Wiki Posts
Search

[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Plane Finder Puzzle

Originally Posted by Prospero
Plane Finder provides real time "virtual radar" mapping, illustrating aircraft in the sky with details such as altitude, speed, plane type etc.

At 00:53 who would have guessed the number of aircraft in flight over the UK - mostly FedEx, DHL, LoCos and charters, mind.
Works for several areas of the world, but the U.S. does not seem to be one of them. Full version costs $5, with a very limited free version available.

What's with this note on the App Store? "Rated 17+ for the following: Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes."
Old Apr 4, 2010, 1:50 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
PageOnce.com

Superb iPhone mileage/points/etc. tracker

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Interesting, this is the only post that came up when I searched "frequent flyer" and I would have thought more folks around here would have wanted an ap that let them keep tabs on their FF accounts, and pending mileage/points postings in airline and hotel programs. Since this post is two years old, is there a newer ap that tracks just these accounts? Surely among the 100K aps promoted there must be one dedicated FF/FH account tracker!

I've not migrated to an iPone or iPod Touch, but have an iPad waiting for me at my next US hotel this week. Seems this would be a required ap and work quite well on the iPad given the larger screen. Otherwise guess I will have to convert my current Excel version into Apples spread sheet format for the iPad.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Works for several areas of the world, but the U.S. does not seem to be one of them. Full version costs $5, with a very limited free version available.
Noticed this as well, and, in fact, I specifically came back onto FT to make mention of this point. Of course, I should not be surprised someone else beat me to it!

Good thing I didn't spring for the paid version yet.

According to the description, it works using ADS-B, which is a newer type of system wherein aircraft continuously transmit their current positions (based on the aircraft's installed GPS) rather than relying on radar sweeps. It works very well in places not covered by radar (think: trans-oceanic flights and the remote parts of Alaska, Canada, Russia, and similar places).

Therefore, coverage with the app requires a linked ADS-B receiver, which (for a small price ) anyone can get and then share with the makers of the app--similar to LiveATC.net, I presume it is based on volunteers.

Of course, an ADS-B receiver is not the only step in the process: the aircraft flying around do have to have ADS-B transmitters installed, too, and I'm not sure at what stage that whole process is. The world is moving in that direction, but, well, we all know how slow anything involving modernization of air traffic control goes. In fact, I'm surprised at the existing use of it based on this app! I wasn't aware that ADS-B was in great use anywhere yet!

Originally Posted by cblaisd
PageOnce.com

Superb iPhone mileage/points/etc. tracker
I will very much second the mention of this (it and its associated iPhone app, Personal Assistant, may have been mentioned upthread, too). You do have to place a certain amount of trust in PageOnce, but if (like me) you have no problem doing so, it is a nearly magical tool.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:17 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Is there an app for getting text message delivery reports (or is there a way of enabling these on the standard i-phone?).

Have just changed to i-phone from a nokia - on the nokia one could enable a mode whereby you could get confirmation that an SMS text message had been actually delivered to the recipient's fone.

Any ideas?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BOH
Is there an app for getting text message delivery reports (or is there a way of enabling these on the standard i-phone?).

Have just changed to i-phone from a nokia - on the nokia one could enable a mode whereby you could get confirmation that an SMS text message had been actually delivered to the recipient's fone.

Any ideas?
No way to do delivery reports on the iPhone. Its a major drawback, especially once you switch over from Nokia's
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I thought this was more of a carrier specific feature and as far as I know ATT does not offer it, which is why it was never included on iPhones
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:44 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat

What's with this note on the App Store? "Rated 17+ for the following: Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes."
The DC area was added earlier this week. Hopefully this is sign of wider coverage of the US to come in the near future.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adambadam
I thought this was more of a carrier specific feature and as far as I know ATT does not offer it, which is why it was never included on iPhones
Nope. It iPhone specific. Its a pity as its a very useful option.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lallyr
Nope. It iPhone specific. Its a pity as its a very useful option.
Is it? Maybe it's both phone and network. I could never get SMS delivery confirmation to work on my Sony Ericcson GSM phone with AT&T, either.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
Is it? Maybe it's both phone and network. I could never get SMS delivery confirmation to work on my Sony Ericcson GSM phone with AT&T, either.
Could be AT&T. I know that iPhone has never supported delivery reports. I wonder why though. Its such a useful feature.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lallyr
Could be AT&T. I know that iPhone has never supported delivery reports. I wonder why though. Its such a useful feature.
Is there no home brewed apps that do this?

Last edited by brodyaga; Apr 11, 2010 at 10:59 am
Old Apr 9, 2010, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brodyaga
Is there no home brewed apps that do this?
Nope. Although I haven't tried searching in the last year or so. So something might have come up but I do remember reading somewhere that the iPhone for some reason was not compatible with delivery reports.

It was a over a year ago so can't tell you why but the article did explain it quite well.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Flight Control RAWKS dude.
Forgot to mention: Flight Control HD on the iPad DUBBLE RAWKS. I played it on my friend's iPad the other night, and it is--seriously--almost reason enough to drop $500 on an iPad.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 5:55 am

SMS delivery reports is a combination of network and phone. And AT&T does not support it. Only Tmobile does. Now, MMS delivery (actually both read and delivered) does work with AT&T though.

Originally Posted by jackal
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Opera Mini, finally available for download on the iPhone today, is fantastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.