Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Anyone using a SlingBox?

Anyone using a SlingBox?

Old Jun 21, 12, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Can you provide any more information...I have a Slingbox, but if I understand what you are saying if I have a WD TV Live unit, I can use the Slingplayer to watch it? Or I use it to connect to my Slingbox?
I'll try and read more from the WD site, but maybe you have that information ready.
Old Jun 21, 12, 11:46 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
The WD TV Live Slingplayer is meant for in-house use. You are "slinging" from the Slingbox to a TV in another room in your home that is hooked up to the WD TV Live using either your wireless or wired network.

SlingPlayer for WD TV Live Media Players
WD TV Live Media Player Set Up
Old Jun 22, 12, 9:22 am

It may be meant for home use, but it works on the web. Their product description touts using it in the dorm, beach house......
Old Jun 26, 12, 11:59 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Sad to say I just noticed tonight that my SlingBox Pro HD appears to have fried, right after the 90 day unlimited tech support warrenty.
Yikes, mine bricked at about 93 days of ownership. I wonder if they have a kill timer built in.

Called Sling and after a short series of questions, sent me a replacement ProHD. No charge for the replacement or call.
Old Jul 16, 12, 9:00 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
I'm not sure if it's a temporary or permanent price cut, but Slingplayer for iPhone and Slingplayer for iPad is now $14.99.
Old Jul 16, 12, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The price has also dropped to $14.99 for Android devices.
Old Jul 16, 12, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
There are several DVR to mobile device side load products available or being developed.

Along with bandwidth caps and slow hotel Internet, Sling's usefulness is on the decline.
Old Jul 17, 12, 1:40 am

Do NOT get a Vulkan, a cheap imitation of a sling box. Mine is an absolute piece of crap... I use a website to watch sports... if you google live sports... There are so many free options.
Old Jul 17, 12, 3:26 pm

Question DirecTV question

Could a Slingbox allow me to stream programs to my iPad or iPhone that I have recorded to my DirecTV DVR ?
Old Jul 17, 12, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Well duh!

But honestly, yes that is really exactly the type of thing is for. I use mine to watch shows, recorded, setup, etc for all my directv dvr's from anywhere in the world, on computer, ipad iphone, etc.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
The price has also dropped to $14.99 for Android devices.
I just bought this for my Kindle Fire, but it doesn't work with my Slingplayer...hoping to find a way to cancel/return this order. Oh well.
Old Jul 18, 12, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
But honestly, yes that is really exactly the type of thing is for. I use mine to watch shows, recorded, setup, etc for all my directv dvr's from anywhere in the world, on computer, ipad iphone, etc.
OK. Something I heard gave me the impression I had to somehow move the stored program on the DVR to the Slingbox first.

re: "for all my directv dvr's from anywhere in the world"

So, to be clear, you have 1 Slingbox setup that enables you to see programs stored on either of your DirecTV DVRs?
Old Jul 18, 12, 6:41 am

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MareLuce View Post
OK. Something I heard gave me the impression I had to somehow move the stored program on the DVR to the Slingbox first.

re: "for all my directv dvr's from anywhere in the world"

So, to be clear, you have 1 Slingbox setup that enables you to see programs stored on either of your DirecTV DVRs?
Whatever you can do sitting in front of your TV with your remote control you can do on your PC using Slingbox. When you launch slingbox it actually brings up a picture of your remote control on your PC screen.

So yes you can either watch live TV or view DVRd movies/shows.

Great Product, been using mine for 3-4 years now.
Old Jul 18, 12, 7:34 am

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 12, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
But i will say, the directv dvr's have to be close to each other AND the slingbox in order for ONE slingbox to be able to stream from either of them.(unless you use MRV with your directv account) I don't use MRV, but have TWO DVR in the LR, and one slingbox streams their content. I do have ANOTHER slingbox in the BR that streams from the DVR in that room. It is a bit overkill, but I have a lot of SB's in the house regardless.

Search this Thread