FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Could Sprint be a game-changer? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/789326-could-sprint-game-changer.html)

UScolorado1k Feb 11, 2008 8:57 am

Could Sprint be a game-changer?

Very interesting article in the current issue USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...0-sprint_N.htm

The guy who is the new CEO at Sprint is the same guy who drove introduction of 1-rate at ATT Wireless, the move that forced most nation-wide cell phone carriers to move away from roaming plans. Now he is talking about possibilities such as "unlimited usage" plans.

I am no fan of Sprint, however I will be watching with great interest to see what they come up with!

ScottC Feb 11, 2008 9:11 am

They already have an unlimited usage plan, it costs $119 per month.

They'll need to come up with something really spectactular to fix things. The only good thing Sprint has nowadays is their SERO plan.

ScottC Feb 11, 2008 9:12 am

FWIW;

http://sprintunlimitedaccess.com/

elCheapoDeluxe Feb 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Does anyone still talk on their phones anymore? How passe ;)

ScottC Feb 11, 2008 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe (Post 9234485)

I'm with you on that. Last month I used 350 minutes, and 4.5Gb of data :D

MikeyC Feb 12, 2008 1:58 am

Does the unlimited plan provide Blackberry Service for someone that needs access to their company's BES?

UScolorado1k Feb 12, 2008 6:07 am

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe (Post 9234485)

I agree with you on that. My wife and I have a "family plan" with two blackberries. She uses the bulk of the 2,000 minutes, I use hardly any, but sure make up for her on the data side!

Long live "unlimited data"! who cares about "unlimited voice", oops except for maybe my wife ! :)

opus17 Feb 12, 2008 7:06 am

Originally Posted by UScolorado1k (Post 9236647)
I agree with you on that. My wife and I have a "family plan" with two blackberries. She uses the bulk of the 2,000 minutes, I use hardly any, but sure make up for her on the data side!

Long live "unlimited data"! who cares about "unlimited voice", oops except for maybe my wife ! :)

I have a Sprint Family plan with my wife -- she averages one minute per month, usually off-peak.

ScottC Feb 12, 2008 7:29 am

Originally Posted by MikeyC (Post 9236152)
Does the unlimited plan provide Blackberry Service for someone that needs access to their company's BES?

Nope. :(

MikeyC Feb 12, 2008 7:54 am

It sounds like the unlimited data plan is worthless for blackberry users then. Is there a work around with Blackberry or is the workaround get a different device that works directly with exchange?

UScolorado1k Feb 12, 2008 10:03 am

Originally Posted by MikeyC (Post 9237043)
It sounds like the unlimited data plan is worthless for blackberry users then. Is there a work around with Blackberry or is the workaround get a different device that works directly with exchange?

My T-Mobile plan gives me unlimited data on my blackberry....

ScottC Feb 12, 2008 10:34 am

Originally Posted by UScolorado1k (Post 9237846)

Only web access though? I'm pretty sure you can't get the email service on a Blackberry without the specific Blackberry plan.

ScottC Feb 12, 2008 10:35 am

Originally Posted by MikeyC (Post 9237043)

The reason behind this is that a portion of the Blackberry service plan revenue goes directly to RIM, who provide the service. With a "normal" data plan, the operator gets all the cash.

UScolorado1k Feb 12, 2008 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC (Post 9238022)
Only web access though? I'm pretty sure you can't get the email service on a Blackberry without the specific Blackberry plan.

I have web access and unlimited BB data (internet email and BES).

AND they have an add-on package (10/month I think) that gives me international unlimited data. That sure comes in handy when I'm overseas. My wife and I went on a cruise, I added unlimited to my BB, but forgot to add it to my wife's. THAT was an expensive mistake! :(

Dan6681 Feb 12, 2008 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by UScolorado1k (Post 9237846)

I tired T-Mobile it is slowwwwww.... even in EDGE areas

The Sprint EVDO Network is much faster