FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Anyone using a SlingBox? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/883041-anyone-using-slingbox.html)

griffinj Oct 29, 2008 9:08 pm

Anyone using a SlingBox?

If so, what are your thoughts? Is it worth getting one so that I can watch my Tivo from on the road?

ScottC Oct 29, 2008 9:52 pm

Yes, yes and yes.

Without a doubt the best product there is for people who are often stuck on the road.

adambadam Oct 29, 2008 9:56 pm

Its decent. I got it a couple years back and not much has changed or improved software-wise. My connection at home has gotten a little better so the picture is decent on the road, about 400kbps, though that is the weakest factor. I am not a videophile though when it gets choppy and grainy I would rather just wait until I get home and watch Sports Center in the mean time. All-in-all it is easy to set up and there is almost no configuration involved. With that said, there was no such thing as Hulu back when I bought it and I find that it is a much crisper picture on Hulu or any of the other sites put out by the networks, though that usually forces you to have to wait a day to watch depending on where you are.

ScottC Oct 29, 2008 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by adambadam (Post 10599810)
Its decent. I got it a couple years back and not much has changed or improved software-wise.

You really should install the newest software, it isn't anything like the previous generation client.

wdwright Oct 29, 2008 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC (Post 10599792)
Yes, yes and yes.

Without a doubt the best product there is for people who are often stuck on the road.

Likewise for me. Watch TV on both my AT&T 8525 and my laptop.

#10 Oct 29, 2008 11:25 pm

+ 1 .

dbuckho Oct 30, 2008 12:30 am

Have had one since the spring - works well - glad I have it. When traveling, do not watch full recorded shows that often, but was nice to be able to connect back to my DirecTV for live events like the debates while traveling in Europe this summer or Sunday NFL ticket from South America the past few weeks.

mjm Oct 30, 2008 3:05 am

OP: What Scott said in his initial post Twelve thumbs up!

Scott: The new install went well on the remote PC and is waaaaay smoother. But it consistently asks me to set up the box with an update that appears to require settings I may not have. How is that box side install? Painless and if so what info will it ask for so I can procure it? I have all the IP and port info, master password etc., but no serial numbers etc.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by ScottC (Post 10599820)
You really should install the newest software, it isn't anything like the previous generation client.

Kinsale Oct 30, 2008 3:19 am

Another big approval here. Have used it a few times while travelling in Europe to catch up with my tivo shows. Watched the Oscars live while in Germany. My son uses it from work to catch the Saturday football games. I can always tell when he's on the slingbox because my channels start flipping by themselves. We've been known to have a few channel wars. I only have the basic setup and it works fine for us. Will look into software updates. Thanks.

Kgmm77 Oct 30, 2008 4:10 am

I've had one for a few years now.

It can be quite a pain to set up depending on your home network set-up, but once it works its great.

Only real constraint is your upstream speed from where the Sling is and the downstream speed from where you're watching. Obviously the higher the better, particularly if you like to watch sports.

Also works very well in the LAN environment.

AADJ Oct 30, 2008 7:13 am

Anyone use TIVO 2 Go? I have been using it to watch shows on my laptop, PDA and media player a lot. It is free and pretty easy. It downloads as a *.tivo file and there is a program that will convert it to an .mpg file to load on whatever you want. Granted you can't do live but you can watch recorded shows in the air. Great for irrops.

cme2c Oct 30, 2008 7:24 am

The only thing missing with the Slingbox is the Blackberry client. The beta is coming out soon, but hurry up already. I used to have a Pocket PC, and I am in total withdrawal.

Kgmm77 Oct 30, 2008 7:36 am

Originally Posted by cme2c (Post 10601127)
The only thing missing with the Slingbox is the Blackberry client. The beta is coming out soon, but hurry up already. I used to have a Pocket PC, and I am in total withdrawal.

Ditto with the iPhone. Would settle for a Wifi only client, as we don't have unlimited data in Ireland.

rolov Oct 30, 2008 7:38 am

I love my slingbox , I have been using it for over 3 years and IM looking to upgrade to the HD slingbox.
I have watched sporting events live from all over the wolrd , and it has gotten me through many hours of being stuck at airports.

sbm12 Oct 30, 2008 8:17 am

For folks with a SlingBox, TiVo and NetFlix, life should get much more interesting in the coming months. Streaming from NetFlix to your TiVo to the SlingBox to the remote viewer. Mmmmm...bandwidth.