FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Difference Between T-Mo "Web" and T-Mo "internet" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/745002-difference-between-t-mo-web-t-mo-internet.html)

jsnydcsa Oct 10, 2007 6:12 pm

Difference Between T-Mo "Web" and T-Mo "internet"

Is T-Mobile screwing me? I have Blackberry through T-Mo that I use for email access (POP3 via BIS) and web access (check a flight, gate, etc., quick something lookup through various mobile.XXX.com web sites). I've seen HUGE pricing disparities between T-Mo Web and T-Mo Internet. I'm paying around $19.99 for unlimited emails and web access (in the US) and the occasional (e.g. add, use, cancel, pay prorated monthly rate) international plan.

Am I missing something, I've seen plans for as low as $5.99. Are these cheaper plans for some sort of lower level of service (e.g. data limits) or lower level of access (e.g. no BIS email service). Or, is T-Mo screwing me?

ScottC Oct 10, 2007 6:26 pm

The T-mobile "web" plan is theoretically only for accessing the web on your phones mobile browser, the $19.99 plan is unrestricted. The cheaper plan doesn't have all ports open, so some things like Sling and VPN won't work.

But in your case you are probably on a Blackberry plan, and there is no alternative for that. Blackberry devices need a special plan to work, they can't just operate on a cheap data plan.

Your $20 is actually pretty cheap, most other operators charge much more for data, especially on a Blackberry.

nerd Oct 10, 2007 6:47 pm

The cheaper option give you access to the T-Mo portal, only (which includes some access to CNN, ESPN, etc...)

The more expensive option gives you access to all mobile browser sites.

Not sure how email is affected -- I don't have it on my t-mobile phone.

CessnaJock Oct 10, 2007 6:54 pm

There are really three T-Mobile phone data products, and people get them confused. (The following is theoretical. There are numerous holes in the T-Mo system that allow subscribers to get more than they're paying for.)

T-Zones is free, but it only allows phones to connect to a commercial server that offers downloadable ringtones, wallpaper, that sort of stuff.

T-MobileWeb costs $5.99, and is supposed to provide unlimited access, but only to WAP sites (whose content is supposed to be bandwidth-sensitive).

T-Mobile Internet: three plans, from $19.99 to $49.99 (depending on what client terminal equipment is used) for complete access.

dtsm Oct 10, 2007 7:35 pm

For a very comprehensive explanation to OP question, read the writings here carefully: http://www.gruups.com/tzones/.

Also, there is a thread "BB 8320" (search from earlier this month) that talks about same....there is a hack but appears TMO has closed it, can't ask/obtain for BB enabler and TMobileWeb under the same account anymore....so "looks like" you're stuck with paying the $19.99 BIS plan.

jsnydcsa Oct 10, 2007 8:10 pm

That seems to solve it! I'll stay where I am ($19.99 is low) and just not rock the boat. I recently went through a wave of issues with Tmo over HotSpot at Home (loved it, but the rep sold me on "free" international calls to the chagrin of my bill, returned everything quickly). So, I think I will not stir up the pot and leave things as is. Besides, it sound like I don't get the features I need with the lower cost plans.

CessnaJock Oct 11, 2007 10:55 am

With T-Mo, ya never know

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa (Post 8542174)
...it sound like I don't get the features I need with the lower cost plans.

Well - maybe you can.

We have four phones on a T-Mo family plan. The kids' numbers don't have any data extras, but with their RAZR and t619 phones, they can access any internet site as long as it doesn't choke the proxy server. I have the $5.99 T-MobileWeb, which I use on either an iPAQ 6510 or tethered to my laptop, and I get the entire internet (at 45kbps). I get my POP3 email by forwarding it to Google and Yahoo webmail addresses. The internet connection also works in Europe without any additional charges, provided my device is registered on a T-Mo site.

nmenaker Oct 11, 2007 2:37 pm

get more

I haven't found a way to get the 19.99$ lower with BB plans, but I HAVE had t-mo through in the monthly wifi access for free.

YMMV