Wiki Posts
Search

How do you travel with your GPS?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
It's fun to capture your lat/lon/alt and plot your track when you get home. The program I use is on this site: http://www.wwmx.org/

It gives you not only a terrestrial plot, but also an altitude profile.
The only program on the site that looked like it would do this was WWMX Track Download. However, when I tried to download it, I got a window saying, "Coming Soon." What are you using exactly?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I'm still trying to figure out how best to carry around the DASH! :-(
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I'm still trying to figure out how best to carry around the DASH! :-(
Yeah, "great" form factor for travel eh...
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I hate windshield mounts, so I bought this:

http://tinyurl.com/2xyf5c
I used this on my trip to the Super Bowl in AZ earlier this month. It seems like this could kill somebody in a collision though. I don't quite understand how it's deemed safe, as wouldn't it become a projectile in any kind of crash? If the whole thing (holder & GPS unit) weighs 2 to 5 lbs., at 55 mph that becomes 110 to 275 lbs. potentially coming towards your head.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Originally Posted by PTravel
The only program on the site that looked like it would do this was WWMX Track Download. However, when I tried to download it, I got a window saying, "Coming Soon." What are you using exactly?
http://www.wwmx.org/Download.aspx
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by riteshraja
I have the same unit. Even though it has voice prompt I find it useful to carry the mount. The changer is that comes with it is bulky so I bought this thing

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

and then carry with me a mini-usb cable which has many other uses.
When I plug my Nuvi 350 into a similar device, it immediately goes into "I'm connected to a computer, so I wont let you use me" mode. It also does this when I directly connect it to a PC, but not when using the car or AC charger. Is there some trick to making the nuvi operate in this scenario? Or is there something special required of the charger (that this one has)?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
Thanks, but that's the page I was trying to download from. When I click on WWMX Track Download, I get "Coming Soon." I do see that I can download WWMX Client Application. I'll try that.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by angra
When I plug my Nuvi 350 into a similar device, it immediately goes into "I'm connected to a computer, so I wont let you use me" mode. Is there some trick to making the nuvi operate in this scenario? ?
There are a couple of solutions to this posted on gpspassion
Old Feb 23, 2008, 6:18 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Thanks! FT to the rescue!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Back to OP's topics: Travel with GPS...how?

If my travel involves driving and flying, I usually bring all accessories with me (pack them all into a *A amenity kit). Its a lot of loose items. I keep on reading this thread for ideas.
I use a Nuvi 370, really handy when traveling in Europe.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:45 am

The Nuvi 350 has a long battery life, so there is no need for me to carry the cigarette lighter cord. I also don't need to see the screen when I'm driving because I rely exclusively on the spoken instructions, so I don't carry a mounting device either. Only need AC adaptor and/or USB cable for charging.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Bobster
The Nuvi 350 has a long battery life, so there is no need for me to carry the cigarette lighter cord. I also don't need to see the screen when I'm driving because I rely exclusively on the spoken instructions, so I don't carry a mounting device either. Only need AC adaptor and/or USB cable for charging.
The battery life on the Nuvi 350 is very impressive. I can go about 2 trips - 5 days each - before i need to charge.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Thanks for all the links. I have the Nuvi 650 and was trying to find a way to leave the mounting/charging arm home. I called Garmin and they said there's no way to charge it without the arm.

I haven't used it much, and when I do, I've plugged it in, so I'm not sure how the battery life is.

Anyone have experience? If I can't get one of the USB adapters, I may just leave the arm home & charge it using my laptop.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:36 pm

I have the 650 as well and I bought this power cable from best buy when I was on the road one week and ran out of power. Even though its not listed, it does power the 650.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1188559781110
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Many thanks. If it works on your 650, it should work on mine.

And to think, I called Garmin and they said they didn't have a product that would allow me to charge without the arm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.