Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Headphones: Isolation or Noise Cancelling?

Headphones: Isolation or Noise Cancelling?

Old Jun 1, 2008, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
I switched from Bose to Shure. As said, no batteries, small, better protection from ambient sound.

For me the real plus is that even the less than top of the line Shures have much, much better sound reproduction. If you listen to music that requires good reproduction, no comparison for quality.

I use the E5's. Thinking about upgrading to the newer E530's. I don't happen to like the PTH. Too much wire. Just me. I find it quite easy to take the triple flange ear tips in and out.

As to comfort? A very personal thing. For me, the triple flanges are fine on 15 hours runs trans-con -> trans ocean.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: some
I've been reading though a bunch of threads on earphones/headphones.

I used to have an on-ear Sony which I was very happy with but now the noise-cancelling is dead (for the rest they still work) and I haven't been able to find anyone who can fix them. I also still had a pair of in-ear Sony's lying around (the cheap ones - they retail for about $60 I think) and HATE them. I've tried all bud sizes and they just don't fit comfortably and the stupid battery is on the cord so the wait pulls your head down a bit - annoying.

From reading this and others threads I realise that in-ear is probably best in terms of weight, size and volume, IF you can stand them.

I'm considering getting the Shure 530PTH and then have the buds customised (and where would I have that done here in the UK?).

Would that work, or is it a case of hating the in-ear once, hate it forever?

If I did get them I've read mixed reports on the PTH. It'd be handy for in airplanes I guess but some say it's a bit large and ugly. Whaddayareckon?

Last edited by Fliar; Nov 14, 2008 at 8:52 am
Old Nov 14, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by Fliar
From reading this and others threads I realise that in-ear is probably best in terms of weight, size and volume, IF you can stand them.

I'm considering getting the Shure 530PTH and then have the buds customised (and where would I have that done here in the UK?).

Would that work, or is it a case of hating the in-ear once, hate it forever?

If I did get them I've read mixed reports on the PTH. It'd be handy for in airplanes I guess but some say it's a bit large and ugly. Whaddayareckon?
I've never been happy with how well the PTH does on airplanes, so I don't really use it much. If I need to talk, I just pull out one earbud.

As far as custom earmolds in the UK, a quick Google suggests these folks:

http://www.enhancedlistening.co.uk/H...s/c-1-433-270/

GBP25+VAT sounds pretty reasonable.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
In-ear isolate headphones. First set were Shures. May try Sennheiser next.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by bdjohns1
As far as custom earmolds in the UK, a quick Google suggests these folks:

http://www.enhancedlistening.co.uk/H...s/c-1-433-270/

GBP25+VAT sounds pretty reasonable.
Yes, but that's only for the measurement. The custom earpieces are GBP60, so it adds a rather whopping GBP to the earphones so that's a total of about GBP300

My main fear is that I won't be able to get used to in-ear buds in which case it'd be a lot of money to lose.

My experience with the Sony earphones was bad but then again, these are cheap buds...Not sure yet what to do...
Old Nov 14, 2008, 4:40 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by RCyyz
- sound quality is decent but not as good as my Bose.
You're not talking about accuracy of reproduction, because the Etymotic ER4 are far better than the Bose QC-x headsets in accurately reproducing sound. Even the low end 6i is better than any Bose QC-x model. Does Bose even publish frequency response plots for their headphones?

That's the problem. Most people are not looking for accurate sound, they're looking for bass-heavy sound, which is what Bose generally provides in their audio products. It's also the same reason that the Etymotic 6i has a boosted bass response; not for accuracy, but because people like that kind of inaccurate frequency response.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:43 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by Fliar
Yes, but that's only for the measurement. The custom earpieces are GBP60, so it adds a rather whopping GBP to the earphones so that's a total of about GBP300
Whoops, missed that part. The 60 pounds is in-line with what's being charged here in the US typically ($110-120).

An easy way to see if you'll be comfortable with earphones is to just buy a set of foam earplugs and wear them for a while (maybe sleep in them). If you can wear the yellow foam ones for a while (the ones that're just foam cylinders), then you should be OK. (sometimes these come in white as well)

I suggest the cylindrical non-tapered ones because IMO they're the stiffest material used for foam plugs - I come from experience, as I have to wear earplugs a lot when I go on the plant floor, and I've worn all types.

These are the type:

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/eclpvcfopln2.html

If you can handle them, earphones will be no sweat.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:32 am

Thanks bdjohns1, for your very helpful reply. I think I was given some of those on a plane the other day. I'll look 'em up and try them for a while. I love good sound and as I travel all the time these days 90% of my listening would be on these headphones so the cost is not the main concern.

Originally Posted by bdjohns1
Whoops, missed that part. The 60 pounds is in-line with what's being charged here in the US typically ($110-120).

An easy way to see if you'll be comfortable with earphones is to just buy a set of foam earplugs and wear them for a while (maybe sleep in them). If you can wear the yellow foam ones for a while (the ones that're just foam cylinders), then you should be OK. (sometimes these come in white as well)

I suggest the cylindrical non-tapered ones because IMO they're the stiffest material used for foam plugs - I come from experience, as I have to wear earplugs a lot when I go on the plant floor, and I've worn all types.

These are the type:

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/eclpvcfopln2.html

If you can handle them, earphones will be no sweat.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Starwood
Resurecting an old thread

I saw many posts on this subject and thought I'd add a point of view. I have both the Bose QC-2's and the Etymotic ER4-P's. I agree you can like both for different reasons. As far as music fidelity however the Etymotic ER4-P beats the Bose hands down. An IPOD and whatever internal amp is in the Bose is just not enough to drive the speakers easily. The etymotics are more spatial and have crisp accurate highs. The triple cone phalanges are very comfortable. I also got tired of lugging the Bose headphones in my brief case. I've used the etymotics much more as time has gone on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.