Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How do you travel with your GPS?

Old Jan 10, 08, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 350, which I love -- a terrific piece of engineering.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to travel with this. The GPS unit itself is quite light and compact -- about the size and weight of a pack of playing cards -- and has a nice, trim leather carrying case. However, it comes with a rather bulky cigarette-lighter-to-USB power cord, and the suction-cup windshield mount, though light, is also bulky.

I'm trying to figure out how best to fit all this in my traveling electronics kit (which already consists of a lot stuff).

Do you take the suction cup mount with you? Do you use the cigarette-lighter adapter, or depend on the batteries and charge it off your laptop? Is there some alternative accessories for charging and mounting that are more compact?
Old Jan 10, 08, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have the same unit. Even though it has voice prompt I find it useful to carry the mount. The changer is that comes with it is bulky so I bought this thing

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

and then carry with me a mini-usb cable which has many other uses.

For all my electronics I carry the car charger and leave the 120v adapters at home. Also carry this

so you can charge those same devices in the hotel.
Old Jan 10, 08, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by riteshraja View Post
I have the same unit. Even though it has voice prompt I find it useful to carry the mount. The changer is that comes with it is bulky so I bought this thing

For all my electronics I carry the car charger and leave the 120v adapters at home. Also carry this

so you can charge those same devices in the hotel.
riteshraja:
Thanks!

Those are amazing adapters ... and amazingly cheap!
Old Jan 10, 08, 3:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, Platinum Marriott, AA Gold, Silver NW
thanks for the great ideas for additions to my 350
Old Jan 10, 08, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by riteshraja View Post

Ah, I've already got both of these in my travel kit, but didn't even think about them. Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 08, 4:59 pm
Community Director

I use the case from an LH amenity kit to hold my Nuvi and its gear. It keeps it all together, and makes it easy to find in my carry on.
Old Jan 10, 08, 5:04 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 350, which I love -- a terrific piece of engineering.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to travel with this.
Sitting by the window seat on the plane, clocking our speed (hit 648 mph on a CO 739 the other day!)
Old Jan 10, 08, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammy0623 View Post
Sitting by the window seat on the plane, clocking our speed (hit 648 mph on a CO 739 the other day!)
I was going to ask about that. I saw a website that indicated that UA allows use of a GPS in-flight, and I'm planning to try it out Sunday. Does it actually follow along the highways? Does it accurately show altitude? I think this might be very entertaining.
Old Jan 10, 08, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (but still missing SPG)

I'm trying to figure out the best way to travel with this. The GPS unit itself is quite light and compact -- about the size and weight of a pack of playing cards -- and has a nice, trim leather carrying case. However, it comes with a rather bulky cigarette-lighter-to-USB power cord, and the suction-cup windshield mount, though light, is also bulky.

I'm trying to figure out how best to fit all this in my traveling electronics kit (which already consists of a lot stuff).

Do you take the suction cup mount with you? Do you use the cigarette-lighter adapter, or depend on the batteries and charge it off your laptop? Is there some alternative accessories for charging and mounting that are more compact?
I hate windshield mounts, so I bought this:

http://tinyurl.com/2xyf5c

Obviously, you still have to take part of the mount with you along with this, but it's flat and fits in a briefcase. Also, it's legal (unlike windshield mounts) in Minnesota and California.

I take the cigarette lighter if I know I'll be in the car more than a few hours driving about. On most business trips, not. Otherwise, I just take the USB cable and charge off my laptop at night.

Links above this do seem to reduce the profile or amount of stuff you have to carry dramatically.

I still consider the 350 the best balance of functionality and design.
Old Jan 10, 08, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

Obviously, you still have to take part of the mount with you along with this, but it's flat and fits in a briefcase. Also, it's legal (unlike windshield mounts) in Minnesota and California.
This looks interesting. Is it heavy?
Old Jan 10, 08, 6:57 pm

Programs: TK E+, BA Gold, Marriott/HH Gold, IC Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

I used to carry that around with my nuvi 350 too...until the day I was traveling with only my laptop bag. I found that Blu Tack works just as well and takes up a lot less space/weight.
Old Jan 10, 08, 8:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I also have the Nuvi 350. The battery life is long enough that I don't even bother taking the car adapter with me any more, I just use the USB cable and charge it from my laptop at night. The windshield suction mount doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother other people, I still take it with me when I travel.
Old Jan 10, 08, 9:35 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
I was going to ask about that. I saw a website that indicated that UA allows use of a GPS in-flight, and I'm planning to try it out Sunday. Does it actually follow along the highways? Does it accurately show altitude? I think this might be very entertaining.
It works, although I think its against FAA rules. I asked a Continental Express pilot or FO, and he said he thought it was too, but that it wouldn't do any harm:
Me: If I were to use my Garmin, would it screw anything up in the cockpit?
Cap'n: It shouldn't
Me: Oh I didn't know because I don't think you're allowed to use them
Cap'n: I think you're right, and I don't know why they don't want you to use them.
Me: So hypothetically...
Cap'n: Yea, you'd be fine, you're not gonna take the plane down.
I have a nuvi 260, mine was staying on the highways when we were on them, but most of the time it just showed where I was. I had the actual directions off, just following along the map. As for the alt, I didn't look for it, and I don't know if the 260 does it or not. My service kept going in and out, I think as I was going through the clouds I would lose satellite signal.
Its fun to watch as you're on approach, our speed kept dropping, and we took a BIG drop when the flaps went up.
Have fun, use at your own risk!
PS-when you land, you'll actually be able to see how close you are to the terminal, end of runway, etc, so you can see if you need to keep your seatbelt on because you'll "be taxiing for a few more minutes and this is an active taxiway..."
Old Jan 10, 08, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm almost 100% positive that CO specifically allows GPS use. Look at the fine print in Continental magazine regarding electronic devices.

In answer to the question above, some units follow your path in a straight line. Some try to follow roads as if you were driving. It all depends on the unit and the settings you have chosen.
Old Jan 10, 08, 10:39 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I just bought one of these as I was going through the checkout at OfficeMAx - mainly with my wallet, glasses and phone in mind. But it appears it would work equally well for a GPS.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: