FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Cube effect for Windows: DeskSpace (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/751857-cube-effect-windows-deskspace.html)

skofarrell Oct 30, 2007 5:48 pm

Cube effect for Windows: DeskSpace

Conversation on the ubuntu thread got me wondering if there's a "cube effect" desktop switching utility for windows, and there is: DeskSpace

Its pretty cool, and once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you lived without it.

SDQBound Oct 30, 2007 6:38 pm

Wow...looks like it consumes 8 times more memory than the Aero Interface does... 2GB RAM and it was running very slow.

ScottC Oct 30, 2007 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by B7e7US (Post 8649001)
Wow...looks like it consumes 8 times more memory than the Aero Interface does... 2GB RAM and it was running very slow.

Must have been a slow video card or CPU cause Aero runs a smooth as silk on my 2Gb machines.

Thanks Sko, this looks interesting.

DeafFlyer Oct 30, 2007 8:12 pm

I like the price for the one in Ubuntu.

alect Oct 30, 2007 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by skofarrell (Post 8648749)
Conversation on the ubuntu thread got me wondering if there's a "cube effect" desktop switching utility for windows, and there is: DeskSpace

Its pretty cool, and once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you lived without it.

When it says working with multiple desktops, does that mean working with/as multiple users on the machine or just virtual desktops for the same user? For eg I have a couple of users on my machine (one for work and one personal). I often need to switch between these two. The only way I know of in XP is logging off as one user and loggin on as the other. Is this (or something else) a better/easier way?

DeafFlyer Oct 31, 2007 5:22 am

Originally Posted by alect (Post 8649825)
When it says working with multiple desktops, does that mean working with/as multiple users on the machine or just virtual desktops for the same user? For eg I have a couple of users on my machine (one for work and one personal). I often need to switch between these two. The only way I know of in XP is logging off as one user and loggin on as the other. Is this (or something else) a better/easier way?

It's for the same user. However, you don't need to log off to switch users in XP.

skofarrell Oct 31, 2007 6:48 am

Originally Posted by B7e7US (Post 8649001)

Make sure you're in 16 bit mode (not 32). When I tried it in 32, it was dog slow.

skofarrell Oct 31, 2007 6:49 am

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer (Post 8649355)
I like the price for the one in Ubuntu.

Agreed, but its a Windows world...

alect Oct 31, 2007 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer (Post 8650728)
It's for the same user. However, you don't need to log off to switch users in XP.

One of my "users" is attached to a domain - so yes I do have to log off to switch to/from.

SDQBound Oct 31, 2007 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by skofarrell (Post 8651034)
Make sure you're in 16 bit mode (not 32). When I tried it in 32, it was dog slow.

Yeah it was on 32-bit. Once I changed to 16 it worked fast. BTW, CPU is Centrino Duo 2.0 GHZ, GPU Geforce 6800