Reload this Page >

Who owns the Number

Who owns the Number

Old Nov 1, 07, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Who owns the Number

So 5 years ago I started with company A
(looks like that journey is coming to an end)
I had to get my own cell phone and service plan back then. They reimbursed me for monthly fee(never for the phone though)
Well in June of this year they convinced me to join their plan(company shared bucket o' minutes)
I ported my number over, bought the phone I wanted(T680)

So I will be keeping the phone regardless-shoot they can be had for free now, so big whiptodo

I want MY number though
Who gets to keep it?

Last edited by windwalker; Nov 1, 07 at 5:05 pm Reason: added bucket wording
Old Nov 1, 07, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, *wood
I've kept mine through about 5 jobs - shouldn't be an issue
Old Nov 1, 07, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GopherPuckGuy View Post
I've kept mine through about 5 jobs - shouldn't be an issue
Just port it over to a new company\plan, before I walk out the door?
Old Nov 1, 07, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Yes -- port it before you leave and they terminate the account/number. Once you cancel whatever service you have with the number, the number is no longer yours. There's lots of good info on this here.
Old Nov 2, 07, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the answers. I've changed over several personal numbers,know about porting over.

Just was\am wondering if it worked the same with a business account.
Kind of wonder too if it's going to involve current company having to let that number be pulled from their pool.

The work plan is using a small LoCo telco, that resells,Cing, oops the new AT&T. With that being said it looks like the only two GSM providers here in my part of NC are going to be ATT and Suncom. Both are priced about the same, Wonder if ATT is going to have any problems just taking me out of a business plan to a personal plan

(D*mn plans are expensive, sticker shock, been a while since I had to price new services Voice and data-OUCH)

Last edited by windwalker; Nov 2, 07 at 8:14 am
Old Nov 2, 07, 11:08 am

The company I left recently considered the number theirs and I couldn't port mine out of the business account. Your situation is a little bit different in that the number was initially yours. I had been with the company for 8 years and they assigned me the number.
Old Nov 2, 07, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Yes -- port it before you leave and they terminate the account/number. Once you cancel whatever service you have with the number, the number is no longer yours. There's lots of good info on this here.
yup-did just that with a company cell phone as most of whom i knew, had my cell number. it was a snap for me as the company at&t, (the old one), and i did a three way call and that was it.

now the good thing about it was that where the company had the number for 5 years prior to me taking over, as far as at&t (the new one now) is concerned, i've been a customer for almost 15 years and being a long long long time customer has it's advantages
Old Nov 2, 07, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie View Post
yup-did just that with a company cell phone as most of whom i knew, had my cell number. it was a snap for me as the company at&t, (the old one), and i did a three way call and that was it.
Should this read "it was a snap for me as the company(the old one), at&t and i did a three way call and that was it.?

That's what I'm trying to avoid, the 3 way call that and what Jenn_1K ran up against . Just steal\borrow\take my Number away in the middle of the night and company is none the wiser

Can you port anumber over to a prepay plan I wonder, hmmmm...

Last edited by windwalker; Nov 2, 07 at 2:25 pm
Old Nov 2, 07, 2:44 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
Should this read "it was a snap for me as the company(the old one), at&t and i did a three way call and that was it.?

That's what I'm trying to avoid, the 3 way call that and what Jenn_1K ran up against . Just steal\borrow\take my Number away in the middle of the night and company is none the wiser

Can you port anumber over to a prepay plan I wonder, hmmmm...
You aren't going to avoid that unless you are authorized on the company phone account to make changes to it, most likely. You will need enough info to make the new phone provider put the port through. You'd probably have an easier time porting to a new phone provider vs separating out with ATT which wouldn't involve a port. Still, this could be a sticky situation and open you up to a heap of trouble. If they just added you in June, there might be a contract on your number now with a hefty early termination fee that would be owed if you move it. Better to talk to your employer and find out if this is the case. If so, you can have it decoupled from the business account and take over responsibility while keeping it on ATT, and avoid the term fee. If you try to steal it, you might end up looking at the $175 termination bill deducted from your last pay, or whatever.

I would say, though, that unless the company had you sign something, you should be in the clear getting the number back. But, your employer may choose to fight you on this anyway. We assign our numbers and consider them ours, and in the couple of cases over the last few years where someone insisted upon bringing their personal number in, we had them sign a letter that said the number now belongs to us. In one case, we still let the guy have it back when he left. (The other one was transfered much longer ago and the employee is still here.)

If you don't have particularly good relations with your employer, well, trying to take the number with them none the wiser isn't going to help much. Unless the bill is extremely large, thousands of dollars worth, they will likely notice, and even if it is they still might notice (and you might have a harder time getting the number ported anyway).
Old Nov 2, 07, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by CrazyOne View Post
You aren't going to avoid that unless you are authorized on the company phone account to make changes to it, most likely.......
right-as that's what i was told by my old company's "cell phone person" as that's how they kept tabs on the phones and bills-you need to be authorized to make any changes.
Old Nov 2, 07, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I just switched jobs...1st time in almost 12 years. They wanted me to pay the 175.00 cancellation fee to Verizon...(They made me switch to V for their Blackberry)

I told them when they allowed me to switch number back to CBW, I would ship back the Blackberry and laptop.

I kept the number.

(With Verizion, the "owner", ie the company in this case, must OK the port over when the contract is still in effect)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: