Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to use a CD stored in hard disk

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:20 am
Original Poster

How to use a CD stored in hard disk

I want to get rid of my CDs while traveling by storing them to my hard disk.

When I start the application (Rosetta Stone) it looks for the right CD to be inserted in the CD drive.

Any way to fool the software into looking in the hard disk or to make it seem like there is a CD in the CD drive?

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:39 am

Programs: CX, TG, SPG all back to base.
Yup!

Assuming you're using Windows, use Daemon Tools ( http://www.daemon-tools.cc/ ) which fools the PC to think that it has an extra drive (or drives if you want). You can mount any CD/DVD image onto this virtual drive and your PC merrily runs the software as though the original disc is in its drive.

To actually copy your disc onto your HDD there are many programs available; I use DVD Decrypter.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my case I use AnyDVD, CloneDVD and Virtual Clone Drive. All from www.slysoft.com.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Meerkat
Assuming you're using Windows, use Daemon Tools ( http://www.daemon-tools.cc/ ) which fools the PC to think that it has an extra drive (or drives if you want). You can mount any CD/DVD image onto this virtual drive and your PC merrily runs the software as though the original disc is in its drive.

To actually copy your disc onto your HDD there are many programs available; I use DVD Decrypter.
Should these products work? www.slysoft.com:
CloneCD
VirtualCloneDrive

I just copied the CD files to the HD. Am I going to have use the tools above to make this copy? I was hoping to just use VirtualCloneDrive but I have no idea what file to 'mount'
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just copying the files to a folder won't work with these tools. You need to create an ISO file of the CD/DVD, which I'm guessing is done with CloneCD but I've never used those programs before. Once you have the ISO file (it'll be one BIG file that represents the CD/DVD) then you use Daemon Tools or MagicDisc (which I know is free; I think Daemon has some restrictions) to mount the ISO file. That ISO file suddenly becomes a virtual CD drive on your computer.

S.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Test the Rosetta Stone CD ISO image before you leave the CD at home.

I had an older version of the software and they had something that I think autoplayed that prevented an ISO from being properly made with EZ-CD Creator or Nero.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wr_schwab
Test the Rosetta Stone CD ISO image before you leave the CD at home.

I had an older version of the software and they had something that I think autoplayed that prevented an ISO from being properly made with EZ-CD Creator or Nero.
Rosetta Stone has some security features that make it very difficult to run a language CD from an ISO.

There are some hacks, but I'm not sure. Google is your friend.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerd
Rosetta Stone has some security features that make it very difficult to run a language CD from an ISO.

There are some hacks, but I'm not sure. Google is your friend.
Google is definately you friend in this case I did get it to work eventually, but that entire discussion I don't think would be that appropriate for FT.

Unless something with their software changed, I didn't want to see the OP waste their time with two very common utilities to create ISOs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.