Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How do I use my old XP on new Vista laptop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)

Hi

I am going to buy a new laptop soon, it will have Vista which I do not want ot need,

can I transfer my old XP off my dead desktop computer to the laptop ?

If so what serial numbers do I need ?

the XP was factory installed on the old desktop

Thanks for your help

Rally
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pre-installed XP is almost always an OEM version, and OEM versions are limited to the machine they were originally installed on so chances are your key won't work at all.

You'll most likely need to buy a retail package of XP, though I'm fairly sure I read here a few months ago that you should technically be allowed to "downgrade" to XP from Vista using an XP upgrade version, but I'm not sure how that'll work.

Are you sure you don't want to just keep Vista? Even those here in this forum that thought they'd hate it, ended up finding it quite ok.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 10:56 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Second ScottC's advice.

Your Vista license allows you to downgrade to XP, eventually a dual boot might be of interest to you, once you`ll have to format it all...

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide might be a good starting point for you.

Good luck !
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A couple of points:

1. A Vista license does not give you any rights to XP. Some Volume License Agreements permit it, but no license bought on a single user basis does.

2. As far as I recall, XP OEM did not contain a license restriction prohibiting transfer to another machine. Even if it did, it's far from clear whether such a restriction is valid and enforceable.

3. Your OEM XP probably came with installation disks. If the install routine checks for the identity of the machine, you're out of luck. If not, you may be able to install XP on another machine.

4. Microsoft distributes Virtual PC 2007 for free -- you can find it by searching the Microsoft website and downloading it. This is a very solid piece of software that lets you run alternative operating systems completely isolated from, but within, the host O/S. I run XP in a Virtual PC on my Vista Business laptop. I use it for those programs that are absolutely and completely incompatible with Vista, and also as a second PC (I use my laptop at the office with an external monitor -- Virtual PC lets me run two different "computers," one on each monitor.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:59 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PTravel
4. Microsoft distributes Virtual PC 2007 for free -- you can find it by searching the Microsoft website and downloading it.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=virtual
Old Jul 28, 2007, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

XP OEM is only for use on the hardware it was delivered on.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm
Old Jul 28, 2007, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rally; if you have problems installing with the XP key on your old machine, PM me. I have a 10 license pack off volume licensing I'm no longer using and will gladly supply you with a working and legal key for XP.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
XP OEM is only for use on the hardware it was delivered on.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm
First Sale Doctrine says otherwise. Court decisions are split.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 3:06 pm

I was fully anticipating a similar downgrade to XP on a new computer that came with Vista installed. I've since decided that by adjusting the theme and other settings in Vista, I can get it looking & acting quite similar to XP - which I previously did with XP to make it look and feel like Windows 2000... which I modified to look like Windows 98! So - Vista on my machine is more like Windows 98! Not sure what your reasons are for the downgrade, but I've noticed a few improvements in Vista over XP.

Regardless of the OS version you choose, formatting and installing from scratch is often a good choice in order to remove the junk software typically loaded on a new computer. Good luck either way.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
First Sale Doctrine says otherwise. Court decisions are split.
First sale doctrine can say whatever it wants. There is a 99% chance the key simply won't work or that the install CD will just tell you that your machine isn't valid for the version you are trying to install.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
First sale doctrine can say whatever it wants. There is a 99% chance the key simply won't work or that the install CD will just tell you that your machine isn't valid for the version you are trying to install.
It doesn't hurt to try. It's a problem with Vista. I know lots of people using OEM XP.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 4:50 pm

If you have the XP disk, use it to install on the new machine using the key on the sticker from your old computer. It won't balk on accepting the numbers. It may balk at activating the license (which must be done within 30 days). If so, use the phone method (instructions will be onscreen) and tell the MS operator your system crashed and you replaced the hard drive. They will help you get it activated.

If you do not have the XP disk, and you use one from someone else's computer, it may reject the key at the outset. In that case, you need to be using a disk and key pair that belong together and are not currently in use (getting MS updates). Once again, use the phone method and the crashed hard disk excuse and you'll have no problems.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 8:12 am

I used the xp disc from my desktop to intall xp on my vista laptop and it didnt ask for a key or anything but now i cant find the right drivers anywhere.. I'm not very experienced in this kind of thing, any ideas?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
All of you are wrong. OEM and retail licenses are non-transferable and do not contain downgrade rights. Only volume licensing agreements (depending on type/terms) allow for transfer (remove from old PC and install on new) and downgrade (use of older version). Also, running XP within a virtual environment (either Virtual PC, VMware, or any other) and with the absence of a volume license agreement to the contrary, requires an additional license for each OS installed.

That being said, if you still have the XP CD and key (should be on a sticker on the side of the case) it is possible that it might have one activation in it left.

Also, if you take the leap to Windows 7, it will include "XP Mode" for no extra cost for Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions. Basically, XP Mode is just a XP SP3 VM running Virtual PC, but without the licensing headache.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.