Reload this Page >

How much for a prepaid unlimited data in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much for a prepaid unlimited data in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:52 am

I think you will struggle to find unlimited data across all of Europe. For mobile wi-fi just in the UK fonmigo does pretty good plans for wireless modems.

Last edited by sbm12; Jun 16, 2010 at 9:15 am Reason: removed link
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:32 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Pre-Paid Data in France

Saw this on the MacRumors forum and thought I'd post it here too just in case anyone needs a pre-paid data plan in France.
Originally Posted by JonboyDC @ Macrumors
I'm just finishing a 12-day trip in France, and thought I'd share the results of my efforts to get a non-roaming data plan on my iPad.

1) Go to an SFR store when you arrive and purchase the €9.99 Pret a Surfer iPad 3G+ kit. It gives you a microsim and three days of data service. You'll need an ID (my US drivers license worked fine) and a French address (my hotel address in Paris worked.)

2) After you check out, but before you leave, insert the new sim. You will then need to activate through iTunes. They were able to do this for me at the store.

3) In Settings, go to Cellular Data, select APN Settings, and enter "websfr" in the space for APN (without the quotation marks).

4) Turn the iPad off and on. You should now have data. Don't leave the store until it works -- I had to come back three times to get all of this info and make it work. If it doesn't work for you, make the salespeople call tech support for you.

After the first three days, it will cost €6 per day. But you enter a code at the beginning of each 24-hour period for which you want data coverage, so you can take on the cost only for the days you need it, and in particular on those days you don't have wifi. (A subscription would be cheaper, but it requires a French ID and French bank account.) Here's how to do it:

1) Buy a Passe Journee for each 24-hour period you think you'll need it at an SFR store. (If you buy too many, no worries -- they're good for two years.) For each pass, you will get a receipt with a code on it. The only way I found to get a pass was in a store -- didn't see a way to do it online.

2) When you need another 24 hours of data, go to Settings, select Cellular Data, select SIM applications, select Solde/Recharge, select Rechgt Coupon, and select Par Texto. Enter the code from the receipt, and hit the send button. It will send in the code. Then turn the iPad off and on. You now have 24 hours of data. (The receipt also gives a number you can call to activate the code, but I never got it to work.)

The biggest hassle of using the iPad here is that the auto-correct gets screwed up -- in many apps, it thinks you are typing French, even though the language is set to English.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Can anyone recommend an unlocked USB dongle that I can use with my ASUS eee netbook in multiple European countries? I'll be in Ireland, England, France and Italy in the next six months or so and I know I'll need a new SIM for each country but am hoping to buy just one USB dongle and pop the SIMs in and out as needed. I've seen a few online but was hoping someone with actual experience using one could make a recommendation.

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by ShopAround
Can anyone recommend an unlocked USB dongle that I can use with my ASUS eee netbook in multiple European countries? I'll be in Ireland, England, France and Italy in the next six months or so and I know I'll need a new SIM for each country but am hoping to buy just one USB dongle and pop the SIMs in and out as needed. I've seen a few online but was hoping someone with actual experience using one could make a recommendation.

Thanks!
This is just a thought, but look at three.ir. Three is in every country you listed except France and there must be a cheaper roaming option here.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Can anyone recommend an unlocked USB dongle that I can use with my ASUS eee netbook in multiple European countries? I'll be in Ireland, England, France and Italy in the next six months or so and I know I'll need a new SIM for each country but am hoping to buy just one USB dongle and pop the SIMs in and out as needed.
Maybe try Vodaphone? They are in all the countries you list.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

Thanks!
Buy an unlocked MiFi unit.

It will eliminate the overhead of the data software on your netbook. I have an eee netbook and have seen the data manager software consuming up to 8% of CPU. Wifi on the netbook doesn't consume much CPU.

I'm very happy with the MiFi solution for Europe.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Maybe try Vodaphone? They are in all the countries you list.
I thought that would be the solution, but I'm told that each country is locked to its own network, so for example, the one I'd purchase in Dublin wouldn't work with an Italian SIM in Milan.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Buy an unlocked MiFi unit.

It will eliminate the overhead of the data software on your netbook. I have an eee netbook and have seen the data manager software consuming up to 8% of CPU. Wifi on the netbook doesn't consume much CPU.

I'm very happy with the MiFi solution for Europe.
I was trying to avoid that - they're expensive and it's another thing to schlep around with me - more cumbersome than a little USB stick.

If I do go that route, can you recommend the particular brand or model that works for you? And were you able to buy it unlocked or did you have to do that yourself?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I thought that would be the solution, but I'm told that each country is locked to its own network, so for example, the one I'd purchase in Dublin wouldn't work with an Italian SIM in Milan.
They are different, but Vodaphone has roaming tariffs for corporate accounts. Maybe for pre-paid? And in any case you could maybe get an unlocked dongle from them, especially in the UK where it is common, or Italy where it is law.

I just use WiFi everywhere in Europe. Most public WiFi can roam to my Orange account which is super cheap for WiFi roaming.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I was trying to avoid that - they're expensive and it's another thing to schlep around with me - more cumbersome than a little USB stick.

If I do go that route, can you recommend the particular brand or model that works for you? And were you able to buy it unlocked or did you have to do that yourself?

I have a Novatel MiFi 2352. I paid about $120 for mine on eBay. It came unlocked, with accessories. I upgraded the firmware - firmware was available through one of the carrier web sites (and through a couple of other options on the internet).

You're right, it's larger than a stick. But it allowed me to use my Android phone while out on the town (the mifi is smaller than a blackberry) and my netbook in the hotel room. The netbook - an Asus eee - runs much faster on wifi than on a Sprint or Verizon USB stick (I've tried 'em both). That's attributed to the data manager software that the sticks want to use.

YMMV, and you certainly can get a stick. I find the mifi to be more flexible, though.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I have a Novatel MiFi 2352. I paid about $120 for mine on eBay. It came unlocked, with accessories. I upgraded the firmware - firmware was available through one of the carrier web sites (and through a couple of other options on the internet).

You're right, it's larger than a stick. But it allowed me to use my Android phone while out on the town (the mifi is smaller than a blackberry) and my netbook in the hotel room. The netbook - an Asus eee - runs much faster on wifi than on a Sprint or Verizon USB stick (I've tried 'em both). That's attributed to the data manager software that the sticks want to use.

YMMV, and you certainly can get a stick. I find the mifi to be more flexible, though.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I'll have to keep looking for an affordable MiFi - the unlocked ones I'm seeing online are in the $200-$300 range.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:28 am

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I'll have to keep looking for an affordable MiFi - the unlocked ones I'm seeing online are in the $200-$300 range.
Appears that I got a good deal on eBay....
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:19 pm

Remember you can also run your MiFi off a USB port like a modem if you are so inclined. I've done it with my CDMA MiFi once in a while, e.g. where there is only one outlet, etc. If someone has a CDMA and GSM/HSPA MiFi, I'd love to see a camera pic of the two side by side to compare the size.

It is a little pricey, but I wonder if you could put an iPhonetrip SIM rental into a MiFi?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Remember you can also run your MiFi off a USB port like a modem if you are so inclined. I've done it with my CDMA MiFi once in a while, e.g. where there is only one outlet, etc. If someone has a CDMA and GSM/HSPA MiFi, I'd love to see a camera pic of the two side by side to compare the size.

It is a little pricey, but I wonder if you could put an iPhonetrip SIM rental into a MiFi?
From the iPhonetrip web site:

You can also use the rented chip with any unlocked GSM phone or cellular modem.
Assuming that is accurate, the answer should be "yes".
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:14 pm

This slightly off topic, but I just noticed that with many VOIP apps for phones like iPhones, they default to low bandwidth codecs over 3G, but higher bandwidth codecs over wifi, even if the wifi is a MiFi. It most cases this means a lower quality connection if you can't force the use of low bandwidth codecs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.