Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

how to get non-aol email delivered to aol inbox?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:58 am
Original Poster

can anyone help me with this? thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:36 am

It's not clear what you are trying to do. Can you try to clarify?

Besides that I can't imagine why anybody would want to use AOL for anything, but that's besides the point.

-David
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:18 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Many ISP providers allow you to automatically forward your email to another inbox. For example, my wife's email account is set up to automatically forward all her emails to her BlackBerry email account.

You could likely set up forwards that would just forward the emails in question to your AOL account. Just search your email provider's help section for 'email forwarding.'

Note that you may want to pick the 'delete after forwarding option' - Otherwise your non-AOL email accounts will fill up.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
There are at least a couple different ways the OP's question can be interpreted, so I think we need some clarification first.

1). First one could ask whether messages sent non-AOL e-mail address can be delivered to an AOL account. Technologically, yes, as gglave notes; however, AOL is not the most sophisticated handler of relayed mail, and may blacklist the other host— causing all messages forwarded from those addresses to be lost from time to time. This has been a problem with the big discount hosts like HostGator and BlueHost, with the most drastic problem and "solution" found at DreamHost (see
http://ryowebsite.com/email/aol-email-forwarding/ and
http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2006/...o-be-disabled/ ). Of course, Hotmail, GMail, Comcast, Verizon, and others do this as well, but AOL seems to be the most hamfisted at spamhandling as it turns up in the most "we do not forward to" lists I've found tonight.

2) Second, can e-mail in a non-AOL account be retrieved with AOL software? That answer is also "yes, but." http://journals.aol.com/websuiteblog...one-screen/290 seems to indicate it's possible, but only for POP accounts.

3) Third, can external e-mail be POPed directly into the AOL account? I don't think so, but I have never used AOL mail.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Let me try to clarify.

one business associate uses aol, another gmail, and we would like them to recieve company email, in their own name--"[email protected]".

right now the mail is set up to send "any and all [email protected]"
to me.

thanks for your help.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:00 am

Google Apps would be great for this. There's no need for AOL in this as I can see. gmail works with any web browser and any email client.

www.google.com/a

-David
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:58 am

I did the exact same thing. I set up my domain with a local service provider www.business.com. Through them I could set up 10 different e-mail fowarding accounts for anything I wanted (ie. [email protected]).

The only possible problem is the replys would come from their respective gmail/aol accounts.

Keba
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If whoever has the domain name can not handle it for you (some can and some can't) you can set up a rule on your machine to take anything for

[email protected] and forward it off to [email protected]

and

[email protected] and forward it to [email protected], etc

Start off with the domain registrar to see if they allow it or not and take it from there.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:59 am

The only problem with the forwarding thing is that replies come from a personal email address and not [email protected].

The google apps solution doesn't have that problem.

My ISP moved all it's email to google apps. My email address never changed. The pop or imap and smtp server names changed.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.