Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to make a DVD travelogue...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

How to make a DVD travelogue...

I would like to combine the digital photos, digital video, and my own 'travelogue' and make a DVD. I have Windows XP Office at home, and my husband has Vista on his laptop - but have no idea where to start. Suggestions? Ideas? The videos are on mini-dv.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA1P - Hilton Diamond
If your husband has Vista Ultimate or Home, you could use the Windows Movie Maker.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:46 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I've done it, but you've got to use a combo of software (at least I did).
  1. For the video, just use normal capture/edit/encode methods. Encode to DVD but DON'T AUTHOR.
  2. For the pics, use a DVD movie making program such as Ulead DVD Pictureshow. I do (author) 1 day at a time, but that's your preference. Extract the completed VOB's.
  3. For the travelogue, you could use a picture editor (Photoshop or even Microsoft Paint) and run through Step #2.
  4. Lastly, you need an authoring program to put it all together. I recommend DVD Lab Pro.

As you can see, it's not for the faint of heart and I'm not including a lot of details.

For more info and guides, go to videohelp.com
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, that helps - at least I know which directions to run to
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain
I've done it, but you've got to use a combo of software (at least I did).

For more info and guides, go to videohelp.com

I agree with Braindrain. I'm trying to convert some home videos to DVD and highly recommend VideoHelp.com. They've got some great tutorials and plenty of people willing to offer assistance on their forums.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do not need a separate program for the video and the stills. You can import stills into MovieMaker and virtually all other editing programs, mix them with video, apply transitions, titles, special effects, etc. If by travelogue you mean a voice-over narration, I don't know if Movie Maker can do this, but higher-end programs certainly can. As an alternative, you can simply record the voice over separately and import the audio into MovieMaker.

Once the project is complete you can either export the final video for transcoding and authoring in another program, or you can burn a DVD direct from the timeline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.