Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Boingo Wireless Unlimited for $9.95 per month (not an introductory rate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boingo Wireless Unlimited for $9.95 per month (not an introductory rate)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I got this deal from Boingo a coule of months ago and I consider it a great deal. I do pretty well with wfi these days along with my ATT Uverse that gives me free wifi on their networks.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 2:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
OK, now that I have it, this is turning out to be a bad purchase for me.

Evidently, despite the "thousands of available hotspots", so far I'm 0-for-4 in trying 'cause none of the places I've tried (ATT @ Starbucks, Coffee Bean, McDs and this one hotel) have a pulldown for logging in via a Boingo account.

The Boingo pages say you don't need to run their connection manager (and I never will, since I run Linux 99.9% of the time) to log into places, but I guess that's not at all true. Sending an E-mail to support (with "I don't run Windows" prominently in both the Subject: and body) got me a E-mail a couple of days later inviting me to "Download their Connection Manager!" from some drone.

So, before I go cancel (thank God this was a no-contract offer!), does anyone know what magic incantation goes into the various login/password screens so I can use my Boingo credentials in any of these many hotspots?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:33 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Evidently, despite the "thousands of available hotspots", so far I'm 0-for-4 in trying 'cause none of the places I've tried (ATT @ Starbucks, Coffee Bean, McDs and this one hotel) have a pulldown for logging in via a Boingo account.
the little boingo client doesn't work for me most of the time. At McD's, I had to dig around and find the roaming partner page, then log in. I've found most places will take either "boingo/username" or "boingo\username" in the login field if the boingo client doesn't work.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:36 am

Thanks, Goalie. (I've tried something like that, but perhaps I didn't use the right slash).
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:35 am

Success at a Starbucks, finally

I just connected via Boingo at an AT&T WiFi-enabled SB for the first time (using "boingo/mylogin" as the login and selecting "Other Provider"). I'd tried this before and had gotten a message saying "This partner disallows roaming access" or the like and thought the two entities didn't have an agreement.

If this continues to work at various SBs, I'm done with my T-Mo for good now (esp. since I've got CDMA 3G); I've paid for this $10/mo Boingo service for 3 mos now and this is the first time I've been able to use it, but that still works out to be cheaper than the $40/mo T-Mo is getting me for.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
Wow, good timing, I signed up for the trail a few months ago and was debating whether the full fare price was worth it. For $10/month, I'm going to cancel my exsiting account and re sign up.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:11 am

IIRC, the initial offer had an expiration date of July 31st.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cblaisd
One alternative for some: maybe everyone knows this but if you register a Starbucks card and use it or re-load it (purchase any amount or re-load any amount) every thirty days, you get 2 free hours of ATT wifi per day. I've confirmed that it works at both Starbucks and McDonalds, and would assume that any other ATT Wifi hotspots work too.
Update: the last several times I've tried at McDonalds, it hasn't worked.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... I've paid for this $10/mo Boingo service for 3 mos now and this is the first time I've been able to use it ...
Originally Posted by cblaisd
... the last several times I've tried [to use a SBs' card for ATT WiFi] at McDonalds, it hasn't worked.
You just made me realize I'm a liar- I did actually use my Boingo account about 3 weeks ago at a Mickey D's in LA. (As it was my first time in a McD's in about 5 years, I had an order of small fries, too. )
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:30 pm

Programs: JetBlue Trueblue, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Continental One Pass, Holiday Inn Priority Club, Marriott
This is also what they have available at Boston-Logan. They advertise Wi-Fi at Logan airport and then you log on and then they get you. I joined anyway months ago and it is a heck of a cheaper than using my old broadband Verizon card. $60 a month vs $20 a month. ^
Old Nov 9, 2008, 12:08 am

Note that Boingo recently increased international rates quite significantly.

And I was cut off for going over 3,000 minutes - as someone pointed out, very easy to do so... My account was terminated although they kindly continued to charge me until I disputed it. I will admit that customer service was quite good in the end, but still frustrating.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YIKES!!!

Boingo Unlimited - Special Offer!
Enjoy three months of service at $9.95 per month for unlimited Wi-Fi usage. Afterwards, monthly membership fee will be $21.95 for unlimited usage. Wi-Fi connections made outside the U.S. and Canada are subject to additional premium fees.

Boingo Global
Travel worldwide with a monthly Boingo Global membership and say goodbye to roaming fees and per-minute premium charges. Boingo Global is a flat-rate plan that gives you access to every Boingo hotspot around the world without incurring additional charges. Your credit card will automatically be billed $59 EACH MONTH. Please note THIS IS A RECURRING Monthly SUBSCRIPTION, but you are free to cancel anytime.

Boingo AsYouGo
Enjoy Boingo Wi-Fi for the next 24 hours at this hotspot for just $7.95. Future connections will be billed at just $7.95 per connection at individual hotspots within North and South America, $9.95 per connection at individual hotspots in Asia/Pacific, and $19.95 per connection at individual hotspots in Europe, Middle East, and Africa.

MisterNice
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
If I have Boingo installed in my computer, on the pay-as-you-go basis, and I am at a location where there is free wireless, does the Boingo still allow me to connect without charge?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
If I have Boingo installed in my computer, on the pay-as-you-go basis, and I am at a location where there is free wireless, does the Boingo still allow me to connect without charge?
If you authenticate using Boingo then you'll pay the Boingo rates. If you just connect to the free hotspot then it will be free. When the box pops up asking if you want to connect to the Boingo site you need to choose judiciously.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Okay, I just spoke with Boingo. I am going to be in the States from Nov 27 until Dec 8, and I will not need it when I am in Israel or Europe.

They signed me up at the $9.95 rate and told me I can cancel at any time. Because I originally took Boingo on a pay-as-you-go basis on the 13th of a month, my billing cycle starts and ends on the 13th. They are only going to charge me proportionately for the period starting today and ending Dec 13, meaning that I will pay $5.90. This is cheaper than making one connection at ATL so it is definitely worth it to me.

Moreover, it doesn't matter if I connect through Boingo elsewhere (like in FLL where they have both Boingo and a free connection). I will still only pay the $5.90.

They said that while there is a limit of 2000 minutes per month outside of the US, there is no limitation at all in the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.