Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggest a webcam for a traveler

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Suggest a webcam for a traveler

I'm looking for a webcam to use with my laptop when I travel (Skype, etc). I'm looking for something that has a reasonable price, decent quality (maybe slightly better than average) and is easy to travel with.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 1:32 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
webcam

just recently got a couple of Microsoft LifeCam NX-3000 for self and a colleague to use when travelling, as we skype each other and our homes a lot.

excellent image quality, built in mic. very small and easily packable and comes with little neoprene pouch.

got them in PC World in uk at £29. very happy with them.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 5:06 pm

Logitech Quickcam Pro for Notebooks. I have one, it's small, comes with a little carrying case and is really high quality with a Carl Zeiss lens. I got mine for about $50 on ebay in an OEM version, that didn't include the stand or the CD (you download the software yourself.) The logitech software has face-tracking and all sorts of automatic and manual adjustments and it has a built in mic.

Amazon has a lower end version for $19.99 after rebate, but I don't know anything about it. The feature set looks decent and it has a no-name glass lens. It might be the predecessor to the "pro" version. Most likely, it uses the same software set. It may be worth a shot, since you can probably return it if you don't like it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rd_i=384082011

Or you can get a netbook with a built-in webcam for travel.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 29, 2008 at 5:14 pm
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Logitech Quickcam Pro for Notebooks. I have one, it's small, comes with a little carrying case and is really high quality with a Carl Zeiss lens. I got mine for about $50 on ebay in an OEM version, that didn't include the stand or the CD (you download the software yourself.) The logitech software has face-tracking and all sorts of automatic and manual adjustments and it has a built in mic.

Amazon has a lower end version for $19.99 after rebate, but I don't know anything about it. The feature set looks decent and it has a no-name glass lens. It might be the predecessor to the "pro" version. Most likely, it uses the same software set. It may be worth a shot, since you can probably return it if you don't like it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rd_i=384082011

Or you can get a netbook with a built-in webcam for travel.

-David
+1 on the Logitech Quickcam Pro ... and for all the same reasons, size, quality and price. Just got mine in October for Skype use. Got one for Mrs.T49, too.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold CRC, Avis First
Originally Posted by Teacher49
+1 on the Logitech Quickcam Pro ... and for all the same reasons, size, quality and price. Just got mine in October for Skype use. Got one for Mrs.T49, too.
The newer Logitech's work very well as has been recommended. Even the cheaper ones from Logitech and others are far superior to most of the webcams of a few years ago. Also, in prior years webcams with CMOS image chips were of poor grainy quality. However, CMOS image chips in many cases have exceeded the quality of CCD chips, so don't be worried that a webcam uses CMOS technology unless it is a very cheap one.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Woot today has two Philips webcams for about $18 with shipping.

www.woot.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.