New iPod leaked?

Old Sep 9, 08, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest
Unimpressed

Overall, I am unimpressed with "Lets Rock". About the only thing I am glad to see is that NBC is back on ITUNES, other than that it was a real yawner.

Apple has amazed me in the past with their innovations, now they just seem to be introducing slight improvements to their product line and trying to trumpet them as "something great".
Old Sep 9, 08, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Snore, I guess we wait til next year...
Old Sep 9, 08, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This may seem odd, but some of us just want an iPod to use as an mp3 player.

Anything that's cheaper, smaller, and has more memory is great. It doesn't have to be smart enough to make an omelette in the morning...
Old Sep 9, 08, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Wow... How totally underwhelming

The new nano is booooring. I was at least right about the "Steve calls it the thinnest iPod ever" part
I bought an old nano a couple of weeks ago - not even feeling remorse is how boring it is. :-:

if there was a 64GB or greater touch, now that, that would be interesting
Old Sep 9, 08, 9:32 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Some pictures are out

Apple's Steve Jobs announces new iPod Nano

"Apple has unveiled a new-look version of its popular iPod nano music player in time for the lucrative Christmas shopping season.

Steve Jobs, Apple's chief executive, was greeted by cheers as he showed off the nano, which will be available in 8GB and 16GB capacities. It is longer and thinner than its predecessors, and has a curved glass screen, which Apple said makes it ideal for watching videos on."

More in the UK Daily Telegraph
Old Sep 10, 08, 4:22 am

::yawn:: Not at all impressed with the iPod nanos. Had one to play with for a week and don't see why the device has any popularity. Nice audio amplifier, but terrible battery life. Add in the proprietary connector/charger and it was a no-deal for me. Sad, but true: I use $9 1GB MP3 players off Woot.com. Uses a standard mini-USB connector (same as my Blackberry) and standard rechargeable AAA batteries. Then there's the 8GB card in my Blackberry 8830. Better screen than the Nano and far better battery life.
Old Sep 10, 08, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by KRSW View Post
::yawn:: Not at all impressed with the iPod nanos. Had one to play with for a week and don't see why the device has any popularity. Nice audio amplifier, but terrible battery life. Add in the proprietary connector/charger and it was a no-deal for me. Sad, but true: I use $9 1GB MP3 players off Woot.com. Uses a standard mini-USB connector (same as my Blackberry) and standard rechargeable AAA batteries. Then there's the 8GB card in my Blackberry 8830. Better screen than the Nano and far better battery life.
terrible battery life? the last three versions of the ipod nano get 24 hours of music playback on a single charge.

and there's nothing proprietary about the dock connector; specs are available from apple and there are countless accessories, from the usual chargers and speakers, to the more bizarre, including a flashlight, a toilet paper holder, and a breathalyzer.
Old Sep 10, 08, 8:54 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by KRSW View Post

Yep, those 1GB players are great when you have a 17GB music collection!

I don't know about the nano, but in airplane mode, the iPhone is rated to something like 27 hours of playback on audio, and 6-7 hours on video. Given that I travel with an external 3.5A-h LiIon pack in my laptop bag, I could do a couple of RTW trips before I needed to find a power outlet, and if I'm doing an RTW in Y where there are no outlets, I've got bigger comfort issues at hand.

It's nice to be able to charge everything off of one cable, but that also precludes you from charging multiple things at once. If you want to just plug everything in at night, you need multiple cables anyhow, so it doesn't really matter whether it's mini-USB, iPod Dock, etc. on one end of the cable - as long as the other end is a male USB, you're good.

My standard battery-powered travel gear is:

* iPhone (work cell)
* Jawbone
* Blackjack (personal cell)
* Laptop with iGo charger

My charging kit for everything but the laptop consists of:
* USB cables for each
* An AC-USB adapter for when I want to charge sans laptop (from the iPhone, since it's the smallest one I have)
* A 12V-USB adapter for the car (which has resistors added to put the right voltage on the data lines so it can charge the iPhone)
* The external LiIon pack, which can charge anything but the laptop, and can be recharged via USB
* iGo tips

Total weight for charging stuff is maybe 1 pound, and along with all of my other small electronics (earphones, memory card reader, presentation remote, etc) it fits neatly in a single Eagle Creek quarter-cube pouch in my laptop bag. About the only charging option I'm missing is solar.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: