Anyone using a SlingBox?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone using a SlingBox?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yeah, it isn't and HD stream at all, that would require more like truly 2-3MB to be a true protocol of HD, but the HD Slingbox, will STREAM and HD signal to slingplayer 2.0 solid at 700kps, but below it will ratchet down to VGA or XGA. But, at 700kps it will either slingstream or can be set to stream the HD signal and it will remain solid.

And it looks about 200% better than the VGA stream at the same speed.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I know tv is a no-no on flights. But, since slingbox is 'streaming media', is it 'legal' to use on a flight that supplies wi-fi capability?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I know tv is a no-no on flights. But, since slingbox is 'streaming media', is it 'legal' to use on a flight that supplies wi-fi capability?
I don't see why not, assuming the wifi connection is good enough to support the SlingBox stream.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Today (June 24) only:

Slingbox Solo (recertified) from woot.com -- $99 + $5 shipping
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:23 am

I guess we should also note that SM themselves are selling the great product slingcatcher now for 129$?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Slingbox, but hope that FTers with experience can give me guidance.
  1. I have standard analoge cable just via the coaxial cable. It comes with my internet connection, and works just great. I don't really need the slingbox near the TV as it doesn't have a cable box, so can I just install the Slingbox in my office near the cable modem? (FYI... my upload tests as speedtest.net consistently run 13Mbps, so should not have issues there.)
  2. Since the current setup is a coaxial cable, do I have to get a Slingbox Pro-HD (just because is has coax inputs) or is there a way to hook the Solo up to a coax cable?
  3. The laptop is only about 3-months old so no issues there.
  4. Obviously will be using this on the road (otherwise, why bother,) but would also like to use it at my house in AZ. Don't really want the expense of a Slingcatcher there if it is not necessary; is there a way to hook the laptop VGA to an old TV I have there?
  5. Is the download speed as important as the upload speed? The DSL in AZ only runs 1-2Mbps, so not the greatest in the world.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:55 am

1. If all you have in analgoeu, I would still go with the ProHD since with IT you could attach a simple smaller desktop HDTV antennae and get full HD broadcasts. It has inputs for both, cable and off air ATSC feeds. The quality is EXCELLENT, I use a small desktop antennae on mine.

2. You don't HAVE to, but see post one.
4. Laptop VGA out to tv can be done, to composite in, or dvi, or HDMI (the latter two an "older tv" won't have. quality will suffer. But, a catcher could be in your future, it really enhances the experience, remote control, speed, not having to have the pc connected all the time.
5. you will only get DL what you have UPLOAD at the location with the slingbox, so if you only have 256up, you'll only get 256 max down.

pm me for a deal on the prohd, there is a pretty good deal going on now, with a coupon of course.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Slingbox, but hope that FTers with experience can give me guidance.

[*]I have standard analoge cable just via the coaxial cable. It comes with my internet connection, and works just great. I don't really need the slingbox near the TV as it doesn't have a cable box, so can I just install the Slingbox in my office near the cable modem? (FYI... my upload tests as speedtest.net consistently run 13Mbps, so should not have issues there.)
Yes. The Slingbox has a cable input and built-in tuner.

[*]Since the current setup is a coaxial cable, do I have to get a Slingbox Pro-HD (just because is has coax inputs) or is there a way to hook the Solo up to a coax cable?
I don't know.

[*]The laptop is only about 3-months old so no issues there.[*]Obviously will be using this on the road (otherwise, why bother,) but would also like to use it at my house in AZ. Don't really want the expense of a Slingcatcher there if it is not necessary; is there a way to hook the laptop VGA to an old TV I have there?
Yes, but the results won't be good. There are VGA-to-NTSC adapters around, but they don't do a particularly good job. I've heard rumors of a PC Express to HDMI adapter but I haven't found one yet and, in any event, it won't work with your old television.

[*]Is the download speed as important as the upload speed? The DSL in AZ only runs 1-2Mbps, so not the greatest in the world.
In what context? When you're viewing the Slingbox remotely, UPLOAD speed is critical (and I think you've got them reversed -- your upload speed is probably the lower number, and your download the higher.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
  1. I have standard analoge cable just via the coaxial cable. It comes with my internet connection, and works just great. I don't really need the slingbox near the TV as it doesn't have a cable box, so can I just install the Slingbox in my office near the cable modem? (FYI... my upload tests as speedtest.net consistently run 13Mbps, so should not have issues there.)
  2. Since the current setup is a coaxial cable, do I have to get a Slingbox Pro-HD (just because is has coax inputs) or is there a way to hook the Solo up to a coax cable?
  3. The laptop is only about 3-months old so no issues there.
  4. Obviously will be using this on the road (otherwise, why bother,) but would also like to use it at my house in AZ. Don't really want the expense of a Slingcatcher there if it is not necessary; is there a way to hook the laptop VGA to an old TV I have there?
  5. Is the download speed as important as the upload speed? The DSL in AZ only runs 1-2Mbps, so not the greatest in the world.
Sorry. Actually, AZ is 1-2 DOWN and NM is 2-4 UP.

Has anyone had experience with locations with slow(er) download speeds?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Anyone find that some hotel connections have poor downloads? Even downloading podcasts can be slow.

Seems it would make more sense for people traveling on business, having nice business hotel rooms paid for, then leisure travel.

Besides which you'd want to do something else than watching a lot of TV from back home on a laptop screen.

Or it's not bad tuning into some channels you can't get in the US, like in other languages or CNN International or BBC.

Or just rip some DVDs to the laptop before you leave.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:48 pm

Last month, we were in Hawaii for my birthday. My #1 1K GF is a big tennis player and of course wanted to watch French Open tennis, but that was WAY EARLY in the morning, lke 02:30 early.

So, I had the slingcatcher hooked up to the TV in the bedroom, had the home ProHD record the tennis and we watched it over breakfast in the mornings in HD! I had about 3MB dl in the room, only needed 1MB of that though for good picture. I have 1MB up at the home, which makes for a decent "hd" feed to come from the slingbox ProHD.

It was 10 minutes to hookup everything on the Hawaii end, but 8-9 of those minutes was setting up the two wireless travel routers so I could get internet at the device in the bedroom. Router 1, connected via ethernet to the slingcatcher, connected wirelessly to Router 2, at the ethernet drop in the room which authencticated the connection.. voila, instant local wireless ethernet and no cables or having to be near the internet connection.

Worked like a charm.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 2K, Marriott Platinium, Global Entry, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by wco81
Anyone find that some hotel connections have poor downloads? Even downloading podcasts can be slow.

Seems it would make more sense for people traveling on business, having nice business hotel rooms paid for, then leisure travel.

Besides which you'd want to do something else than watching a lot of TV from back home on a laptop screen.

Or it's not bad tuning into some channels you can't get in the US, like in other languages or CNN International or BBC.

Or just rip some DVDs to the laptop before you leave.
I have used the slingbox in Thailand. It was really hard at most hotels(even the upscale ones) to get a fast enough connection to even make watching the tv worth while.

I know I have a problem when I starting choosing my hotels based on their internet connection. It was during the NBA playoffs and had to watch my team. In some ways it was just easier to torrent the games I wanted to watch to avoid the buffering.

As for watching it on the laptop screen if your laptop has hdmi all you need is a hdmi cable.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:28 am
Suspended

Well, TVs in hotels aren't going to HDMI unless it's a business hotel and you get a nice room.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Well, TVs in hotels aren't going to HDMI unless it's a business hotel and you get a nice room.
I've had a flat panel with HDMI in 3 of the 5 last hotels I spent the night. Even lower end hotels like Cambria Suites and Aloft have HDMI available.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:40 am
Suspended

Well maybe I was thinking more of B&Bs and inns in smaller European towns than chain hotels near airports or in big cities.

Broadband is common enough even in those areas but not so much big hotels.

Many of them do have LCDs wall-mounted but I didn't check to see if they had HDMI. Most often EU has their own standards, especially for non-HDTV displays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.