Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Vista SP1 is now available

Vista SP1 is now available

Old Apr 3, 08, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
It's just their way of saying they'd prefer you download the one through Windows Update since it only sends you the parts you really need.

The large one linked to will work just fine for you.
Thank you.
Old Apr 3, 08, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If SP1 isn't offered to you as an update, it is because the update software detected incompatible drivers. On my Vaio SZ there are supposedly incompatible drivers. However, I just downloaded the entire update package and installed it -- everything runs fine (and SP1 provides a noticeable improvement to Vista).
Old Apr 3, 08, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Ok I installed SP1, looks good to me

One question though, I now have an extra 15 GB on my harddrive. How did that happen? My files seem to be in place - any clues?
Old Apr 3, 08, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Give it a few days, and when everything seems to work as it should, follow these instructions:

http://www.labnol.org/software/tutor...nk-files/2641/
Old Apr 3, 08, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Give it a few days, and when everything seems to work as it should, follow these instructions:

http://www.labnol.org/software/tutor...nk-files/2641/
Wow! Thanks, Scott, for a great tip.
Old Apr 7, 08, 8:44 am
Suspended

Ok a couple of quirky things I have noticed since updating to SP1 - are they things I can correct?

1) the boot-up is slower than before. Part way through the boot cycle I get only a mouse on a screen, the rest black before it actually cycles into MS.

2) My network adapter does not load all the time, 2x now I have had to reboot to get it to be active

3) When my network adapter does load, it no longer shows in my system icon notification area and more importantly it is greyed out and won't let me check to have it show.

Any tweaks I can do?

The computer is an HP DV2710US running Vista Home Premium.

Merci.
Old Apr 7, 08, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Ok a couple of quirky things I have noticed since updating to SP1 - are they things I can correct?

1) the boot-up is slower than before. Part way through the boot cycle I get only a mouse on a screen, the rest black before it actually cycles into MS.
Though mine does that, too, I find it's booting faster than before SP1.

2) My network adapter does not load all the time, 2x now I have had to reboot to get it to be active
That was happening to me before SP1. Rather than rebooting, go into Device Manager, disable and then re-enable the NIC. That will fix it without rebooting (at least it does on mine).

3) When my network adapter does load, it no longer shows in my system icon notification area and more importantly it is greyed out and won't let me check to have it show.
Hmmm. That's weird -- I haven't seen that with my system.

Any tweaks I can do?
The first thing I would do is make sure the NIC drivers are up-to-date. Don't rely on Windows automatic updating for this. Go to the manufacturer's website (you should be able to find the manufacture by looking at Properties for the NIC in Device Manager). Next, try uninstalling (rather than disabling) the NIC. Windows will automatically re-install the NIC. That used to work for me before SP1. If that fails, try a system restore to before the NIC started failing (but after the installation of SP1). If that fails, I'm out of ideas -- you may have to uninstall SP1.
Old Apr 8, 08, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Windows Update had a large number of updates today, but not SP1. I wonder if this group that was issued today (08 April) was the last in preparation for the push of SP1 (via Update) next week?
Old Apr 8, 08, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
Windows Update had a large number of updates today, but not SP1. I wonder if this group that was issued today (08 April) was the last in preparation for the push of SP1 (via Update) next week?
I've got SP1 and I got the same updates.
Old Apr 8, 08, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SP1 automatic updates are being pushed out mid-April according to the Vista blog: http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...p1-update.aspx
Old Apr 8, 08, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
SP1 automatic updates are being pushed out mid-April according to the Vista blog: http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...p1-update.aspx
SP1 (65MB-427MB depending.... blah blah) had been on my automatic update list asking me to install for the last two weeks but I didn't bite. I downloaded today's new list of nine updates and SP1 has disappeared.
Old Apr 8, 08, 5:26 pm
Moderator, Hertz
Hyatt Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I REFUSE to go to Vista. I absolutly hate it! Too many issues with drivers, problems, requires a lot more RAM. I am very happy with my XP Pro SP2
Old Apr 8, 08, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jason8612 View Post
I REFUSE to go to Vista. I absolutly hate it! Too many issues with drivers, problems, requires a lot more RAM. I am very happy with my XP Pro SP2
Agree...but (at least Dell) OEMs won't be pushing XP out after June 30. Bought a second laptop with Vista Business so I'll be carrying around 2 for a few weeks. The license though will make provisions for downgrade privileges though.
Old Apr 10, 08, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post

This is a common symptom. Microsoft and others say it should speed up after a few reboots.

I'm going to do a clean install on a new HD and install SP1 on that. The last thing I need right now is to watch the SP install bomb, forcing me to start all over. It also gives me a good reason to get a larger hard drive.
Old Apr 11, 08, 7:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peetah View Post
This is a common symptom. Microsoft and others say it should speed up after a few reboots.
You are correct, now that SP1 has settled into my notebook it seems to be booting faster. Since the last update my sound and network icon's are back - weird.

Search this Thread