easy chair to the mostly crappy hotel desk chairs.

MisterNice
Old Dec 12, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
The switch on the bottom of the D-link router has three positions: router, access point, and client.

You want router or access point. Frankly, I don't understand the difference, and I've had to switch between them at various locations to get it to work.

Last edited by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime; Dec 12, 2008 at 2:17 pm Reason: Clarification.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
Platcomike has the Linksys WTR54GS, it has the slideout power prongs, so it does not need an external power supply.

It does not have any external switches, everything is set from the web menu.

Here is a link to a picture of it:

http://images.digitalmedianet.com/20...sys_2_shot.jpg
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Now that I have your attention:

I have never been able to use my Dlink pocket router on the ADSL internet connection in my brother's apt in BKK. Anyone else have experience setting up a mini wifi net in BKK?

Jim
Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:26 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by jimquan
Now that I have your attention:

I have never been able to use my Dlink pocket router on the ADSL internet connection in my brother's apt in BKK. Anyone else have experience setting up a mini wifi net in BKK?

Jim
I've had no problems using mine in the Westin in BKK.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Can anyone help me please. I have an airport express set up as a bridge. But each new device (after the first) that I want to connect to it seems to require a fresh hotel charge. I assume that I need to connect to the internet and pay for it using my Macbook and then change the airport express's MAC address to that of the Macbook? Is that the way and if it is how, please, beacause I can't find it in the airport utility anywhere, can I change the airport express's MAC address.

I am a new-ish Mac user so if this question is very newbie-ish I apologise.

Very many thanks
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Originally Posted by hsmall
Can anyone help me please. I have an airport express set up as a bridge. But each new device (after the first) that I want to connect to it seems to require a fresh hotel charge. I assume that I need to connect to the internet and pay for it using my Macbook and then change the airport express's MAC address to that of the Macbook? Is that the way and if it is how, please, beacause I can't find it in the airport utility anywhere, can I change the airport express's MAC address.

I am a new-ish Mac user so if this question is very newbie-ish I apologise.

Very many thanks
I am a pc guy, so take this with a grain of salt. I don't think you want to set this up as a bridge, but as a router. The router will send one MAC address to your hotel ISP, and thus only one charge. Then it will do NAT (network address translation) to connect itself to whatever wireless devices you wish to use with that one connection. For instance, right now mine is serving my netbook, my son's dell laptop and my daughter's MacBook Pro-all from one connection and one charge.

I *believe* that the bridge just acts as a traffic cop between the peripheral devices and the ISP. But the ISP sees all the devices, thus the multiple charges.

Does the Airport have additional settings other than bridge you can use?
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcherney
I *believe* that the bridge just acts as a traffic cop between the peripheral devices and the ISP. But the ISP sees all the devices, thus the multiple charges.
Correct. By definition, a network bridge connects two separate networks so devices on either network can access either network transparently. In other words, it acts as a bridge between two networks.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by jcherney
There is a switch on the bottom that changes the type of connection you're trying to achieve. Did you have the switch in the correct setting?
Yup, I even tried using D Link's tech support. They couldn't figure it out either. If I remember correctly, they tried to blame the hotel's network. When I tried the replacement Linksys router, there were no issues.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Correct. By definition, a network bridge connects two separate networks so devices on either network can access either network transparently. In other words, it acts as a bridge between two networks.
Thanks. I was relying on this, which just shows you can't trust everything you read on the Internet .

I tried every other configuration of the airport express I possibly could but no way could I get my MacBook to see the internet unless I set it to be a bridge (the other option at that stage was to share a piublic IP address or act as a bridge).
Old Dec 28, 2008, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks. I was relying on this, which just shows you can't trust everything you read on the Internet .

I tried every other configuration of the airport express I possibly could but no way could I get my MacBook to see the internet unless I set it to be a bridge (the other option at that stage was to share a piublic IP address or act as a bridge).
You would want the "share" option as that that makes it do the NAT and allow multiple devices to share the one IP address (and access charge) of the hotel.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
You would want the "share" option as that that makes it do the NAT and allow multiple devices to share the one IP address (and access charge) of the hotel.
And when I set it that way it refuses an internet connection, which makes me wonder whether, as has been suggested elsewhere, the hotel's system is trained to recognise the MAC address as belonging to an Airport Express and declines a connection?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 4:16 am

I have a tiny little Belkin travel router (about 6 cm x 6 cm and weighs pratically nothing) that can be powered from the mains or USB. It's easy to set up, and very handy.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I got back from Mexico where I used the Dlink router for the first time (thankyou for that suggestion.) And it worked a treat. Two people in the room could use the Internet connection, both wirelessly. It didn't help the sloooooooow transfer rate though
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:55 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
And when I set it that way it refuses an internet connection, which makes me wonder whether, as has been suggested elsewhere, the hotel's system is trained to recognise the MAC address as belonging to an Airport Express and declines a connection?
I think what is special about the D-Link which I didn't see in my Airports (not express, but the round big ones) is that it will clone the MAC of another machine and use it instead of its own MAC address.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.