Wiki Posts
Search

DirecTV or FiOS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2008, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
DirecTV or FiOS

I've been dreading an upgrade on DirecTV as the local company that installs the systems has caused three of my neighbors roofs to leak. This has made me take a close look at other options and I'm currently looking at the move to FiOS. Would make the move to FiOS for Internet & TV and had some quick questions:

- How does the image compare between the two services?

- Does anyone know if Setanta Sports is available on FiOS? Setanta's web site said it's offered via Verizon but I can't find anywhere on the FiOS site.

- I work from home and VPN into our network. Does FiOS prohibit or limit VPN connections?

- If anyone has switched from DirecTV to FiOS, were you happy with the switch?

My current company reimburses me for internet so we've been using Cox for the internet and DirecTV for television. By the time I bundle everything on FiOS it works out to be the same price as the DirecTV/Cox combination I'm currently running.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:40 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

If you already have DirecTV, I'm not sure how the installer could damage your roof. The new 5LNB dish should pop right on your existing mast, should it not?
Old Aug 24, 2008, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by YYZC2
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

If you already have DirecTV, I'm not sure how the installer could damage your roof. The new 5LNB dish should pop right on your existing mast, should it not?
Was scheduled for an upgrade in October 07. Installer came to the house and told me the new dish required a sturdier post than the old one and I would have to switch. New post looked the exact same from when it was installed in 2000, but he swears its different. As our dish resides on a 3rd floor roof and I'm not quite the weight a latter was designed for, I have to take his word but was hesitant.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 7:40 pm

Programs: CO Plat
I have DirecTV and FiOS for internet, and, have seen the FiOS tv service many times at homes of friends/family.

- Quality of picture is the same
- You can use a VPN with no issue on FiOS
- I prefer DirecTV because I pay no monthly fee for TiVO and their customer service has always been great
- You do not have to install your dish on the roof if you are worried about leaks - I installed my own dish and put it on the back side of my house. Installation was easier (lower height and screwed right into the siding), you can hide it on a non-public side of your house, and, on the rare occasion you get snow/ice accumulation, it is far easier to clean off.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 7:58 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
I take it you've never had to deal with Verizon??!? I would never buy anything from them except for local phone service in areas where they are the local phone company.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 7:35 pm

Programs: CO Plat
FiOS customer service is different from Verizon - and the one time I needed them they were excellent. And, while certainly not the best customer service ever, Verizon has been more than acceptable.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 3:26 pm

If FiOS is available to your area, you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

I recently moved from an area where I've had FiOS for TV and Internet to an area dominated by Cox, AT&T, TWC, etc., and they don't even come close.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by mbstone
I take it you've never had to deal with Verizon??!? I would never buy anything from them except for local phone service in areas where they are the local phone company.
They have a dedicated FiOS service center that is completely separate from the Verizon CS, and they are actually quite excellent.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are there any mileage earning opportunities with DirecTV?
Old Sep 1, 2008, 8:43 pm

FIOS for sure.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:37 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
FiOS!

Seriosuly, wonderful speed and such. I can't imagine anything else comparing.

See how it compares in your area: http://www.speedtest.net/

In my area FiOS is the fastest behind the dedicated T-lines for businesses.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
DirecTV has a wider diameter mast for the newer MPEG4-capable dishes. You can buy a sleeve to fit over to compensate, but you still need at least one (and ideally both) of the supplemental anchor poles to stop torque-twisting in the wind.

You can get no-shingle-hole roof-mount plates, as well as soffit anchor plates from 3rd parties, at your cost.

Can't answer your comparison, as we love our DirecTV and can't get FIOS. If you can get AT&T DSL, they have some deals on now w/ a 2 year no-increase guarantee.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by YYZC2

They told us they had to move the location of the dish when we upgraded from the 3 LNB to 5 LNB. Not sure if it was BS, but I don't know why they would volunteer to do the extra work if it was not required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.