Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Noise reducing earbuds that are comfortable to sleep with on side?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2008, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Great forum here! I've got a question...

I'm interested in purchasing a set of in-ear headphones for some upcoming international flights, mainly to reduce noise. My biggest concern is that I like to sleep on my side, and I haven't found an earbud that's comfortable to lay on. This is mostly because it presses into the ear uncomfortably. I'd probably like something that is completely or almost completely in ear so that there isn't anything external to press into my head.

Does anyone else have this same issue or have found something that works for them?

Thanks!

Marshall
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:05 am

I bought the Sennheiser CX300's as they were suggested on this board. I have been very happy with them and can highly recommend them for other side-sleepers.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
I've used Etymotic/Altec im616 noise isolating earbuds with great success. They're very light, fit inside the ear, and don't need batteries.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mtaplits
I'd probably like something that is completely or almost completely in ear so that there isn't anything external to press into my head.
They're a little pricey, but the Shure SE530 earbuds might work for you. Besides being small and very good at sound isolation, IMO they're the best-sounding. This model is discussed in other threads in this forum, and read the reviews elsewhere--it's the gold standard.

The SE530PTH includes an in-line mic so you can listen to someone without removing the earbuds.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most earbuds are not NR, but isolation. i have a pair of inexpensive Shures, and when using the foam ear insertions, i find them comfortable.
the isolation is so good, i presume airlines may ban them. in flight announcements cannot be heard.

i think maybe sony makes a NR set. they have a battery, etc.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by videomaker
They're a little pricey, but the Shure SE530 earbuds might work for you. Besides being small and very good at sound isolation, IMO they're the best-sounding. This model is discussed in other threads in this forum, and read the reviews elsewhere--it's the gold standard.

The SE530PTH includes an in-line mic so you can listen to someone without removing the earbuds.
Add another vote for the 530PTH. The buds fit comfortably in my ears - there's a little pressure if I'm on my side, but not annoying by any means.

YMMV, as it all depends on how big the "pocket" in your ear is where the external bits sit.

These phones finally cured my "upgradeitis".
Old Feb 18, 2008, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too sleep on my side and have no problems with my non-ear bud Bose QC-2 in Y or F.

MisterNice
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:42 am

Bothe the Shure and the Altec seems to be quite large and protrube quite a bit. The big upside with the CX300 is that it fits almost entirely inside the ear, I haven't found that with any other noise isolating earbuds.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I think the premise of your question is misguided - like "what is the best painting to hang behind my television?" If you want quiet and comfortable, earbuds may not be the solution. Headphones and earbuds have dual purposes - to isolate noise and then to generate their own. Get yourself some Howard-Leight MAX-1's. -33db, and they will probably cost you $0.30/pair. I don't travel without them ^
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:03 am

Thumbs up SleepPhones are perfect

SleepPhones are great for travel because its fleece headband doesn't dig into you while sleeping. I have found them extremely helpful when flying or on long car rides. Check them out here
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:08 am

Smile SleepPhones are perfect

I have found SleepPhones to be extremely helpful when flying or on long car rides. They are way more comfortable than ear buds because its soft, fleece headband doesn't dig in while you sleep. Check them out! http://www.sleepphones.com/
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
How are the sleepphones at blocking out engine noise on the plane? I'm hesitant to give up the accoustic isolation provided by earphones or earplugs.

I use meelectronics earphones but have my earplugs ready in my pocket if I wake up in the middle of the redeye and need a quick switch to earplugs.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
+1 for Noise Isolating Earbuds

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
I've used Etymotic/Altec im616 noise isolating earbuds with great success. They're very light, fit inside the ear, and don't need batteries.
For earbuds, it's all about fitment. Forget the cheapy ones that hang on the outside of the ear canal (e.g. Apple earbuds). Look for ones with a solid rubber or foam seal. I use the Klipsch S4i. I have them on almost the entire time on the plane, listening to music or watching movies... and they also double as ear plugs during sleep, takeoff, and landing.

They are comfortable enough, but the seals are rubber and I want to try something like the Ultimate Ears 600's which are a very comfortable foam fitting.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:15 pm

I purchased a rain and thunder recording for .99 from iTunes which I play when I am trying to sleep it drowns out screaming kids and other noises nicely augmenting the noise cancelling headphones. I just put it on loop mode. I find that I don't sleep as well to music as constant white noise kinds of sounds. The rain and thunder somehow just feels more natural than pure white noise. It also works well in hotel rooms when you need to be up at 5am and the guest in the next room staggers into his room with a couple of friends at 2am.

[I have a pair of Bose headphones, but most of the time travel with my MM70s. They are tiny work well on planes and work well in the gym. I'm sure there are beter in ear headphones out there, but they are pretty good and there is a mike that I can use when I am using my iPhone as a phone].
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:28 am
Suspended

AirBuds are definitely the solution

I recently got turned onto these earbuds called Airbuds (www.air-buds.com) they are only 40 bucks and are the best for sound isolating and blocking out airplane noise.

The tips are made from a memory foam type material that expand to fit your ear, very comfy, especially for someone that could never find earbuds that fit I sleep in them no problem when I fly home every weekend. a Godsend!!!

hope this helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.