Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sony TX15p Laptop

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Sony TX15p Laptop

Ok Flyer Talkers, I need Help. I need to find the Sony TX15p In black or silver with windows XP. Where's the best deal and most reliable seller? I found it on cdw but they are asking $2000 which is kinda high.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure of that model number?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

My error I didn't include the first part. It's VGN-TXN15P.

Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:17 pm

Programs: QF Silver
According to www.pricegrabber.com TigerDirect has it for about $1600 delivered.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

WOW thanks
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Should I go with the 1.5g or 2g ram? This notebook will be primarily for staying connected while on the road and surfing the net. I will also watch movies and view pictures (no editing) while on the go.

Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by miamitreo
Should I go with the 1.5g or 2g ram? This notebook will be primarily for staying connected while on the road and surfing the net. I will also watch movies and view pictures (no editing) while on the go.

Thanks
This is an exceptional notebook. I use a similar model while on the road and have always been happy with it. My machine is maxed out at 1.5GB RAM - which seems fine running XP and even moderate image editing. The newer models should have Vista installed, which seems to crave RAM, so I'd suggest getting as much as you can afford. Although - it might be possible to upgrade in the future if you grow out of the 1GB or 1.5GB, perhaps for less than the retail price difference in models... look into it.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ram depends on how much the retailer charges for it. Lately, Ram prices have dropped so much that you may be better off with just 1Gb and adding more yourself. I've seen 2Gb (2x1Gb) notebook ram on sale for as little as $50 in the past weeks.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:17 am
Original Poster

If you can post a link for the deal you mention that would be great.

I'll be visiting Tiger Direct this afternoon to see if they do indeed have the sony txn15p instock.

Thanks again for the help....
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Ok Flyer Talkers, I need Help. I need to find the Sony TX15p In black or silver with windows XP. Where's the best deal and most reliable seller? I found it on cdw but they are asking $2000 which is kinda high.
I have a TX-670P which was the top of the line when the TX series was launched in October, 2005. It's a terrific computer. The only problem I have ever had was recently when the battery went dead. It was replaced under the extended warranty, no questions asked, sent to me by FedEx two day service.

Someone asked if you are sure of the model number, TX15p. I have a different question: are you sure this is a current model? It does not seem to be listed on the Sony Vaio TX Series home page at http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...categoryId=578

I bought my computer at the Sony Style company-owned story in the Sony North American headquarters building in New York. If you buy from them (or any of their other U.S. locations) or the sonystyle.com website, the customer service is superb and should you need a return, there is, from what I hear, no problem.

Next time I'm in their neighborhood, I want to check out the TZ series.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:59 am
Original Poster

The vgn-txn15p was released just before windows vista which i think was in the first quater of this year or the last quater of 2006.

I'll update you all once my unit arrives..

I love this forum so much info, not enough time......
Old Jul 27, 2007, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know if this laptop comes with a case or slip cover? If not can you all recommend one. I like the sound of a leather one. Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2007, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Review

Here is my humble review of the sony txn-15p laptop... Enjoy

Sony VGN-TXN15P Review

This is a review of the Sony Model vgn-txn15p 11.1” screen, windows xp version laptop. This laptop weighs in at around 3 pounds and is very thin. It has been in use by this reviewer for approximately 1 month. The battery life is absolutely amazing. Dvd movies have been watched start and stopped as well as internet usage via the built in sprint mobile broadband card and there was still PLENTY of juice left in the tank. Usually photo intensive pages are viewed and the sony battery just continues to kick. The only gripe So far is that the processor is not a step up from the norm now adays, however it is totally tolerable as the weight and battery life more than make up for it. There is also a built in dvd-cd burner. As of this posting the dvd burning capabilities have not been tested, however that will soon be squared away in the next week or so. The general advice for this laptop has been to get rid of the junk ware that comes with this laptop. The advise was followed and as a result the start up time is in this writers opinion “not bad at all” and sometimes fairly quick. This laptop is so light. Now only if there were a selection of accessories by way of sleeves and cases that offer protection for this laptop. The smallish standard size that has been found so far is the 13.3” size which is fairly common among online dealers as well as the major big box stores. The search continues for the perfect carrying case that will fit comfortably on top of, say a carry-on roller bag. There have been a few questions asked while traveling like “What is that” when others have seen the lid closed. Without saying a word the top is opened and usually the response is “Wow, That’s a laptop” “What does it do”. The response to that is usually “Everything”!!! Speaking of everything the features of this notebook must be touched on. Let’s start out with the connectivity. Bluetooth, Wi-Fi(A,B &G), as well as the aforementioned Sprint mobile Broadband is included. For this writer this is the perfect 1, 2, 3 combo as there is virtually unlimited connectivity options. Near free (trusted) Wi-fi, use it. On the road (as a passenger) use the Mobile Broadband. And last but not least use of a cell phone via the Bluetooth and tethering is an option. While speaking on Bluetooth, one must mention the limitless possibilities of that feature. Want to connect a keyboard or mouse use Bluetooth instead of having wires flowing out of the computer or having to use a USB hub. The laptop does however come with 2 standard 2.0 USB ports as well as an Ethernet and regular phone line input. On the front of the laptops’ face below and to the right of the touchpad are spaces allotted for a sd card and Sony’s memory stick. This cuts down on the need for an adaptor to get files and pics from sd cards to the laptop, something that can be lost or left behind at the office or home front. The ability to cut down on peripherals adds to the light weight of this laptop.
The keyboard on which this review is being typed is fair to good. This rating once more time is spent using it will likely change. One issue is that the built in bios sensor is sometimes triggered while typing which in turn brings up the enrollment screen. This is annoying however there has to be a setting or allowance for it to be disabled. The keys are responsive and easy to use. For this writers use the necessary keys are present and placement appears to be spot on. The touchpad works great out of the box. No adjustments were needed. The scroll however seems to be hit or miss. The sweet spot has not been found yet.
The power adaptor lacks the same styling attention that the laptop itself receives. The cord is also on the short side. Other laptop makers mainly HP usually come with a 5-6 foot power cord. What does one do when the battery does finally run out while in the coffee shop and the outlet is 5 feet away? Dilemma !!!!
The screen is lit by LED’s rather than a LCD display which plays a huge part in the battery life of this laptop. Sony really hit the mark with this series of ultra portables, which the rest of the laptop makers are scrambling to catch up to.
Audio controls are located in two places on this laptop. Along the hinge edge near the power button as well as the front leading edge. One thing that is bothersome is when the mute button is pressed it makes an awful high pitched beep alerting you that it was pressed. Duh Sony The button was pressed because NO sound was desired…
Overall This laptop has been top notch. Other than the few quarks mentioned this laptop is an ideal travel companion for the business person that wants light weight, Great battery life, and all the features of the big laptops. As long as it is understood that this is NOT a gaming laptop all is well. There has not been a need for customer service as of this writing. However If the situation arises that windows has to be reloaded customer service may have to be contacted as there is no recovery disk included in the packaging. Before that is done answers will be sought via the information warehouse a.k.a. the internet first.

Updated to add that a Tumi small expandable laptop bag was purchased today. First impressions are good and a review will be added upon return to home...
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

Now only if there were a selection of accessories by way of sleeves and cases that offer protection for this laptop. The smallish standard size that has been found so far is the 13.3” size which is fairly common among online dealers as well as the major big box stores. The search continues for the perfect carrying case that will fit comfortably on top of, say a carry-on roller bag.
As mentioned previously, I have a TX670P, one of the predecessors of your model. I purchased a case that is sort of padded mesh. It's black with grey piping and has a metal Vaio logo. Women tell me it looks like a clutch purse.

My practice is to use this case when I am carrying only the computer. If I am going to court, for example, the computer goes into either my portfolio case or my briefcase with nothing and I have no problem. If I am flying, I will place it directly into my carry-on bag.

Recently when I was at the Manhattan Sony Style store, a customer near me had a TX and a similar, but new case, that was all leather.

Lots of luck with your new machine!
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:31 am
Original Poster

[/QUOTE]Updated to add that a Tumi small expandable laptop bag was purchased today. First impressions are good and a review will be added upon return to home...[/QUOTE]

The Tumi case fits it well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.