Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Starbucks and AT&T partner for FREE WIFI!

Starbucks and AT&T partner for FREE WIFI!

Old Feb 11, 2008, 7:56 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Menlo Park, CA, USA
Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Posts: 6,925
Starbucks and AT&T partner for FREE WIFI!

I figured this was big enough to warrant its own thread.

the 411. Starbucks will give two free hours of in store AT&T wifi with starbucks card purchase.

AT&T DSL users will get free wifi in stores.
Roll out in the spring
7,000 Starbucks in the USA will be covered.
Maybe my letters to the COO of Starbucks struck a nerve, I promise to stop now!

Starbucks is teaming up with AT&T and will start offering a mix of free and paid wireless Internet service in more than 7,000 of its U.S. coffee shops beginning this spring.

The world's largest specialty coffee retailer's move ends a six-year partnership T-Mobile.

Starbucks said Monday it will give customers that use its Starbucks purchase card two hours of free wireless access per day. After that, it will cost $3.99 for a two-hour session. Monthly memberships will cost $19.99 and include access to any of AT&T's 70,000 hot spots worldwide.

People who already use AT&T as their Internet service provider will have unlimited Wi-Fi access at Starbucks.
nmenaker is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 8:01 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 37,486
Whoa! So does this mean T-mobile is exit as provider in Starbucks?
ScottC is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 8:05 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 37,486
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...14&newsLang=en

I see that AT&T will allow T-mobile customers to roam for free in Starbucks.

Nice for them; no dealing with the equipment anymore, but their customers can still sit there all day drinking lattes and updating their resume...
ScottC is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 8:17 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Menlo Park, CA, USA
Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Posts: 6,925
I think AT&T always provided the connectivity, T-mo was responsible for the hotspots technology
nmenaker is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:30 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Menlo Park, CA, USA
Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Posts: 6,925
Looks like they are going to FINALLY provide a bit more bandwidth as well.
nmenaker is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:44 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,099
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Starbucks said Monday it will give customers that use its Starbucks purchase card two hours of free wireless access per day.
Put 50 cents on a Starbucks card, never use the card, then each day you go into a Starbucks, enter in the card #, get 2 hours free access per day? How could that possibly work?

From Business Wire
"In recognition of the many T-Mobile customers who enjoy visiting Starbucks, the Company is also announcing that T-Mobile HotSpot customers will be able to continue to access Wi-Fi services at no additional cost, through an agreement between AT&T and T-Mobile."

Length of agreement between AT&T and T-Mo?
So, can I now roam at AT&T hotspots using my T-Mobile account or only roam at AT&T hotspots at Starbucks?

The latter would make my T-Mo hotspot service (discounted b/c I'm a T-Mo wireless customer) much more valuable. .... Lemme get this straight, I still get everything T-Mo gave me, plus AT&T roaming? No way that could work.
jsnydcsa is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:23 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: DTW
Programs: HH Diamond
Posts: 1,934
I haven't RTFA yet but if it works as if jsnydcsa thinks that would be very very nice.

Even if you had to actually make a purchase with your Starbuck's card that would be fine with me as well as I seem to always be getting Starbuck's cards as gifts.
infinityplusone is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:42 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 15,525
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I figured this was big enough to warrant its own thread.

the 411. Starbucks will give two free hours of in store AT&T wifi with starbucks card purchase.

AT&T DSL users will get free wifi in stores.
Roll out in the spring
7,000 Starbucks in the USA will be covered.
Maybe my letters to the COO of Starbucks struck a nerve, I promise to stop now!

Starbucks is teaming up with AT&T and will start offering a mix of free and paid wireless Internet service in more than 7,000 of its U.S. coffee shops beginning this spring.

The world's largest specialty coffee retailer's move ends a six-year partnership T-Mobile.

Starbucks said Monday it will give customers that use its Starbucks purchase card two hours of free wireless access per day. After that, it will cost $3.99 for a two-hour session. Monthly memberships will cost $19.99 and include access to any of AT&T's 70,000 hot spots worldwide.

People who already use AT&T as their Internet service provider will have unlimited Wi-Fi access at Starbucks.
I wonder if those of us with iPhones will be able to use the hotspots for free.
RichMSN is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:09 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Posts: 1,458
I was so excited about the year of T-Mobile Hotspot service that I got with my OLPC ... hope I'll still be able to use it.
SpaceBass is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:12 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 24,286
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Put 50 cents on a Starbucks card, never use the card, then each day you go into a Starbucks, enter in the card #, get 2 hours free access per day? How could that possibly work?...
As I understand it from this New York Times article, when you use your prepaid Starbucks card for at least $2 (not difficult) you get two hours a day free for a month. (Not sure if that's 30 days, the rest of the calendar month, or how they define it.) Granted, if you buy a $2.10 coffee once a month and use the wi-fi every day, that's a losing proposition, but so are a lot of things when you look only at the customer way out in the tail of the distribution. I think they figure that, anyone who (a) has a Starbucks pre-paid card, (b) comes into a Starbucks to use the wi-fi and (c) comes back to use it again is probably going to buy something a lot of the time. And if they lose money on a few free-loaders here and there - that's not much different from airlines losing money on a few FTers doing mileage runs here and there, is it?
Efrem is online now  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:42 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 7,700
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
I was so excited about the year of T-Mobile Hotspot service that I got with my OLPC ... hope I'll still be able to use it.
Same and same. Seems like we'll be able to if the "free roaming" feature works on the free OLPC account.
Mikey likes it is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 8:12 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Menlo Park, CA, USA
Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Posts: 6,925
where

Originally Posted by Efrem
As I understand it from this New York Times article, when you use your prepaid Starbucks card for at least $2 (not difficult) you get two hours a day free for a month. (Not sure if that's 30 days, the rest of the calendar month, or how they define it.) Granted, if you buy a $2.10 coffee once a month and use the wi-fi every day, that's a losing proposition, but so are a lot of things when you look only at the customer way out in the tail of the distribution. I think they figure that, anyone who (a) has a Starbucks pre-paid card, (b) comes into a Starbucks to use the wi-fi and (c) comes back to use it again is probably going to buy something a lot of the time. And if they lose money on a few free-loaders here and there - that's not much different from airlines losing money on a few FTers doing mileage runs here and there, is it?

are there 2.10$ coffees anywhere other than airports? Not to be a nig, but I buy coffee only, and would want to get fre wifi. I DO have AT&T so this will finally pay off (although, it will soon cost 5$ more a month for my ATT DSL)
nmenaker is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 8:50 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 24,286
Originally Posted by nmenaker
are there 2.10$ coffees anywhere other than airports? Not to be a nig, but I buy coffee only, and would want to get fre wifi. I DO have AT&T so this will finally pay off (although, it will soon cost 5$ more a month for my ATT DSL)
In my area, a venti is $1.95 plus 5% tax or $2.05 - close enough; I meant $2.10 as a general figure rather than a precise requirement. (The information I've read says the card has to be used for at least $2, not that the price of the product has to be at least $2, so it seems that tax counts toward that amount.)
Efrem is online now  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:22 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Posts: 4,783
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I think AT&T always provided the connectivity, T-mo was responsible for the hotspots technology
Not true. And Wayport is the underlying provider for all AT&T WiFi Hotspots.
SFO 1K is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:24 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Posts: 4,783
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I wonder if those of us with iPhones will be able to use the hotspots for free.
Yes, later this year, AT&T Wireless customers will have access to Starbucks WiFi Hotspots by AT&T, allowing iPhone users access to the WiFi network in stores in the US.
SFO 1K is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.