FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Does the new Google maps with "my location" replace GPS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/763125-does-new-google-maps-my-location-replace-gps.html)

UALOneKPlus Dec 1, 2007 11:07 am

Does the new Google maps with "my location" replace GPS?

I've been hearing about this new Google beta maps 2.0 for mobile devices, and how great it is.

I haven't tried it out yet, but for those who have tried it, is it a substitute for a GPS unit at all?

Pros? cons?

ScottC Dec 1, 2007 11:11 am

Not really.

It used the CellID, which means it knows roughly where you are, but it's not a replacement for GPS.

UALOneKPlus Dec 1, 2007 11:33 am

Thanks Scott. That's what I figured.

h_united Dec 1, 2007 11:34 am

Also for Google Map you will need to pay for data usage to your service provider.

UALOneKPlus Dec 1, 2007 11:44 am

I have unlimited data so that's not a concern.

Here's another question - I already have a handy dandy GPS with me most of the time, so is it worth the time and hassle (of some of the bugs I read) to download it and use it, if I already have my GPS?

Does it give me anything useful / productive besides the "cool" factor?

nmenaker Dec 1, 2007 12:08 pm

well, it does give you all the 411 information about what is around you, and maps traffic right to the device, does routing, has lookup, autodial of listings, etc. I have used the current product over a year now with an external GPS. The CellId gps doesn't work too well for me here in the Bay Area. And, it certainly isn't accurate to any extent like a GPS signal is.

UALOneKPlus Dec 1, 2007 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker (Post 8820406)
well, it does give you all the 411 information about what is around you, and maps traffic right to the device, does routing, has lookup, autodial of listings, etc. I have used the current product over a year now with an external GPS. The CellId gps doesn't work too well for me here in the Bay Area. And, it certainly isn't accurate to any extent like a GPS signal is.

Thans for the info. Might be worthwhile to check out, I guess.

drummingcraig Dec 1, 2007 1:06 pm

One big drawback I see is that since it works using cell towers to "ping" your location, if you were in an area with weak or no cell coverage it ain't gonna work. A GPS device would'nt have that problem at all.

Craig

Dubai Stu Dec 1, 2007 1:17 pm

The prior poster wrote:

One big drawback I see is that since it works using cell towers to "ping" your location, if you were in an area with weak or no cell coverage it ain't gonna work. A GPS device would'nt have that problem at all.

My response is:

With both Microsoft and Google Maps, the map cache on your PDA is minimal meaning that if you don't have a cell tower to triangulate from, you probable don't have data on the phone either.

drummingcraig Dec 1, 2007 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu (Post 8820628)
The prior poster wrote:

My response is:

With both Microsoft and Google Maps, the map cache on your PDA is minimal meaning that if you don't have a cell tower to triangulate from, you probable don't have data on the phone either.

Obviously. I omitted that assuming that most folks would already know that. ;)

Craig

CessnaJock Dec 1, 2007 3:09 pm

Multilateration systems require three or more towers, trilateration three, and Time Of Arrival systems require two.

But getting data to Google Maps only requires one tower. If the phone knows where it is via GPS, GMM is useful almost anywhere. I've used it across the Sonoran desert (I-10 PHX-LAX) without difficulty. (I know, I know. Like I'm going to get lost on I-10.)

DeafFlyer Dec 1, 2007 6:14 pm

I know the location is off, but last night I was able to use it to get un-lost. It showed me the area I was in and from that I was able to figure out where I was.

CPMaverick Dec 1, 2007 6:34 pm

I just downloaded it but it does not work at my home.

I am anxious to try it overseas, and see how it works. It would be terrific in Japan.

mac-guy Dec 1, 2007 7:08 pm

The Google maps for mobile GPS web page (www.google.com/gps.html?hl=en&phone=3) says the Blackberry 8800 and Ocean from Helio both use internal GPS. I guess they use tower triangulation if GPS isn't available.

Dugernaut Dec 2, 2007 8:49 am

Thanks to the OP ^ Just upgraded and it looks pretty cool.