Community
Wiki Posts
Search

latest Mi-Fi type units (for SIM cards)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:05 am
Original Poster

latest Mi-Fi type units (for SIM cards)

Here is a link to the latest models by Novatel.

http://www.novatelwireless.com/index...d=19&Itemid=12

Can anyone report back on usage for international AND US
with one of the newer models?

Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Can't talk about international usage, but I've got a 4510 on Verizon, and it works great - with one major flaw.

Performance is great. I've used used it on both 3G and 4G and wouldn't say that I've noticed much difference in performance, although I haven't tried doing any form of speed tests on either network.

Battery is OK. Maybe 3-4 hours of continual use, although I've never run it down enough to be fully sure. Definitely makes it past the 2 hour mark without any issues.

Charging is the problem. It charges via a micro-USB connector from a plug pack or over USB, but when you're charging via USB connected to a computer it disables the device! No 3G/4G, no Wifi, no USB tethering! The moment it sees the computer on the other end of the cable it goes into firmware upgrade mode. There are solutions involving hacking the cable or buying a 'charge only' cable that has the data pins disconnected and shorted out so that it thinks it's connected to a plug pack rather than a computer, but the fact that have made it this way in the first place makes no sense to me...

Given the choice again I'd probably go with a different device that allows charging from USB whilst using it (and possibly even USB tethering), but other than that I'm happy with it for now.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Are you aware of hardware options other than Novatel?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by docbert
Charging is the problem. It charges via a micro-USB connector from a plug pack or over USB, but when you're charging via USB connected to a computer it disables the device! No 3G/4G, no Wifi, no USB tethering! The moment it sees the computer on the other end of the cable it goes into firmware upgrade mode. There are solutions involving hacking the cable or buying a 'charge only' cable that has the data pins disconnected and shorted out so that it thinks it's connected to a plug pack rather than a computer, but the fact that have made it this way in the first place makes no sense to me...

Given the choice again I'd probably go with a different device that allows charging from USB whilst using it (and possibly even USB tethering), but other than that I'm happy with it for now.
There's a recent firmware update (last 2-3 weeks) that fixes this issue.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by bukzin
+1

I've been very happy with my Cradlepoint PHS-300 and unlocked Huawei "surf stick" for all my European travels.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by troyb
There's a recent firmware update (last 2-3 weeks) that fixes this issue.
Indeed! On a whim I went looking for new firmware last night, found the new version and upgraded to it.

You can now power the device via USB whilst using it, but it still doesn't charge the battery via USB whilst it's turned on. (Due, I'm presuming, to limited power being available?)

Still not perfect, but a good step forward over the previous firmware.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:05 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by bukzin
http://www.amazon.com/UNLOCKED-HUAWE...1876958&sr=1-1

or a broader search

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?...qid=1321877070
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I bought a mifi spot from Vodafone when I was in Italy earlier this month.

http://www.vodafone.it/190/trilogy/j...rnet_wifi_pack

Price is now up to E49 but when I bought it it was E29 - 3GB over 3 months (I was there for two weeks and burned through about 2GB). It's a contract but can be terminated with no penalty.

Am back now so I own the mifi (it's unlocked). Haven't used it in the States yet as I have a Clear 3G/4G but if I could find a reasonable priced paygo data SIM (non TMO because of the UMTS frequencies), I would probably get it for coverage backup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.